Formula 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering does anyone know what Formula 1 cars run for oil? Is it the same stuff we run off the shelf? and what weight oil do ya think they run?

F1 has not used turbo engines in YEARS. Maybe even decades.

Last edited:
Looks like 1989 was the years that turbos were banned. So, 21 years ago. I remember watching a F1 race a couple years ago and one of the announcers on Speed mentioned that the oil was "almost at thin as water". I figured they may be using a 20w oil.

Formula 1 cars use boutique oils that custom blended even in mobile labs at the track for the conditions and engine tweeks. Pretty amazing technology and very thin weights.

Mobil 1 for McLaren-Mercedes and formerly Panasonic Toyota (Esso)
Petronas Malaysia for Mercedes-Benz
Shell for Ferrari
Total/Elf for Renault and Red Bull
Petrobras Brazil for Williams
Castrol/BP used to supply BMW who is now out

Being that they all run 2.4L NA V8's is ridiculous! I imagine they are all "custom blends" as stated previously...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1430653#Post1430653

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/...amp;newsLang=en

Quote:
“The process of fuel and lubricant development begins in our Paulsboro research facility with the use of complex mathematical modelling to simulate many different compositions and predict their benefits. This allows us to concentrate our efforts and resources on a few leading formulations that are then developed further. The lead candidate was subjected to over 20,000 km of dyno-testing and over 10,000 km on the track in pre-season testing, before the optimum solution for the challenges of the 2010 season was selected.”

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
What is below zero weight anyways?

That's why the rating system is flawed.

There's plenty of room at either end, and gear oil/engine oils of the same viscosity are 40 apart on the ratings scale.

we need reform in the oil rating sector.

Originally Posted By: ffracer
Formula 1 cars use boutique oils that custom blended even in mobile labs at the track for the conditions and engine tweeks. Pretty amazing technology and very thin weights.

Mobil 1 for McLaren-Mercedes and formerly Panasonic Toyota (Esso)
Petronas Malaysia for Mercedes-Benz
Shell for Ferrari
Total/Elf for Renault and Red Bull
Petrobras Brazil for Williams
Castrol/BP used to supply BMW who is now out

I think this might be the first time in BITOG history that Mobil and mobile were used correctly in the same post! Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back