Oil choice for a supercharged engine??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so I read the post about which is the correct way to ask one of these questions, so here it goes:

I have a 1998 Pontiac grand prix. The car came with a 3.8l V6 supercharged engine out of the factory. The manual says I should run 10w30 .

I have upgraded and modified the engine heavily with a new cam amongst other things. The car is NOT a daily driver, and is only taken out/started in the spring/summer/fall months. Annual mileage is around 3-5K. I do race the car in the 1/4 a few times a year. I am a spirited driver, and I usually get on it hard a couple times when I do have her out.

I have run Mobil 1 synthetic in the past and liked it, though i never had an oil analysis. I ran royal purple last year and I was not a fan.

I am looking at maybe running Amsoil SSO 0w-30 for my application.....any other suggestions?????

Pablo - why do you suggest those choices? What would be the suggested oil change interval with those oils?

daman - I did like the mobil 1, nothing really wrong with it. I just heard really good things about AMSoil and was looking to maybe try it out. Also I was looking for something more geared towards the car being a seasonal vehicle and racing it from time to time.

Originally Posted By: copgtp
Pablo - why do you suggest those choices? What would be the suggested oil change interval with those oils?

RD30 because the viscosity, the HP/racing engine additive levels, and proprietary friction modifier seem about perfect for your application.

ACD because the HD additive level, the SAE 30 (no viscosity index improvers), the high TBN for long season use, and the lower cost.

Both I would say change annually.

thanks for the advise guys. I'm still open to more suggestions!

Now, I've always used ACdelco filters, as I've always thought the OEM were the best. Does anyone have any other suggestions for filter elements in this application?

I'm not cammed but I have ran yellow bottle pennzoil, platinum, and now Ultra. They have worked fine for me. Currently using Purolator Pureone. I will be sticking with the Pureones for awhile.

I had a 98 Regal GS, basically same car, same engine, probably a slightly fluffier suspension. I drove it from new for a couple years, well before I found BITOG. I used both M1 and Syntec, both in the recommended 10w-30 flavor. Back then I didn't even know you could do UOA inexpensively (though I was well familiar with it for jets from my naval aviation days). Anyway, the engine ran beautifully on both concoctions. Knowing what I know today, I'd join casper in recommending that you try GC in yours.

The German Castrol 0w-30 or Mobil 1 0w-40 picked up on sale with a top notch filter is impossible to beat. You're getting every penny's worth out of either of them and then some.

The rest of us just run high end oil because it's a toy and getting it free or almost free after rebate is quite a high.

I don't know which of those 2 are better oils in your application but there's nothing on the shelf in the United States that can touch either of them.

so I have a few people advising on the GC oil.... now what are the key features of this oil that makes it stand out from it's american counter-part?

I'm also having a hard time finding any reviews on the rd30....is it fairly new or is it an oil that is not commonly used?

I'm also having a hard time finding any reviews on the rd30....is it fairly new or is it an oil that is not commonly used?

Both really. It's a bit new and only a few people HERE use it. I ran the RD20 version in a Honda with no issues, in fact did a slightly extended OCI and even the TBN held up fine. I think you find the scope here on BITOG limited on the oils people actually use and talk about.

so I have a few people advising on the GC oil.... now what are the key features of this oil that makes it stand out from it's american counter-part?

Based on my analysis on my own 3800. The best value is Pennzoil Platimum right now. M1 used to give me good results, then tried GC and have since switch to PP.

Originally Posted By: 97 GTP

Based on my analysis on my own 3800. The best value is Pennzoil Platimum right now. M1 used to give me good results, then tried GC and have since switch to PP.

x2, PP being the best value.

thanks for all the input guys/gals. I am between either GC or Amsoil RD30 . Decisions decisions!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back