Mann Oil Filter for BMW

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to buy some BMW oil filters and looking at a parts site, they offer several different makers. The Mann filters are less money, by a couple of dollars. The end caps aren't metal but a plastic?, or cardboard, like Fram's, but seems to be clear.

Anyone have experience with this new filter?

Mann makes the BMW oem filters, last I checked. Non-metallic is all you will find for these cars, at least any modern cars, and they hold up fine.

If you are talking about cartridge oil filter, Mann is one of the BMW OEM filter and they are very good. Mann is also OEM filter for Mercedes too.

Originally Posted By: pastmaster
The end caps aren't metal but a plastic?, or cardboard, like Fram's, but seems to be clear.

Anyone have experience with this new filter?

Are you talking about cartridge inserts? None of them have metal end caps - they're either paper or plastic.

Nothing wrong with Mann. I've been using their filters for years. They're not really new. :)

I've used Mann filters, oil/air, for years, but they have had metal end caps, never seen the clear plastic one's before. This filter is the OEM cartridge type, for the M30 engine, for my 1979 BMW 733i. I have owned the car for over 30 years.

I'm glad to see someone who has used them. I'll buy several then. Vedersehen :D

This filter is the OEM cartridge type, for the M30 engine, for my 1979 BMW 733i.

Yeah, the lack of metal ends shouldn't be a problem...

A600230925MAN.JPG

My M54 engine uses these:
P1010764.jpg

Never had any issues with them.

Last edited:
Thank You Quattro Pete.

Seeing a close up picture of the filter makes it easier to make the decision to buy them. I guess this the new technology.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
This filter is the OEM cartridge type, for the M30 engine, for my 1979 BMW 733i.

Yeah, the lack of metal ends shouldn't be a problem...

A600230925MAN.JPG

That's a better "non-metal end cap design" than gluing cardboard to the end of the pleats. The material in this design is integrated and bonded deeply into the ends of the pleats and give the ends more rigidity than flimsy cardboard or "engineered media" if you like that term better.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
No endcap HAMP

It just relies on some pleat bonding.
img2800a5tp.jpg

That looks like a Toyota filter (Denso, Thailand made). I didn't like it much after dissecting a few off my Tacoma for a close look, and have now switched to PureONE instead. Also, the Toyota filter didn't nearly as well as I thought in river_rat's filtering tests.

Yes, each pleat end is bonded together. Might be OK, might not be OK. Could vary from filter to filter in manufacturing.

I like the design of the MANN cartridge filter better than the Toyota filter desing because the MANN design has the sealing material cover the entire end area of the pleats and is even flowed down between each pleat to give the end rigidity. Probably as close to a metal end cap design you will see without actually using metal and potting the pleats.

A600230925MAN.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back