What engine oil for 1999 Kodiak 400?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is what the manual says:

yamalube.png

It's been a couple of years since I've changed the oil since I don't use it very often(about 200 miles/yr). The oil that's in there right now is Motul 10W-40 full synthetic. I went to the Yamaha dealer near me and they don't sell Motul anymore. They wanted to sell me some [censored] semi-synthetic Ipone oil that was really expensive.
31.gif

So here I am, asking you ATV boys and girls what should I use. So?
21.gif

I'd go to CT, and get some Rotella 'SB' 0W-40. It's on sale starting this Saturday.

AFAIK, it's not friction-modified, and is SJ-rated. It will cover all temps you could possibly see.

What addguy recommended or any HDEO 15w40 or 5w40 from wallmart will work prefect(low to no moly) in that unit!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I'd go to CT, and get some Rotella 'SB' 0W-40. It's on sale starting this Saturday.

AFAIK, it's not friction-modified, and is SJ-rated. It will cover all temps you could possibly see.

Rotella SB? Never heard of it. Is is a synthetic? I use my ATV in in the spring, summer and fall. Usually from April t'ill December. It can see temps anywhere from -15C to 35C

I'm not sure if it's the same formula as in 2006, but here is a reply from Shell on useing the 0w40 in wet clutches.
Quote:
Rotella T SB 0W-40 is not that shear stable, which would be magnified in a transmission clutch/tranmission situation and that in company with anything associated with synthetics(all PAO in this case) and clutches could be contributors to the observation of clutch slippage. Tt also does "not" have the JASO T903. We currently would have FormulaShell 10W-40 and 20W-50 as T903 recommendations. The 20w50 is a synthetic blend. Other customers have used Rotella T SB 10w40 with excellent results.

The use of Rotella T SB 0W-40 for this type of application is uncertain and potentially inappropriate, however it appears that there may be other extenuating circumstances( the filter issue) that may have clouded the perception of oil as the only cause of the problem. To answer your question, in general diesel rated engine oils do not contain friction modifiers and are not energy conserving oils.

RotellaT 5w40 synthetic will be available to the Canadian Market by end of July the earliset or in the fall at the latest. That still leaves open the question of Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 and whether it is a viable recommendation motorcycle applications. I guess the only real way of knowing would be to have the 5W-40 tested for the JASO T903.

Hope this anwers your concerns.

Regards,

Jerome Milce
Technical Representative
Shell Canada Products

The 5w40 is probably the better choice for wet clutch ATV's.

Originally Posted By: Hitzy
I'm not sure if it's the same formula as in 2006, but here is a reply from Shell on useing the 0w40 in wet clutches.
Quote:
Rotella T SB 0W-40 is not that shear stable, which would be magnified in a transmission clutch/tranmission situation and that in company with anything associated with synthetics(all PAO in this case) and clutches could be contributors to the observation of clutch slippage. Tt also does "not" have the JASO T903. We currently would have FormulaShell 10W-40 and 20W-50 as T903 recommendations. The 20w50 is a synthetic blend. Other customers have used Rotella T SB 10w40 with excellent results.

The use of Rotella T SB 0W-40 for this type of application is uncertain and potentially inappropriate, however it appears that there may be other extenuating circumstances( the filter issue) that may have clouded the perception of oil as the only cause of the problem. To answer your question, in general diesel rated engine oils do not contain friction modifiers and are not energy conserving oils.

RotellaT 5w40 synthetic will be available to the Canadian Market by end of July the earliset or in the fall at the latest. That still leaves open the question of Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40 and whether it is a viable recommendation motorcycle applications. I guess the only real way of knowing would be to have the 5W-40 tested for the JASO T903.

Regards,

Jerome Milce
Technical Representative
Shell Canada Products

Oh...right on. Rotella T6 5W-40?
Any other suggestions? I wanna stick with 100% synthetic.

Ive used in my ATVs...

any HDEO 15w40 or 5w40

M1 15w50 Red cap or currant silver cap
M1 EP 15w50 Gold cap
M1 TDT 5w40
Amsoil MC oil 20w50

all good for wet cluch use.

Originally Posted By: RageOfFury
Originally Posted By: Hitzy
Quote:

Regards,

Jerome Milce
Technical Representative
Shell Canada Products

Oh...right on. Rotella T6 5W-40?
Any other suggestions? I wanna stick with 100% synthetic.

I have used Amsoil 0w40 which gave me some consumption in the winter, and Mobil 1 MX4T 10w40 but only in the summer. Both are great synthetic oils, but the best bang for the buck is Rotella 5w40. Amsoil and MX4T are $13-$15 a quart here, jug of Rotella 5w40 is $20 right now at Canadian tire. Buy 2 or 3 jugs and you will be set for a while.
If you don't run it in the winter, then the dino 15w40 Rotella is also excellent and on for $15 at CT right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back