Why does the the Ford 7.3 PSD take 15 qts of oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad has owned his '02 Ford Super Duty with the 7.3 Diesel since new. He always does his own oil changes and every time i wonder why does this engine take 15 quarts of oil? I asked my dad and he also wonders the same thing. Is it because its a diesel? Maybe because its turboed? Whats the reason for such a large sump of oil? All i know is it will be expensive as [censored] to put synthetic in it lol

IT's a diesel. It runs a lager sump because it works the oil harder than a gasoline engine.

Especially the HEUI motors like your 7.3L that uses the engine oil under very high pressures (up to 2,300+ PSI) to fire the fuel injectors. This puts a lot of stress on the additive package of a HDEO especially the anti foam property's.

Also if you use the PSD like it was built to be used, Heavy towing and WORK, that puts a lot of stress on the oil. Turbo charging and soot loading are other issues that lend themselves to having a larger sump capacity.

With a good HDEO you can expect a very long life out of your PSD. I have a Pair of them both over 350,000 miles.

Yup, a HEUI Diesel. 15 quarts is not actually all the oil, either. IIRC, there is another couple quarts in the high pressure oil system you cant really drain.

complete capacity of a dry 7.3 is 16qts. After a drain 15 gets it done. The HPOP res doesnt hold that much really.

The HPOS is one of the main reasons of the capacity.

Hm, I thought it was more. Does it have some sort at anti drain back or is it pumped in in a way that it wouldnt need one? I ask because some seem to take longer for the romp to settle down after a sump and filter change. Or am I off base and that romp is something else completely?

When you do an oil change on a 7.3 it does not drain the HPOP resy completely. Approx 1/2qt remaining. The reason for the rumps after your change is because the ICP is not getting an accurate read. A High pressure crossover line could help this problem and smooth out your all around idle quality.

A HPX line bridges the 2 high pressure oil rails together located in the heads and evens out the pressure and takes pressure spike away. It helps greatly in cold weather in ridding the cold rumps

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back