Why Not Use HDEO in Everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my question...

If the add pack in a good HDEO is so stout, is there a good reason not to use one in everything?

I've used HDEO's with superb results in my vintage cars for years. In cars that do lots of sitting, I'm convinced these oils help keep internal engine corrosion at bay. Been thinking lately why not use it in my "newer" stuff too? By newer I mean mid-90's Land Cruisers.

Newer stuff has catalytic converters. Supposedly all HEDO's have add packs that can potentially coat the interior of your cat if your car begins to burn oil.

How much does it take to kill a cat?
I have no idea, but that is the general idea.

I agree with your statement of robustness though. HEDO's do very well in most aplications.

I don't know why people wouldn't use it in everything. It's rated for gasoline engines, easily available. I see VOAs of non-HD oils and the additive package numbers are lower than a UOA I do on a HD oil. Usually it's a little more difficult to find much lighter viscosity than a 10w-30 but that should cover a lot of autos. My Powerstroke used to have a cat till it fell off and the manual called for HDEO.

Last edited:
I've used one in my TL since it was new and it now has 90,000 miles with 0 emissions problems. I think it's safe to say HDEOs won't hurt convertors unless it burns oil and burning oil hurts convertors regardless of the type of oil.

Well you could plain and simple,and the fear of burning out your cats IMO is false,why? how many dead cats have you heard about back when API was SL/CI?? not many at all.

HDEOs are the bomb!

Originally Posted By: daman
HDEOs are the bomb!

+1 that is the only thing going in my car from now on

I use HDEO in all my older vehicles and lawn mowers. But with our newer Honda, thats calls for 5w-20, I dont feel comfortable using HDEO.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
The lack of viscosity choices is the one reason why I don't use it in my stuff.

+1
I do use it in specific circumstances where I think it may help. Im going to give Rotella T5 a shot in the Montana to see if it quiets the infamous GM3400 rattle. Actually first it will probably get old Rotella 10W30 since I have a jug and a quart of 5W40.

The lack of viscosity choices is the one reason why I don't use it in my
stuff.

Who knows, Jim? Maybe we'll start seeing some Delo/Delvac/Rotella 5W20 in years to come...
lol.gif

In most climates, you could.
Rotella 10W-30 and 5W-40 are widely available.
There are also other 5W-40 HDEOs, incluidng Delo and Valvoline, but I hardly ever see them.
If I wanted to buy just one oil for every car we owned, T6 would be a good choice, for example.

Good point. I guess I could have phrased the question...

"Assuming viscosity compatibility, why not use them in everything?"

Originally Posted By: sven98
I use HDEO in all my older vehicles and lawn mowers.

Ditto. It goes in all my lawnmowers/tractors/yard equipment too.

Like mentioned Jim they do make a 10W-30,30w and 5W-40 that are widely available.

So far, the 3.5 in my (new to me) 2007 Chrysler 300 is really liking the Rotella T5 10w30. One of the first things I noticed when I test drove this car was that the 3.5 in it emitted more noise than the 3.5 in my 99 300M. No knocking or anything like that, but you can definitely hear the lifters some (like in a Honda engine) whereas the 3.5 in my 300M was dead silent.

During the AutoRX treatment and the subsequent rinse phase the noise issue remained the same. But now, after about 500 miles on the T5, the engine is noticeably quieter. So, I don't know whether to attribute it to the Rotella or the the AutoRX, but either way, I'm pleased.

I'm trying to weigh whether this "poisoning the cat" is anything to worry about. We started cats in what 1975? Oil back then was I think SD or SE rating and I'm sure had some zinc in it although I don't know and for the most part cars burned more oil back then than modern engines and yet we never heard or even thought of the "poison" problem until a couple years ago? Another over engineered "fix" for a problem that doesn't exist thanks to our government goofballs.

Originally Posted By: RonH
I'm trying to weigh whether this "poisoning the cat" is anything to worry about. We started cats in what 1975? Oil back then was I think SD or SE rating and I'm sure had some zinc in it although I don't know and for the most part cars burned more oil back then than modern engines and yet we never heard or even thought of the "poison" problem until a couple years ago? Another over engineered "fix" for a problem that doesn't exist thanks to our government goofballs.

Originally Posted By: daman
Well you could plain and simple,and the fear of burning out your cats IMO is false,why? how many dead cats have you heard about back when API was SL/CI?? not many at all.

IMO i'ts not a issue at all! use it and be happy.

Cat poisoning can only be an issue if the efficiency thresholds are tightened in newer engines. I would still think that they would have go radical on the condemnation levels to even make the old SJ oils cause cat failure over 1.5X the OEM warranty span ..more if mileage was the primary criteria instead of time. Aside from a few unicorns, there has never been any mass cat failures from poisoning.

Maybe if they make them cheaper ..use less platinum.

But to the OP - sure, if they had more wide availability of 30 grades ..or tweaked the 10w up a tick on the HTHS so it could officially be called a 20 grade, more would use them. 15w-40 just doesn't fit everyone's needs. I think if the 30 synthetics were in wider distribution they would sell well. Delo has one ..and, of course, our Canadian neighbors have a some from Imperial Esso and Shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back