1999 Civic EX ATF change, drain/refill question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my little Civic just hit 150,000 miles the other day, I thought about all the maintenance that is coming up and the first is changing out the automatic transmission fluid. I've never done this procedure, but from what I've read I can just put the car on my ramps, loosen the drain bolt, replace drain bolt and then put about 3 quarts in.

At this point, do I HAVE to drive it a short distance and then refill again or can I drive it until my next oil change which is in about 2k miles. I understand that doing a drain/refill won't change all of the fluid but as long as I replace some of it with some fresh fluid, I think it's doing some good. I'm using the Honda ATF, FWIW.

Thanks guys!

You probably won't even need to put your car on the ramps. If it's in the same location as my Integra you just turn the wheel all the way to the right and you can access it behind the passenger side wheel. Might be in a slightly different location tho so maybe the ramps are necessary for that car. You don't have to do a drain/refill again right away.

you can wait 2k till the next one. If your trying to get out the most fluid as possible, do a 3x3. Its a drain and refill with 3 qts, 3 times.

glad to hear you dont have the same tranny problems as my honda

Thanks for the quick replies. Good to hear that I can wait on doing the next drain & refill as I plan on ordering more ATF through H&A accessories (along with some oil filters and other items) which is about $2/qt cheaper than the local dealership.

And I'll likely do a 3rd refill at the next-next oil change. And thankfully the transmission is still going strong, just a little clunky on some shifts but hopefully some fresh fluid clears it up.

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID
Thanks for the quick replies. Good to hear that I can wait on doing the next drain & refill as I plan on ordering more ATF through H&A accessories (along with some oil filters and other items) which is about $2/qt cheaper than the local dealership.

And I'll likely do a 3rd refill at the next-next oil change. And thankfully the transmission is still going strong, just a little clunky on some shifts but hopefully some fresh fluid clears it up.

It might. When I changed my ATF for the first time it was like night and day. The effect isn't as dramatic anymore though, as I've changed it 5 times since I bought it now.

check your fluid level right now, if it is correct, this is what you do...

1. drain the oil into an EMPTY pan
2. pour the old tranny fluid into something that can measure how much fluid is in there. an empty 5qt jug is perfect for something like this.
3. measure how much is in that jug and put back in the same amount.

Originally Posted By: calvinnnnnnnnn
check your fluid level right now, if it is correct, this is what you do...

1. drain the oil into an EMPTY pan
2. pour the old tranny fluid into something that can measure how much fluid is in there. an empty 5qt jug is perfect for something like this.
3. measure how much is in that jug and put back in the same amount.

Yeah, good point. In my Integra it's always 2.5 quarts like clockwork.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back