Difference between green Stabil and red Stabil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using green Stabil for many years. Last year, my green stash was over and bought the red Stabil. This year, I could not get my lawn mower started without spraying carb cleaner in the throat. Also it was immediately dieing as soon as choke was removed. The choke plate works correctly.

For last 8 or 9 years with green Stabil, I could start the lawnmower on no more than 3rd pull at the beginning of the season.

Later I fed strong dosage of Berryman B-12 through the gas and also sprayed the carb with Seafoam Deep Creep. I checked the plug and it was in good condition. I changed the oil. Later, I had no problem starting the mower but the engine was still hot. At least I was able to verify the operation at slow and fast speed along with engaging the blade clutch.

Question:- Has anybody else noticed problems with red Stabil? The green stabil bottle I had went through 8 seasons without any problem :-(

- Vikas

Probably there was water in the carb. have you tried to drain the float bowl? I never use Stabil and never had problems with gas 2 years oil.

I have no problems with Stabil. The marine flavor is better IMHO if you have ethanol gasoline.

I had stabil in several carbureted cars for years without an issue.

Kind of on the same topic, I have an old bottle of Stabil. Did they ever make a black Stabil..... with small chunks at the bottom of the container?

I've always used red Stabil (never seen green) and my stuff always works. The only exception is my push mower which for the last 8 years only gets used 1-3 times per season. For anything that gets used regularly during summer months always starts well in the spring.

Last time I was at WM I saw the green bottle; it's an "ethanol treatment" it said on the bottle......don't understand it. Why would you/we want more ethanol in our gas? Especially lawn mowers.....unless it's supposed to "negate" the ethanol content in "ethanol gasoline".....?

Actually, I just looked it up :)
http://www.goldeagle.com/brands/stabil/faq.aspx#15

Apparently the latter statement was right, the green bottle is designed for "marine use" and helps beat ethanol related problems (for engines that don't like ethanol.....).

Now, I'm curious, why not just use the "marine treatment" for "regular" use as well? :)

Since it does have the lubricating effect to fix ethanol related problems....?

But eh, I'm not too sure, I've always used 1 oz. of seafoam per gallon in my gas cans and never had any problems :)

Granted, I've had people tell me I wouldn't have any problems if I did not use the Seafoam...but eh, whatever
wink.gif
10 oz. goes in my gas can, the rest goes in my car
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back