my car slipped of the jack!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a long one...

I feel like a complete idiot... I'm jacking up the front of my malibu to do an oil change. I have jack stands, but no ramps, so I jack it up for oil changing. I've done this many times before. The malibu as a subframe across the front of the car that I use to jack up the entire front end. I chocked the back wheels, so the car isn't rolling anywhere. Now... here are the contributing factors to my disaster:

1) The subframe is not square to the ground, but is inclined slightly so that the edge towards the front of the car is a bit higher than the edge facing the rear of the car.

2) In what is later shown to be a bone headed move, I place a small wood block on the floor jack so that it won't scratch/make small dents in the subframe component. When did I get so concerned with the aesthetics of the subframe?

Now, I begin my jacking... the car is going up, then I hear cracking...I ask myself "what is that cracking?" I stop jacking, hear silence. I ponder for a few seconds, I eye the car suspiciously. The car eyes me back mockingly, then i hear the final CRACK, and WHAM!, the car falls down.
frown.gif

The jack is still extended, it has slipped forward off the subframe and gone up into the engine compartment. It is pinned between the subframe on one side, and some plastic trim and the radiator on the other side. Luckily, no fluid is pouring out. I jump up and look in the hood to see the top of the jack staring back at me. It went in the only place in the entire engine compartment where there was nothing major to destroy! except for the radiator fan housing, which is completely shattered, but thats just plastic.

after using he emergency jack to get the car back up a little, I am able to get the floor jack out (it was really wedged in there). In the end the damage list was 1 bent radiator that needs to be replaced (the car is definitely running hotter now. When idling, the temp gauge just climbs until the one remaining radiator fan kicks on and the gauge stops climbing, but doesn't come back down), and a spectacularly destroyed radiator fan housing. I took it to a mechanic in shame, but I WILL change that oil myself!

The cracking I heard was the small wood block. It cracked into 2 pieces, and that must have caused it, and the jack, to slide off the subframe. The angle of the subframe and the angle caused by lifting the car a bit was just to much. From now on, I will just scratch the subframe and not place anything between it and the jack. I think I will also place one of the raised "teeth" on the floor jack just behind the subframe when I lift the car so that it will catch if this starts to happen again.

So, this is the most expensive oil change I have ever performed. And, I still haven't changed the oil
33.gif

Any advice, comments, or similar stories? Any insight into the proper jack placement on a subframe? This definitely reminded me to always be extra careful when working around a raised car.

Originally Posted By: __M__
Any insight into the proper jack placement on a subframe?

Sorry for your experience. Always only on flat ground, use car ramps or jack stands only. Car ramps make it a breeze.

A note on level ground- Have seen cars slide when they are jacked up on uneven ground. When on an incline, the tires hold the car from moving "downslope" on the ground. As soon as one tire is off the ground the car is free to shift downslope and "boom" there it goes. Blocks on the wheels don't help with this because the car can still "slide" on the jack pivot point.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Glad you're OK.

Get yourself some Rhino Ramps and be done with it. The only time I put the car on jackstands in to do wheel/brake work.

+1

Ramps for oil changes and stands for brakes..

However, I did have a buddy run off the end of his ramps, so don't feel too bad, just glad that you are OK! :)

Thanks for the comment. This was on level ground, i performed this quality work in my garage.

As a fellow 05 Bu owner, I feel your pain.
frown.gif

All jacking I've done is at the pinch welds on the side (the jacking points listed in the manual). Sure they're bent and ugly, but that is what they are there for.

It's good you weren't hurt. Chalk it up to an expensive lesson.

I just bought ramps which I will use next oil change, but previously just shimmied under the front of the car.

Glad you're OK.

Get yourself some Rhino Ramps and be done with it. The only time I put the car on jackstands in to do wheel/brake work.

Exactly!

Rhino ramps run about $30-40 new; I found mine on craigslist for $20. I see ads for metal ones also. It helps to have a second person eyeball the car as you go up the ramp but you only need their help for a minute. I put jack stands under the car after it is on the ramps. Better safe than sorry as they say.

I had some "Allied Hydraulic" made in china stands crumble before my eyes while doing brake work on a old 84 toyota I had. It was a 5 ton jack stand pair.

Either there is a consensus forming here, or a lot of people that read this site work for the company that makes rhino ramps. I think I'll go pick up a pair. Anyone know of any other people with similar experiences, or am I the only person using a floor jack for an oil change?

Originally Posted By: Shagger

Glad you're OK.

+1

Ramps for oil changes and stands for brakes..

However, I did have a buddy run off the end of his ramps, so don't feel too bad, just glad that you are OK! :)

I ran my Tracker off the ramps too, I do use my ramps on a hill so the vehicle is level when on the ramps but mostly it was just brainfade... The pinch welds on the body just touched the ramps when the front end fell but they are high enough normally to just pull the ramps out and try again...

Originally Posted By: __M__
Either there is a consensus forming here, or a lot of people that read this site work for the company that makes rhino ramps. I think I'll go pick up a pair. Anyone know of any other people with similar experiences, or am I the only person using a floor jack for an oil change?

I don't have to jack any of my cars for a oil change anymore after the death of my corolla. When i had the corolla I jacked it, but a stand one side and did the change easy.

You shouldn't go under a vehicle with a floor jack (to do an oil change). Unless you put jack stands under after it's lifted.

Other than that, it takes 30 seconds to use a ramp and there's no risk of bending the frame of the car. The Rhino Ramps are lightweight, plastic, they don't slip on most driveways and are nearly impossible to run over the end of (big lip at the end).

Glad to hear nothing major happened.

I use a block of wood on the jack myself but it's a relatively small piece of oak and I place it in such a way that if the wood breaks (I've had lesser pieces break) it doesn't lower the car more than the 3/4" thickness of the board.

If you want to not scratch up the frame of the car (I consider it a valid concern... one more place for rust to start) I'd suggest getting a rubber mat for the floor jack.

I made some mustang ramps out of wood,they work great and they are steped for added safety.Just google mustang ramps.

The rubber mat sounds like a good idea. I think it will be a while before I work up the nerve to use the jack again.

I don't ever get under the car until jack stands are in place and a couple of wood blocks are under the frame as a backup. This happened before placement of the jack stands was possible.

I say go with the rino ramps. I have had them for about a year and use them on two cars for oil changes. I don't have anyone helping me. I just put each ramp in front of each wheel. Make sure it's 99.9% straight. Hold the steering wheel straight and stick my head out the window to make sure I'm going on the ramp good.

Originally Posted By: defektes
I had some "Allied Hydraulic" made in china stands crumble before my eyes while doing brake work on a old 84 toyota I had. It was a 5 ton jack stand pair.

Yeah, if the jackstands in question use cotter pins to hold them extended, RUN AWAY. I don't care if it says 20 tons on them.

I use a jack and jackstands when I do my oil changes, only because i'm more scared of driving off my rhino ramps ('89 accord is so low to the ground they'd probably do some damage getting jammed up against the fender or rocker panels).

My inlaws use a jack; FIL used to work in a garage in college so there's no talking them out of it.

There's usually a giant bolt on the firewall side of subframes; I like to jack there because it leaves the pinch weld free for the stands, and the bolt head fits nicely in the saddle of my jack.

But dude, let alone all that stuff... hydraulic (and manual) jacks themselves fail, sometimes REAAAALY slow leaks, sometimes 9.8 meters/sec squared.

I like ramps just because the "ding" factor is negated; if I went to a shop their lift pads would ding some part of my floorpan or whatever, possibly damaging the undercoating and causing rust.

I have a spot I can place the car that leaves the front end off the ground.

Anther way to go is to drive up on some 2x10s or pavers. No more than a few inches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back