Silicone spray on rubber parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

I have subframe bushings that are fairly old and creak a bit. They just need a bit of lube to make them quiet after 19 years of use.

I have Amsoil silicone spray (ALS). My concern is that I understand that silicone sprays with petroleum in them can be bad for rubber parts.

www.amsoil.com/msds/als.pdf

The MSDS shows 5% silicone, and the balance all solvent and hydrocarbons. I'd imagine that a good portion of these things are actually propellant, not solvent for the silicone, but need I be worried about this content for lubing? Any suggestions for a good rubber lube that can be sprayed without concern?

Thanks!

At 19 years of use and exposure to ozone, road salt and oils, it is time to replace them with new bushings!

Or spray them with your silicone spray and if they fall apart it was time to replace them anyway!

However, I doubt it will hurt them.

Last edited:
I know PAM is a food grade spray oil lol. Seriously the OP aasks a good question and I don't know the answer other than the spray silicones say they are for rubber. I've used them on rubber bushing but I don't really know if they helped or hurt.

Mobil 1 is approved for machinery incidental to food (whatever they call that-- it can drip on the assembly line.) And mineral oil laxative is, well, oil.

You can get silicone shine from an, uh, adult bookstore
27.gif
that's supposed to be okay.

Spray away!
Count on re applications - no big deal.
All new bushings are a PITA, but you have to consider that job for the future.

I agree with MechTech. Silicone spray on my 97 Avalon struts silenced rattles that I could never find....

Interesting about the Pam....my Haynes manual mentions lubricating certain bushings with vegetable oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back