PP 5w40 Euro, 6091 mi. on oil, 08 Mazdaspeed 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not my UOA but got it from a nice guy on the mazdaspeed forums. This is easily one of the best I've seen for our engine. The 40 weight sheared down to a high 30 weight, but a 30 weight is what this engine calls for anyhow. The Universal Averages are for 4,200 miles, he ran this oil 6,091 miles and had similar and sometimes less wear numbers. The previous UOA listed is w/ the same oil, the Euro forumula of PP 5w40. He had a bad air filter on it though.

I'll update later with driving style etc.

MS3_OIL_OTHER.JPG

Last edited:
Nice TBN retention on that oil. Could have easily done 10-12k miles.

I suspect a small amount of your wear metals are still lingering break-in. Copper and Silicon are dropping nicely.

Nice report... and on an oil that we haven't seen much of. Great tbn retention! Sheared, but that seems to be a trait of many 40 weights.

Update on his driving, as promised:

My driving was a combination of a lot. My commute to work is about maybe a 10 minute drive, city. I always try to run it for the full 10 minutes though, and never hammer on it unless its been running for at least 10-15. I did a few road trips too on that oil, mostly from Burlington to PA, 800mi round trip, so theres a big chunk of highway miles too.

Other than the commute, and the road trips its all city. And lots of beating on the car too. I'm not abusive, but I'm not shy about feeling the torque.

This is a good report for a turbo direct injection motor. It looks like the PP 5W-40 has a Noack of 11. That's a little higher then I would like to see. This might be a good choice for my new GTI 2.0T.

What online stores carry this weight again?

Here is the SL rated Euro

PP 5W-40 SL

Here is the SM rate Euro

PP 5W-40 SM

The HT/HS was lowered from 3.9 to 3.68 for the new SM oil

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shpankey
You can get it here.

hate to bump a thread, but that appears to be the SL rated one, the one on oilstore is the SL(CST 14.5) one, the one that was most likely used in this UOA was the SM rated(CST 13.1)

i want to find the SM rated one. any ideas?

Email the oilstore, actual name of the company is Purvis Bros Oil, one of the oldest Pennzoil distributors in the country. They more than likely have the SM stuff but it is just not listed on this particular website.

FWIW, for those who are looking for Ultra 5w-40, I emailed them and asked them about Ultra 5w-40 - "Is your Pennzoil 5w-40 European the "Platinum" or "Ultra" line?"

And they replied, "It is the Platinum European 5w40. Pennzoil will be releasing additional Ultra grades in the near future but they are not yet available. Please check back again. Thank you."

This was from Mar 20.

Didn't ask about SL or SM. Please let us know if you find out.

However, if it is SM, it has the same specs as Ultra, and is probably the same thing.

Originally Posted By: SilverGGA
Didn't ask about SL or SM. Please let us know if you find out.

However, if it is SM, it has the same specs as Ultra, and is probably the same thing.

they didn't reply yet. emailed 2 days ago though

Tell him to try Amsoil SSO or Ultra 5w30 in this engine. You should not need a 40 grade here.

The 40 weight comes from Mazda themselves. They've changed their recommendation to a 40 weight due to a smoking turbo issue where oil is getting past the seals and causing our cars to smoke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back