Need 1998 BMW 740iL Trans oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well a month ago I purchased a 98 BMW 740iL with 111,560 miles on her. Now I'm looking for what you guy's consider the "BEST" tranny oil for this car. No I won't be doing rally racing! The Bmw shop says it's due and they use their own BMW approved oil. So I turning to the forum for help and input. I'm also going to use Pentosin brake fluid for the 2 year drain. How many quarts does the tranny take to fill?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Does it have a ZF tranny? What model? Owners manual should give the capacities for everything

It does not say anything about a "ZF Trans" nor the capactiy of oil. Just "Lifetime fluid, no fluid change required." 1998 BMW 740iL model.

That has a ZF 5HP24 that holds about 10.5 quarts total. I have used Amsoil ATF in these at the wholehearted recommendation of my local transmission builder, and it has never let us down. It costs 8.50- 10.50 a quart, depending on how you buy it, or who you get it from. There are a few Amsoil site sponsors here and I recommend you deal with them if that is an option for you. They are great to deal with and professional.

I understand that the newest version of Mobil 1 ATF is now recommended for this application and Maxlife ATF is listing this fluid spec on their newest bottles as well. The OEM stuff will cost you twice as much or more, but it may not be any better quality in my experience. (Perhaps better than the Maxlife).

My builder told me that these units are usually reliable and a certain part-I cannot remember what he called it -has been known to fail on occasion, but is is a known weakness of a certain part and not due to a maintenance practice. Most units never have this failure.

I drain, drop the pan, and change the filter. Then I use about 12 or 13 quarts total to completely flush the rest of the old fluid out (via a cooler line) and refill. It would be a whole lot easier to do if BMW had designed it with a dipstick tube to pour the fluid down into, but you must pump in every blessed drop to do the job.

Originally Posted By: Da Game
Well a month ago I purchased a 98 BMW 740iL with 111,560 miles on her. Now I'm looking for what you guy's consider the "BEST" tranny oil for this car. No I won't be doing rally racing! The Bmw shop says it's due and they use their own BMW approved oil. So I turning to the forum for help and input. I'm also going to use Pentosin brake fluid for the 2 year drain. How many quarts does the tranny take to fill?

I have a ZF 6hp19 in my 335I. I used petosin ATF1. It is relabeled as lifeguard5 by ZF, and is what is in the 5hp transmisssion A local shop did the work for me, and drain/filled 7 liters. It has a 9 liter capacity. other transmission oils that work great for the Zf 5/6hp transmission are:
1. D4 redline atf
2. castrol multivehicle atf
3. Motorcraft mercon sp
4. Royal purple atf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back