BMW LL04 0w-XX sold in US?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it absolutely have to be 0w-XX? AFAIK, both BMW and MB allow 5w-XX grades as well. And if that's the case, M1 ESP 5w-30 is sold at PepBoys.

Otherwise, if you must have 0w-XX, then potentially some Motul grade might fit the bill. I'm sure there are online places that sell it.

I do not believe that LL-04 is a valid spec in the USA given the lack of lean stratified charge and some operational modes.

At least as far as I understand it... I think that current MY vehicles utilize the LL-01 spec.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I do not believe that LL-04 is a valid spec in the USA given the lack of lean stratified charge and some operational modes.

At least as far as I understand it... I think that current MY vehicles utilize the LL-01 spec.

I think what you're saying is true for BMW gasoline engines operated outside of Europe - they don't want us to use LL04 oils in gasoline engines. But LL04 is still allowed for diesel engines here. And since the OP posted it in the diesel forum, I'm guessing he probably has a diesel engine. I may be wrong on this...

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Does it absolutely have to be 0w-XX? AFAIK, both BMW and MB allow 5w-XX grades as well. And if that's the case, M1 ESP 5w-30 is sold at PepBoys.

Otherwise, if you must have 0w-XX, then potentially some Motul grade might fit the bill. I'm sure there are online places that sell it.

Doesn't have to be 0w, but I had great results running M1 0w-40 in my gasser 330, and the only M1 product sold in the US for BMW diesels (LL04) is the 5w-30 ESP.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

That is correct for gasser models, diesels spec for LL04 "Mid-SAPS" oil in order to extend the life of the emissions equip. I can get away with MB 229.51 since it encompasses LL04.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Doesn't have to be 0w, but I had great results running M1 0w-40 in my gasser 330, and the only M1 product sold in the US for BMW diesels (LL04) is the 5w-30 ESP.

Another option would be Valvoline Synpower 5w-30 MST and 5w-40 MST - NAPA can probably order it for you if they don't have it in stock. But given the choice, I'd probably stick with Mobil.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
And since the OP posted it in the diesel forum, I'm guessing he probably has a diesel engine.

Missed that part...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back