AC Delco Ecore filter Cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a Ac Delco I cut open. Probably only 500 miles on it.

main...._serialNumber=1

main...._serialNumber=2

Last edited:
I think the ecores are a better filter than Fram extraguard, and better construction. The problem is the ecore center tube requires the media to have a lot of pleats to be fully supported. AcDelco ecore is in the same price range or more than a Purolator Classic and I can't say that it's better than a Purolator. I like the AcDelco Classic slightly better than a Purolator Classic.

It should. It's the same application (PF-13 is the equivalent in ACDelco's lineup), and manufactured by the same company (Champ Labs). The only difference is likely the paint color on the can. I used to use PF-13s for our '03 Grand Caravan a long time ago.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
I can't say that it's better than a Purolator.

You got that right,a P1 has a real center tube with no chance of media fold failure.

Originally Posted By: OilNerd
It looks identical in size, construction, and condition to an ST16 I pulled off of my Caravan at 1,500 miles.

From what I have seen, some of the AC Delco Ecores have thicker media than their SuperTech counterparts (just my comparison of PF46E vs ST3506). Maybe some are identical except for the paint, who knows. I would expect all AC Delco ecores to be held to higher quality control standards than SuperTechs, but of course there is no way to know that for sure.

Originally Posted By: daman
Thats why i don't use AC Delco anymore.

Some of the AC Delcos are still offered in non-Ecore designs, but they're not always easy to find.

Personally, if given the choice between SuperTech, Fram, and AC Delco (Ecore), I'd pick the AC Delco every time (but that is a choice I hope I'll never have to make).

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
E-core are great, but why only 500 miles?

Bought the car from a dealer who had just done an oil change in it. However I wanted to switch to Pennzoil Ultra and a better filter.

Originally Posted By: ZZman

Bought the car from a dealer who had just done an oil change in it. However I wanted to switch to Pennzoil Ultra and a better filter.

Only a BITOG member would make that statement...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: ZZman

Only a BITOG member would make that statement...

Just like when I bought my Corvette, I know the dealer had just done an oil change, but when I got it home I immediately switched it over to GC 0w30 with a K&N oil filter. I did it for two reasons, one was because I really wanted to start running GC in this engine to see how the UOAs looked, and two was because I didn't think the Nissan/Infiniti dealer I bought the car from would have put in a synthetic oil meeting GM4718M. I'm sure they just used whatever bulk oil they had in their service bay.

All the e-core hate
54.gif

Any filter will fail.. I think with all the hype now everyone is cutting open their e-cores. I probably run mine (AC/Delco PF46E) longer than most (7,500-9,000mi) so I will dissect mine for the cause next OCI.

In my personal experience, the only filter I've cut that had failed was a Purolator-made Motorcraft. Failed at the media's glued seam. It was an oversize for the application as well (FL400S on a 1.9L SOHC Saturn..probably not pushed very hard).

I really think we need to see more cut up filters or a least descriptions. Don't expect much for me for a while. I intend to leave the M1 and Pronto in my truck for a while longer. The Chinese cartridge and Pennzoil YB in my car may go to June.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
And?

i literally laughed out loud at that. what do you mean "and"??

hes posting pics of a cut open filter, in the oil filter section. people do that ALL the time. its a pretty common occurrence on this website.....

filter looks great, obviously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back