75w90 Redline vs. Amsoil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just bought a new 2010 Camry, with a stick, and I want to swap out the gear oil in the trans because it feels a little notchy. I am going to go over to a syn gear oil, but wasn't sure as to which was better. I'm looking at Redline, or Amsoil. Which has provided you guys with better shift quality ?
Have any of you used both ? What are your experiences with both ?
This has the new 2.5L 2AR-FE 4 Cyl, and the 6 Speed manual gearbox. (I'm not sure on the designation, because I haven't checked the tag yet, but will post it soon) It now has just over 500 miles on it.

Thanks,
Justin

Both are quality lubes, but my vote is for Amsoil. Not only did it improve the shift quality of an old truck I had years ago, but I have seen numerous posts about it doing the same for others.

On that new rig, I'm not exactly sure which transmission oil to recommend, so you better wait til Gary or Pablo chime in.

EDIT-

This is what the Amsoil lookup guide recommends..

http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?code=MTGQT-EA

Originally Posted By: Johnny
With just over 500 miles, why don't you give it a chance to break in before you try something different.
Thats what I would do to, let the tranny break in then change it it, that way you will also get rid of small bits of break in material as well.

It's entirely likely it has a synthetic in it. Be sure you get the correct viscosity. MT90 is 15.6 cP @ 100C.; MTL is 10.6. Amsoil has one GL4 trans oil that is like MT90 and one that's even lighter than MTL, about 9cP.
I'm pleasantly shocked that you can order a manual 6 spd in a Camry. I'd given up on Toyota since they refused to import diesel Landcruisers into the US.

Charlie

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: unDummy
What is the gearbox filled with?

It's a new car, so it still has the FF in it.

Not sure about break in. Does a manual tranny need to break in before putting in a better fluid? On the used truck I bought I could not believe how much metal debris was in the rear differential at 13k when I changed it, hopefully the machining/cleaning process of a manual tranny is better than that.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
With just over 500 miles, why don't you give it a chance to break in before you try something different.

I'd agree with Johnny here for a few reasons.
thumbsup2.gif

1. If there is something wrong with the transmission and you start "fixing" it with a fluid change which does not "fix" it Toyota may delay their actions by first flushing out your Amsoil/RL and putting in their fluid, making you go more miles and such. When the vehicle is in warranty and you have issues, let TOYOTA FIX their problem (since its their power train till 60k miles / 5 years old (unless they have changed that).

2. I'd want more time to break in the transmission and then put in the good stuff. I went approx 20k on my Toyota factory fill (which was doing great but I wanted the break-in metals out) and then went with a garbage oil for the next 40k. Once that fluid totally failed in performance I then went to Amsoil and their excellent gear oil and its still performing 110k miles later like the day I put it in.

Give it some time. I'd go with the Amsoil (please let once of the site sponsors help you) as its a excellent product.

Also keep us informed on how the rig is doing. I'm thinking of possibly getting a new vehicle and a 2.5l manual trans Camry is on the short list.

A little rare here. Most people want autos.

Enjoy the new ride, Bill

PS: Update the sig with the new ride!

Notchy is normal.

Be careful with Redline MT90 and Amsoil MTG. These are 90 weights. Toyota has been slowly moving over to MTF-LV. If you require MTF-LV, you might be better off with Redline MTL, Amsoil MTF, BG SyncroShift, or RoyalPurple Synchromax.

If you UOA this 500 mile gear oil, you'll get an idea of what it was factory filled with.

Drive it for a few thousand miles or more - then change your fluid.
Trannys take a long while to break in.
It may be 20,000 miles or more before it is at it's best.

Both Redline and Amsoil are superb manual trans/trasaxle fluids.
I give the edge to Amsoil.

Yes, 500 miles is too soon to change it. I would change a new manual transmission's fluid at 10-20k miles. Holding off until the warranty expires is too long, unless it's being changed by the dealer and they refuse to install synthetic (they shouldn't).

I used Red Line MT-90 in a 97 Camry V-6 manual for over 100k miles, which extremely worked well in OKC. But you need to use the right viscosity according to your owner's manual and you live North in NH. Thinner fluid like MTL or MT-90/MTL mix might be closer to spec. unDummy knows what he is talking about. Amsoil is supposed to be a good fluid, but I haven't used it.

Never use a 75W-90 gear oil that is not designed for manual transmissions, since you don't get the proper friction modifiers needed for smooth shifting. Every shift will catch or grind.

With a good synthetic, you can run intervals as low as 20k, if you occasionally grind the gears and shave off metal particles, to as high as 50-60k if you're more coordinated. The Red Line esters might do better at cleaning and isolating metal particles.

Justin, I missed your comment about it being "notchy." The Toyota manual transmissions do shift very tightly for a year or two, so there's nothing wrong with it. It is a reflection of the strong, high-quality build. Don't worry, it will loosen up.

I'm gonna wait a little while I think. $$ is a little tight at the moment. Maybe I'll do it @ 10k. I already have over 700 miles on it. We took delivery last wednesday night, and I can't believe how we are racking up miles. As far as warranty concerns, this won't be a problem, as my dad is a MDT at the local Toyota dealer, and is the only person who will be touching this car other than me. If something needs to be warrantied, he'll get it done for me.

Bill- We are LOVING every minute with this new Camry. Though it is my wife's car, I drive it whenever we go out anywhere. My dad says that these new 2.5's have been bullet proof. Good on fuel too. My first tank I got 25 MPG. (Mostly city, with some highway.) It's got a lot of power. (169 HP, and 167 lb/ft Torque)
I think it's as quick as my old '93 V6 5 Speed Camry SE.
That car was 185/HP and 189 Lb/Ft of torque.
I'm gonna be running Synpower 0w20 in it for the first 2 years,
As Toyota threw in 2 years free maintenance because I was already a Toyota owner. (Synpower is there shop 0w20.) It's a win/win for me, because I get free oil changes, and my dad gets paid to do them for me.

Also thanks for the tip on the sig. I was gonna do it, and I guess I must have forgotten. I will change it now.

mechtech is quite a bit more knowledgeable than me, so switching to synthetic at 20-30k might be better. If you're worried, you could always do an intermediate change with Toyota fluid at 10k. Your Dad should be a great source of information.

Thanks for the tip Bruce. I've had a few Manual trans cars, but never a new one. They have always had over 100k.
I am very coordinated, and never grind gears. I've always changed my gear lube when I've bought cars, then @ 30k intervals or less, as I've always gotten it for free from the dealer.
I'm not concerned that there is anything wrong, I was just trying to improve shift feel. I'm gonna let it wear in a while then change it.

Originally Posted By: JustinC25
So I just bought a new 2010 Camry, with a stick, and I want to swap out the gear oil in the trans because it feels a little notchy.
A six speed MANual transmission in a new Camry?! Wow, I had no idea such a thing existed. Good on Toyota and good on you for rowing your own!

In my opinion, the best manual transmission lubricants out there are VW OEM fluids, G060 or G070. The former is slightly more viscous than the latter. I do not know what their actual viscosities are, but they are thinner than a 75w90 gear oil and closer to that of an ATF. I have G060 in my NB, which replaced the MTL/MT-90 mix and G070 in my Golf, which replaced the straight MTL.

IMO either the Red Line MTL or Amsoil MTG would be a good choice, but there may be 'better' ones out there.

Is there a procedure for realigning the shifter linkage on your Camry? I always recommend VW owners do so as it can make a huge difference in shift quality as well.

My top 10 vote

1. Ford Motorcraft XT-M5-QS
2. "" ""
3. "" ""
4. "" ""
5. "" ""
6. "" ""
7. "" ""
8. "" ""
9. Redline
10. Amsoil

Yes, it is that good, imo. Other suggestions would be Billet Aluminum shifter bushings and possible an aftermarket motor and transmission mounts. Not saying you need to do those, but just adding to what can be done.

p.s. Yes, please wait for awhile before changing. This way you expunge the break in materials.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back