22x1.5MM 6-H Oil Filter Thread?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just discovered the filter/oil pump thread on my 2010 Dodge Charger Hemi 5.7L is not your usual 22x1.5 MM thread as used on many cars including Ford. The 6-H designation is a special thread pitch and is not supposed to be interchangable.

Does anyone know of any other filters, other than the WIX 57899 and the Purolator L24651 that have the 22x1.5 MM 6-H thread??? I am especially interested in filters longer than 3.740 inches with a diameter around 3.675"

Thanks

I have worked in the automotive aftermarket since 1982 working for both Napa & GM. Twice in my career, I have seen warranty claims for a new motor due to a filter failing. Wix paid one because the crimp had failed on the filter. The other time it was denied due to the customer not using the recommended filter. Are you willing to take that chance? Use the recommended filter and don't worry about trying to find a longer filter just so you can add an extra 1/2 qt. More engine wear is probably created trying to fill the longer filter after an oil change than any positive of a longer filter.

Just my two cents,

Dave

scurvy has answered my post on another thread...thanks for the help!

"6H is the 'medium' tolerance for an internal metric thread. The absence of any thread standard defaults to the 'medium' tolerance.

If thread tolerance class designation (i.e., '-6H') is omitted, it defaults to 'medium' thread tolerance which is 6H/6g (internal/external). The 6H/6g fit is the standard ISO tolerance class for general use.

So in this case the difference between the 22x1.5 MM 6H and the 22.1.5 MM without the 6H is that one is shorter to write. They both define the same thread & tolerance class."

Last edited:
WOW, I must be lucky...never had a WIX filter fail! Have had three FRAM filters fail at installation on girlfriend's cars, one crimp split at start-up and two gaskets split at start-up, but have been using WIX and Purolator for 32 years without a failure. Even owning as many as five vehicles at one time doing oil changes throughout the year....
Lucky I guess...

Originally Posted By: bmod305
I have worked in the automotive aftermarket since 1982 working for both Napa & GM. Twice in my career, I have seen warranty claims for a new motor due to a filter failing. Wix paid one because the crimp had failed on the filter. The other time it was denied due to the customer not using the recommended filter. Are you willing to take that chance? Use the recommended filter and don't worry about trying to find a longer filter just so you can add an extra 1/2 qt. More engine wear is probably created trying to fill the longer filter after an oil change than any positive of a longer filter.

Just my two cents,

Dave

we run a fleet of service trucks. For DECADES all we used was Fram.

Never ever had an issue. In those days with dino oil we were changing oil every weekend!

Maybe I ran into a bad batch, but all three were purchased at different stores in different areas. Fram did ask for the filter to be returned at their expense for examination which I did. The reply from them was "Product Failure" and they enclosed a coupon for a free Fram filter. After the third failure within a year, I just stopped buying them!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
we run a fleet of service trucks. For DECADES all we used was Fram.

Never ever had an issue. In those days with dino oil we were changing oil every weekend!

Well at least Fram admitted their product failed. That's better than some manufacturers. Although maybe they were quick to take responsibilty because an engine repair was not on the line? In that case they may not be as quick to admit the filter failed on its own accord. At least when your Frams failed they did not completely oil starve the engine. That's something.

Since we are part of a 5 store group, we purchase our Wix(Napa) filters in $20K(our cost) shipments that come in weekly. Been doing that since the 80's; that is thousands & thousands of filters sold over the years. We sell to many farmers, city shops, repair shops, commercial users and retail customers. We probably get 2-4 alleged defective filters claims a year. 99% percent are for bad threads. In other words, the end user doesn't screw the filter on correctly or they look at the rolled threads that Wix uses and thinks they are bad. After 28 years and millions of dollars worth of Wix filters, I don't think a couple of leaking filters are bad. I do know that if the proper filter is used, receipts kept, Wix will stand behind any problem. Just another reason to stay with a name brand filter company bought from a locally owned store. Walmart, or many online retailers would just laugh at a filter labor or engine claim. I never have understood someone trying to save a few bucks on a 20-40K vehicle by putting a cheap filter on their car or truck. Your car or truck is your second largest purchase(behind their house); why skimp. Talk to your local store, most run a spring or fall filter sale that allows you stock up and save.

FYI, I used to have over 50 different filters cut apart in one of our stores. It was amazing how cheap the filters that most quick lubes used looked like. Even today, they are paying between .99 and 1.39 for most of their filters. Most of no name filters are now made in China. A Napa ProSelect(bulk pack case) at a $1.69 to $1.80 each is too expensive for them. After having a week off for a vacation, I was shocked to find that all of the cut apart filters had been throw out and the garbage truck had already picked them up. A new delivery driver was told to clean that area of the back room and threw them out thinking they were old filters. I just had to laugh.

Just my two cents,

Dave

Originally Posted By: n3fvg
I just discovered the filter/oil pump thread on my 2010 Dodge Charger Hemi 5.7L is not your usual 22x1.5 MM thread as used on many cars including Ford. The 6-H designation is a special thread pitch and is not supposed to be interchangable.

Does anyone know of any other filters, other than the WIX 57899 and the Purolator L24651 that have the 22x1.5 MM 6-H thread??? I am especially interested in filters longer than 3.740 inches with a diameter around 3.675"

Thanks

I have a 2008 5.7L Ram and it uses the exact same filter adapter on my block as your 2010 5.7L has. The 08+ 4.7L uses the same filter/filter adapter on block as well. The standard 22X1.5M thread filters work just fine. Don't sweat it and worry about the 6H business. Just use whatever brand you want and go with whatever # they list by application. There are countless guys out there doing this so just don't worry about it. I am using Royal Purple # 20-820 with no issues.

I will also chime in and say with your vehicle under warranty stick to the correct filter by application( either MOPAR/OE or the filter # listed by an aftermarket filter mfg ). I say this as someone who has worked dealer service as well. All you are doing, even if the filter spec's out the same as the OE filter other than length, is giving the car mfg AND the filter mfg an out. Use the correct filter by application. The extra 1/4 qt of oil you gain going from a short to a long filter in your application is going to give you nothing.

Last edited:
True, true. When they failed, I was standing there and immediately shut down the engine as I saw the oil pouring out from underneath. I wasn't happy about it happening, but I caught it immediately although it made quite a mess!

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
Well at least Fram admitted their product failed. That's better than some manufacturers. Although maybe they were quick to take responsibilty because an engine repair was not on the line? In that case they may not be as quick to admit the filter failed on its own accord. At least when your Frams failed they did not completely oil starve the engine. That's something.

Thanks...all the filters in my cabinet for my Mercury Marauder that I just sold can now be used on my Charger. I did check the application guides since I have one K&N, four Mobil 1, two Motorcraft FL-820S and one WIX on hand. Each of the application guides and corresponding filter numbers all specify those filters for the 2010 Dodge Charger with the 5.7L engine.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: n3fvg

Thanks

I have a 2008 5.7L Ram and it uses the exact same filter adapter on my block as your 2010 5.7L has. The 08+ 4.7L uses the same filter/filter adapter on block as well. The standard 22X1.5M thread filters work just fine. Don't sweat it and worry about the 6H business. Just use whatever brand you want and go with whatever # they list by application. There are countless guys out there doing this so just don't worry about it. I am using Royal Purple # 20-820 with no issues.

I will also chime in and say with your vehicle under warranty stick to the correct filter by application( either MOPAR/OE or the filter # listed by an aftermarket filter mfg ). I say this as someone who has worked dealer service as well. All you are doing, even if the filter spec's out the same as the OE filter other than length, is giving the car mfg AND the filter mfg an out. Use the correct filter by application. The extra 1/4 qt of oil you gain going from a short to a long filter in your application is going to give you nothing.

You can always get a 22mm x1.5 bolt and see if it goes in smoothly. Get out your magnifier and see if it chews up the threads any. Could even use a torque wrench to check consistency of machining from filter to filter.

1 - he would need a nut not a bolt( the adapter is the "bolt" )
56.gif

2 - as said all 08+ 4.7L and 5.7L HEMI Chrysler engines take the same filter. He will be fine with a FL820S equivelant.

56.gif

Correct....

2 - as said all 08+ 4.7L and 5.7L HEMI Chrysler engines take the same filter. He will be fine with a FL820S equivelant.

Correct again

56.gif

I think eljefino meant run a bolt into the filter not the filter mounting pad. I agree with you on 2.

56.gif

I think eljefino meant run a bolt into the filter not the filter mounting pad.

DUH!!!! What an idiot!
33.gif

OMG!!!!

56.gif

I think eljefino meant run a bolt into the filter not the filter mounting pad.

DUH!!!! What an idiot!
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back