Filters on GM 2.2 Ecotec engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the situation. A female friend wants me to change oil in her '03 Cavalier. It has that goofy filter screwed into the valve cover as I think the 2.2s do. My quandry is what happens if these filters become plugged? Do they go into bypass like a normal filter? The reason I'm asking is that her oil hasn't been changed in a LONG time and I want to re-fill it with either Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30 or new Pennzoil High-Cleaning 10w-30. I want to gently clean the engine without dislodging a ton of dirt and sludge and plug up the filter and blow the engine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As far as oil's I'd go with M1 5w30HM or PP5w30 we know their oil's clean well and you'd be sticking with the factory recommended viscosity,the ecotec engines are very easy on oil and not known for sluge.

plus their priced right at your local WM.

The car has 55,000 miles on it. I'm sticking with conventional oil either way I go.Should I stick with the Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30 then? Also, will the oil filter need to be changed on a regular basis during the OCI so it doesn't plug up?

My daughter's '03 Grand Am has the same engine/filter and I tend to change the oil right around 3,000 miles just because I think this filter is a little on the small size and there does not appear to be any bypass mechanism. The upside to this filter is it came be easily changed and you may want to change it after 1,000 miles and see how it is holding up with the new oil.
Would love to see a picture of the filter you take out that has been in there a long time.

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
The car has 55,000 miles on it. I'm sticking with conventional oil either way I go.Should I stick with the Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30 then? Also, will the oil filter need to be changed on a regular basis during the OCI so it doesn't plug up?

Either will work Both are excellent oils.

Change both the filter and oil at the same time. If she has not been changing the oil often (following the OLM) then I'd prob do a 3,000 oci and then follow the OLM.

Take care, Bill

I was under the impression that the cap contained the bypass....is that not the case?

edit....yeah just rechecked. The filter cap is where the bypass is located. If you have concerns that it may be plugged or not bypassing properly, then get a new cap. Part# pf458g, that will include a new cap and filter as well, a Hengst.

Last edited:
Wait a minute! It's all coming back to me now. I have changed the oil in a neglected 2002 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2. This car went about 20,000 miles between oil changes on synthetic so the by-pass must be in the engine itself. Good, I can change the filter once and have peace of mind. Thanks for all of your help.

It's not in the engine....it's in the filter canister cap.

Not sure if it makes any difference, but I just checked and the bypass is definitely in the cap itself. Not the engine.

That's weird. Thanks for checking on that. The only filter I could find at WM was a SuperTech.

If this car is a 2003, and it has the ecotec motor, it probably has the old style cap on the cartridge oil filter housing.

Order the part mentioned above from the dealer, it includes the new cap and a delco filter.

About a 10 dollar item from the chevy dealer.

I wouldn't worry about the length of the last oil change. The OLM on these things is pretty long. My saturn oil light has been going off at right near 7000 miles, I have been changing it at 4500 miles due to time not miles.

Justin,
It sounds like it has been a lot longer than that, my friend. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Also, is the SuperTech good enough or should I get a better filter?

Like Justin says....If it has the old style cap dont use a new style filter with the old cap. The bypass pressure for the two wont match up.

Get the 458g and avoid all headaches.

I cant find the exact link right now......This bulletin is from a Saab discussion group but the info is good for both the 2.0 and the 2.2 ecotec's.....

The purpose of this bulletin is to provide information about a new design oil filter cap assembly (P/N 12580254) and oil filter element (P/N 12579143) that has been released for service on 2.2L 4-cylinder engines (RPO L61) and supercharged 2.0L 4-cylinder engines (RPO LSJ).

Important
Always inspect for new design oil filter cap. If a new design oil filter cap (P/N 12580254) is present, the new design oil filter element (P/N 12579143) must be used to service this vehicle.

The new design oil filter cap can be identified by the rounded contour of the outer edges, rather than the flat edges on the previous designs. This new design oil filter cap is intended to backservice all previous model year vehicles. The new design oil filter element must be used to service vehicles with this new design oil filter cap. Refer to the "Parts Compatibility" table included in this bulletin for more information.

Notice
Do NOT use an old design oil filter element (P/N 22685727) in combination with the new design oil filter cap . The bypass valve in the new design oil filter cap is designed with increased relief pressure. Use of an old design oil filter element with the new design oil filter cap could result in damage to the engine.

Should I stick with the Mobil Clean 5000 5w-30 then? Also, will the oil filter need to be changed on a regular basis during the OCI so it doesn't plug up?

The MC5 will work fine and R&R the filter also each change.

How has the aforementioned 2002 Sunfire been doing fine then? It always gets a new Purolator filter with the stock factory cap from '02. That bulletin looks as if it warns against using an old filter with a new cap.

Last edited:
Except for the Fram CH 9018 that Walmart usually has for $7-8, the ST 9018 at $5.69 is one of the most expensive cartridges, but the only one made in America by an American company that I know of. You can get either an AC or Purolator at AAP for under $5.

How has the aforementioned 2002 Sunfire been doing fine then? It always gets a new Purolator filter with the stock factory cap from '02. That bulletin looks as if it warns against using an old filter with a new cap.

Not trying to confuse the issue.....All I know is that the new cap is supposed to be used with the new style filters. Buying the 458g eliminates all doubt is all I'm saying. Guess I assumed that if the new cap wont work with a old filter, then the reverse would hold true as well. If the pressure relief is different between the two, wouldn't that pose a problem. Either way.

Does the 2003 have the sharp edged cap or the rounded edge one?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back