Need FI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking, and before I get ready for work I want to share it with you. What are the biggest downfalls of OPE? Emissions. Fuel consumption. Efficiency. They still use Carbs for pete sake, and no cats. We can worry about cats later, but what they CAN do, is think up some kind of mechanical fuel injection for them. Seriously, it can't be that hard. No EFI, but a mechanical port injection system. Even on a side-valve engine, it would make a difference, and on OHV engines, well... All I'm saying is the guys at B&S, Kohler, and Honda HAVE the money to do this. For some reason, they aren't.

It would be more like DFI. It's probably due to the fact that the direct-injection technology is new and that the patents are expensive to license. Time will tell!

mechanical FI isn't really any better than a carb. It doesn't have a feedback loop like EFI so it's still dumping in a predetermined fuel schedule. I'd bet it is also more susceptible to stale/gummed gas.

Get a mini squirt and program an efi system up? It could run of MAP or a oxygen sensor. People do this to carbed motorcycles all the time, if you mow commercially, it would easily pay you back in fuel costs I think...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back