Cherry Bomb Exhaust? Is it a Joke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll have to disagree with the backpressure posts. If you lose the backpressure, you'll have to rejet or you'll have less power than stock.

Originally Posted By: kelpie
I'll have to disagree with the backpressure posts. If you lose the backpressure, you'll have to rejet or you'll have less power than stock.

Not really on fuel injected vehicles. On carbed vehicles reducing backpressure did tend to lean out things, but the backpressure reduction was always good for a net HP gain.

In highschool (rural South Texas to set the scene/mood) we would get cherry bombs or whatever glasspack was available installed on our trucks (cars were unheard of among males). Right after install the truck would be brought home and the sound critiqued by friends and family. If it wasn't loud enough, the truck would be driven hard to heat up the mufflers well, then a garden hose, on full blast, was run up the tailpipe to flood the glasspack and fracture the glass filling allowing it to either compact, or blow out the rear. Truck was started again, water blown out and the sequence repeated until the sound was "just right".

Ah, Mr. William Hill's engineering techniques. Gotta love 'em
grin2.gif

I just put a cherry bomb on my '96 Bronco. I got it because it was cheap and I could get it retail (AutoZone). The 351 with it sounds great at idle and even on a WOT launch it's not very loud. It's only slight louder than the stock muffler on the highway. I have no idea what it would sound like on a something other than a small block V8 so take this for what it's worth.

It would seem that nobody here knows that cherrybomb now makes flowmaster clones? Flowmasters patent ran out and they did not renew it and now a couple muffler companys make clones that sound exactly the same. Thrush welded mufflers are flowmaster 40 series clones for example.

Here are flowmaster outlaw 3" mufflers. Sort of like a glasspack except these dont have any fiberglass in them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9AmbTx1W0k

Last edited:
I have one on my Chevy pickup, long bed and extended cab, so the exhaust system is LOONG. Sounds great. Great power and smooth, with 207K miles. It depends on your application. I have no rasping or popping, just a nice deep sound.

It seems that an exhaust system is a musical instrument (among other things) that can/should be tuned to the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back