01 BMW 540I oil options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
I purchased the car in January 09. I'm currently on my second oil change running Lubro Moly Synthoil 5w-4O, although this is a good oil, I'd like to run a group IV synthetic.
I'm thinking of running GC 0w-30, or the expensive Motul x-max 5w-40. What other options would there be to choose?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: tomski
Hi.
I purchased the car in January 09. I'm currently on my second oil change running Lubro Moly Synthoil 5w-4O, although this is a good oil, I'd like to run a group IV synthetic.

Lubro Moly makes great stuff. Nothing wrong with it.

The main difference between a group IV oil and a good, modern group III oil is that the group IV oil will probably be more expensive. Unless your car has a full race prep and sees endurance race time that you're not telling us about, I wouldn't worry about trying to find a group IV oil.

Besides, more and more oils are group III these days anyway. There are group III base stocks that are better than PAO in many ways while being easier to formulate with. It just makes sense, IMO.

Originally Posted By: tomski
I'm thinking of running GC 0w-30, or the expensive Motul x-max 5w-40. What other options would there be to choose?

X-Max 5w-40 is supposedly potent stuff. But really, so are most LL-01 oils.

Mobil 1 0w-40, GC, and BMW's 5w-30 syn are probably near the sweet spot between capability, price, and availability. It's up to you whether you want the best-of-the-best or need something that's easier to buy.

What kind of OCI are you looking to do, how do you drive it, where do you live, etc.?

M1 0W40 made my M52 noisy for sure.

GC, Rotella T6, Esso XD3 0W40, Redline 0W40, M1 0W40 are all good options for your 540.

What are you planning for an OCI? That will determine if you need something up to "extended intervals" or whether you're simply trying to meet viscosity and HTHS needs.

I wouldn't obsess specifically on the group III, IV or V aspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back