my car slipped of the jack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't beat yourself up over this.The only thing that matters is your okay.I hate crawling under cars period.It usually takes me about 20 minutes or longer to get the jack stands exactly where I want them.

Sorry things went bad. It happens, which is the first lesson: Safety First! Always!

I used to use ramps for oil changes with my cars so I didn't have to jack them up. Only issue was I ran off the end of the ramps once in the cavalier. Scared the [censored] out of me! No damage done (other than my pride).

I use some wood blocks for various tasks, and they get a substantial check every time to make sure they are still serviceable. They get used for things like motor mount changes, tranny mount changes, etc...

My Dad used to have a set of ramps at his Dad's place.

There was a big drop off the side of their access lane onto their property, so they installed a couple of vertical railways sleepers at the base, and a couple of horizontal sleepers from the access road onto the top of those two pillars.

As a child, it used to scare me witless watching Dad and his brothers drive the car onto this, sans being able to see where they were going, and without end stops.

My latest oil change was $700. The housing oil filter housing was always an issue with the car ( previous owner had cross threaded it I believe) but the filter always went on and held., This time I started the engine and no pressure and started to clack so shut it down and found a gallon of oil under the car. Tried a new filter and same issue, another gallon. ( $80 of synthetic oil and two filters later) had it towed, local garage decided they did not want to touch it after watching it pump out a few quarts while on the lift, than towed to dealer, replaced housing and filter nipple, drove home, still leaking, towed back to dealer (their expense this time) and now seems fine. Expensive oil change but it would have happened eventually whether I did it myself or had it done

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: defektes
I had some "Allied Hydraulic" made in china stands crumble before my eyes while doing brake work on a old 84 toyota I had. It was a 5 ton jack stand pair.

Yeah, if the jackstands in question use cotter pins to hold them extended, RUN AWAY. I don't care if it says 20 tons on them.

That's interesting. I've used a pair of stands for years of this type.

i feel your pain. I had my van fall of the jack while i was putting the snow tires on and luckily no damage but my pride. Glad to hear no one got hurt.

Glad no one got hurt and everythings ok. I put my car on jack stands once because my truck was on the ramps, and it freaked me out the whole time. Every time i got out from underneath the car i was checking the stability and making sure the stands didnt move at all. I love using ramps, its all i use. I feel much safer using them.

Originally Posted By: ET16
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: defektes
I had some "Allied Hydraulic" made in china stands crumble before my eyes while doing brake work on a old 84 toyota I had. It was a 5 ton jack stand pair.

Yeah, if the jackstands in question use cotter pins to hold them extended, RUN AWAY. I don't care if it says 20 tons on them.

That's interesting. I've used a pair of stands for years of this type.

I need to see a picture, but I think the pin just holds the weight of the jam device while it's getting adjusted.

I use jackstands all the time for changing oil and other stuff. On the Ranger, I stick the floor jack right in the middle under the engine crossmember and jack it up. The lower control arms have these tabs that are meant to fall into the saddle on the jackstands.

On the Explorer, I jack it up one side at a time and put the jackstands under the suspension beams (twin traction beam)

On the Accord, I drive the car up on two small homemade wooden ramps, because the car is too low for the jack to slide under. The ramps aren't tall enough to do an oil change on. So, I slide the jack under the beam underneath the engine, jack it up, and put jackstands under the body seams behind the front wheels.

I always do the "shake test" before crawling underneath the vehicle. It always feels very secure and I'm not afraid at all of staying underneath them.

I have never understood jacking for oil changes. Rhino Ramps are a good investment. By the time you jack your car up, place jack stands under, I'll have the new filter on.

Exactly what I do with the Hondas.
I only need a couple of inches, so a piece of lumber works great.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
I have never understood jacking for oil changes. Rhino Ramps are a good investment. By the time you jack your car up, place jack stands under, I'll have the new filter on.

The first and last time I used ramps was when the ramp slipped and situated itself behind the front wheel (middle of the car).The ramp was metal.

I do not use any ramps or jacks to raise the car for oil changes.I just lay on the ground under the car and change the oil. Its having a Toyota engine helps.

I always use jackstands rated for way over what the vehicle weighs. I use 5ton stands for my mustang and the wifes accord. I never use a wood block between the stand and the body, it just creates a spot of instability IMO. Also, I almost never just put the front end in the air. I put all 4 corners on stands because I like to check everything out while I let the oil drain.

What is your procedure to put all 4 corners up? do you lift the front then the back, or go 1 corner at a time? Also, when lifting up a part of the vehicle when the other parts on jack stands, does the shifting weight of the car as it comes up cause instability on the other stands?

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm

The first and last time I used ramps was when the ramp slipped and situated itself behind the front wheel (middle of the car).The ramp was metal.

I did that once with my first car: dad's old metal ramps + my manual transmission 4-banger. You had to give it enough gas to make it up, but be prepared to stop immediately. I didn't. I then had to jack. The Rhino ramps are excellent. I've never had issues.

My father-in-law made me some ramps I used for over 20 years with no problems. They were cut from a railroad cross tie and had a stop at the end and were heavy enough that they didn't move.

Originally Posted By: __M__
This is a long one...

I feel like a complete idiot... I'm jacking up the front of my malibu to do an oil change. I have jack stands, but no ramps, so I jack it up for oil changing. I've done this many times before. The malibu as a subframe across the front of the car that I use to jack up the entire front end. I chocked the back wheels, so the car isn't rolling anywhere. Now... here are the contributing factors to my disaster:

1) The subframe is not square to the ground, but is inclined slightly so that the edge towards the front of the car is a bit higher than the edge facing the rear of the car.

2) In what is later shown to be a bone headed move, I place a small wood block on the floor jack so that it won't scratch/make small dents in the subframe component. When did I get so concerned with the aesthetics of the subframe?

Now, I begin my jacking... the car is going up, then I hear cracking...I ask myself "what is that cracking?" I stop jacking, hear silence. I ponder for a few seconds, I eye the car suspiciously. The car eyes me back mockingly, then i hear the final CRACK, and WHAM!, the car falls down.
frown.gif

The jack is still extended, it has slipped forward off the subframe and gone up into the engine compartment. It is pinned between the subframe on one side, and some plastic trim and the radiator on the other side. Luckily, no fluid is pouring out. I jump up and look in the hood to see the top of the jack staring back at me. It went in the only place in the entire engine compartment where there was nothing major to destroy! except for the radiator fan housing, which is completely shattered, but thats just plastic.

after using he emergency jack to get the car back up a little, I am able to get the floor jack out (it was really wedged in there). In the end the damage list was 1 bent radiator that needs to be replaced (the car is definitely running hotter now. When idling, the temp gauge just climbs until the one remaining radiator fan kicks on and the gauge stops climbing, but doesn't come back down), and a spectacularly destroyed radiator fan housing. I took it to a mechanic in shame, but I WILL change that oil myself!

The cracking I heard was the small wood block. It cracked into 2 pieces, and that must have caused it, and the jack, to slide off the subframe. The angle of the subframe and the angle caused by lifting the car a bit was just to much. From now on, I will just scratch the subframe and not place anything between it and the jack. I think I will also place one of the raised "teeth" on the floor jack just behind the subframe when I lift the car so that it will catch if this starts to happen again.

So, this is the most expensive oil change I have ever performed. And, I still haven't changed the oil
33.gif

Any advice, comments, or similar stories? Any insight into the proper jack placement on a subframe? This definitely reminded me to always be extra careful when working around a raised car.

Almost identical to my story. In my case, I was lowering the car and had used a wood block to extend the height of the jack so that I could remove the jack stands easier. While lowering the car, the wood block started to shift. Sensing an impending doom, I started lowering the car faster which caused the wood block to fly away and the car land on the jack. The result was a new radiator and a few hours of lost time.

Fortunately, with the German car now I don't need to raise the car. The filter is on top of the engine and I use a suction pump to remove the old oil.

Originally Posted By: Geo_Prizm
Originally Posted By: kkreit01

I do not use any ramps or jacks to raise the car for oil changes.I just lay on the ground under the car and change the oil. Its having a Toyota engine helps.

I used to use ramps and after a few times driving over the ramps (when driving onto them slow they would just fly away so it was a race between me and the ramps with the trick being the ability to brake as soon as on top of the ramps). I started using jack stands which resulted in a situation like the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back