Why does everyone hate Arco gasoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
fujirio,

I've seen the listing you provided and of course I don't doubt the authenticity of the list.

I only meant that I read from a previous posting that the quality of Arco gas should have been considered Top Tier.

Still it appears generally some people think not highly of Arco and some like myself think it's decent gasoline that needs more looking into. Let's not drag a dead horse.

Durango

Years ago, where I lived, Arco and Beacon were the only ones using ethanol in gasoline. Hence, they got a bad reputation for poor performance and fuel economy, but cheap gas. Today almost everybody uses ethanol, so many cannot tell a difference with fuel economy. Plus modern computer controlled engines help tune for ethanol while in the old days with carbs and such, cars would just tun worse with it. Today, we all just get bad gas!

ARCO caused fouled injectors in my 86 F150 every time I used it. The truck would miss at idle and run rough after just 75 or so miles on a tank of ARCO gas. It would take a half a tank with a can of Berrymans B12 before it would smooth out.

Every once in a while I would try a tank of ARCO thinking maybe they improved... but the missing and rough idle would come right back. I sold the truck just over a year ago, and it still passed smog as long as I didn't run ARCO gas.

tchguy,

Since we both live in California it's hard for me to believe the quality is so different between us. I used Arco once per week and in my Dodge Durango it's fine to use. I haven't had any blip from the engine at all using just regular.

Same thing on my recently purchased 08' Impala SS it appears to run fine too. This includes my brothers Cadillac CTS using premium gasoline.

Wierd.

Durango

We don't have arco stations here, but when I was very young back in the late 60's early 70's, we used to take a family vacation to the Seatle Wa. area. Arco stations had a promation that if you filled up with gas you would get a toy. So naturally I was always looking at the gas gauge and telling dad he needed to stop at an arco station. The toy was a pair of small plastic animals that you collected to fill a boat called Noah's Arc.
My mom still has the arco toys.

Originally Posted By: Ross
We don't have arco stations here, but when I was very young back in the late 60's early 70's, we used to take a family vacation to the Seatle Wa. area. Arco stations had a promation that if you filled up with gas you would get a toy. So naturally I was always looking at the gas gauge and telling dad he needed to stop at an arco station. The toy was a pair of small plastic animals that you collected to fill a boat called Noah's Arc.
My mom still has the arco toys.

That's cute. I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back