air bubbles on dipstick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently changed some very nasty old oil in a 70 Lincoln MkIII, 460 ci engine, to Delo 20-40.

After changing it and taking it out for a 40+ min drive, checked the oil level and there were about 10 small air bubbles on the dipstick evenly interspersed in the oil.

Any idea what this is?

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Any idea what this is?
Sounds like air bubbles. They're full of air.
grin2.gif

Some cars do that. Was the engine running at the time?

With a 40 year old Lincoln, a few bubbles on the dipstick would be the least of my worries. If the oil level was at the appropriate level, don't give it a second thought.

Some air bubbles are normal, especially if you pull the dipstick shortly after a drive. Need to remember, that oil is getting sloshed around quite a bit at normal rpm.

Just my .02.

Dave

The oil is foaming would be my bet, I haven't seen it happen on modern oils unless Lucas oil stabilizer was added.I bet this is what is happening.

Just so you know what I meant. I think Lucas Oil Stabilizer is junk. I have seen the bubbles on the dipstick after adding it. I watched a video somewhere of a clear oil pan on an engine using Lucas Oil Stabilizer and it looked like a milkshake only after the stabilizer was added.

I personally think that 20-40 Rotella is the culprit. I would go to a 10w-40 because I would bet that Lincoln probably was fed a diet of it.

You might try adding Marvel mystery oil to the 10W-40 for a few oil changes to clean out the junk. Using a naptha based flush like Gunk or others might mean having to take the oil pan off to clean out the sludge. I have made a concoction of 3 quarts of oil and two quarts of MMO and ran it for about 100 miles with great success of flushing out those old engines. I would fill the engine and start it and drive it continuously for a couple of hours, pull it in and while the oil was hot, drain it and fill with normal oil. Then, about 500 miles later repeat. After about two or three of these changes,I would throw in a can of Restore in with the oil and I have done compression checks before and after with very nice results. I just used the cheapest oil and filter(wal-mart) for the flushes and then go with a Purolator Pure one or equivilent on the final change.

Those old 460s were good engines, plenty of torque to get those dinosaurs moving.

Just another note, If that engine hasn't had any headwork done to it, those 1970 valve seats are cast iron and not induction hardened which is suitable for unleaded fuel. That Lincoln needs MMO or a lead replacement additive in the gas. The old tetraethyl lead was in the gas back then as a anti-knock agent and to cushion the seats with lead. Problem was, the lead was poisoning everyone.

Originally Posted By: brsmith

I personally think that 20-40 Rotella is the culprit. I would go to a 10w-40 because I would bet that Lincoln probably was fed a diet of it.

I don't understand this logic...at operating temp both oils are 40 weight, how would changing to a lower cold weight help in this case??

I'm assuming the OP means he used 15W-40, as 20W-40 isn't really made anymore.

No way a 15W-40 is too heavy for an old Ford BB......

I don't understand this logic...at operating temp both oils are 40 weight, how would changing to a lower cold weight help in this case??

I am not talking about the weight, I think the Rotella could have more detergent dispersants in it that is causing the foaming, or it is diluted by some means, or improper crankcase ventilation. I would also check the PCV and the breather.

It is the oil, something diluting the oil, or improper crankcase ventilation.

I am not saying that the oil is defective, I am suggesting what could be causing the bubbles since he said he noticed the bubbles immediately after changing the oil. Since this appears to be his car, he knows it quite well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back