Mobil MX4T or Amsoil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"I tried oil of eye of newt in my Honda 150. It smelled bad. I went back to Rotella T6 5W-40. Much cheaper."

Shame on you.

Do you have any idea how many newt eyes are required to make a litre of oil?

Just got back from a 100 mile ride out in the country on the KLR. Picked up a nail in the rear tire one mile from home. Not happy with that. It's a fairly new MEFO Sport 99. Shouldn't complain too much. I was lucky to be so close to home.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Picked up a nail in the rear tire one mile from home. Not happy with that. It's a fairly new MEFO Sport 99. Shouldn't complain too much. I was lucky to be so close to home.

Did you have to walk the last mile or do you carry a can of "slime"?

Last edited:
Boraticus... You keep running that oil and talk about the money you are saving. I'll keep running MC specific oils and not worry at all about it. It's what the oils cost and not a big deal to me at all.

Originally Posted By: bigbird_1
Picked up a nail in the rear tire one mile from home. Not happy with that. It's a fairly new MEFO Sport 99. Shouldn't complain too much. I was lucky to be so close to home.

It had EZ Seal in it and I rode the last mile home real slow with the tire flat. Sealant doesn't work that good in tube tires.

Now I have to consider whether I should put a plug in it or not to bother repairing it. It's a good (German made) tire with lots of tread on it. Hate to junk it if it can be fixed. What do you think?

Originally Posted By: JCM35
Boraticus... You keep running that oil and talk about the money you are saving. I'll keep running MC specific oils and not worry at all about it. It's what the oils cost and not a big deal to me at all.

It would appear that it cost more to relieve your worries.

I have NO oil worries whatsoever using HDEO. Been using it since the Dead Sea started getting sick with no problems. So, why worry?

I agree on fixing it if it's reasonably feasible. Motorcycle tires are so [censored] expensive compared to their 4 wheeled brothers. It can only be about economy of volume.

Been using it since the Dead Sea started getting sick with no problems.

That's the funniest thing I have read on this forum!

Originally Posted By: bigbird_1

It had EZ Seal in it and I rode the last mile home real slow with the tire flat. Sealant doesn't work that good in tube tires.

Now I have to consider whether I should put a plug in it or not to bother repairing it. It's a good (German made) tire with lots of tread on it. Hate to junk it if it can be fixed. What do you think?

Take a piece of innertube, and glue it to the inside of the tire over the nail hole. Then you can use it, and the tube won't blow a bubble and pop.

Thanks for the tire info.

I'm going to get an interior plug/patch for the hole and put in a heavy duty inner tube. I've had the tubes on hand just for occasions such as this. Looks like tomorrow's job. Maybe Tuesday. It's supposed to start raining then.

One has to wonder as well, how much of the price for the boutique oils is the premium paid for the owner to say "I'm running "Oil of Eye of Newt" in my Lambretta Testosteronee' Grande."

Where can I buy some of that "Testosteronee Grande?" That sound like the kinda oil I need....

The "Testosteronee' Grande' Gonados" is the super exotic bike that needs Eye of Newt oil for lubrication....

Ask if this bandit 1200 owner (air cooled) that put 100,000 miles on his bike using Shell Rotella 15W40 is worried.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43581

Originally Posted By: whitesands

Ask if this bandit 1200 owner (air cooled) that put 100,000 miles on his bike using Shell Rotella 15W40 is worried.

http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43581

Much, if not most oil angst is caused by obsessive compulsion behaviour.

My buddy with the HD who knows nothing about the bike or mechanics in general has OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). I've talked to him about mechanics/oil and it's like talking to one of those nodding dog heads you see on the dashboard of some cars. His eyes glaze over, and I'm sure that everything I'm saying to him sounds like the teacher in a Charlie Brown cartoon.

If his mechanic can't talk sense into him, there's likely no chance whatsoever, that he'll accept the fact he doesn't need to spend $50.00 for oil and do 800 mile oil changes.

OCD has to be one awful thing to live with.

I'd suggest that you would be completely safe and very happy with any AMSOIL 10W-40, 15W-40 or 20W-50 (I use the AMO, myself) for three times the OCI you are suggesting.

Big Kaw's are just not that hard on oil to begin with... Unless you are talking full bore track days, racing, etc.

This I know from personal experience. Change it as often as you wish, but it is not going to dramatically change performance or long-term reliability. These bikes are way, way overbuilt, IMHO.

Cheers! & ENJOY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back