How long do sealed bottles of brake fluid last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two quart bottles of Castrol GT LMA brake fluid that are still sealed with the foil and never been opened. I have had them for about 2 years now and they are stored in the garage so they see cold in the winter and hot in the summer (if that matters).

Are these still good to use? How long can I keep them stored like this?

Thanks!

2 years is a guideline...that two year recommendation is shortened significantly when it experiences extreme cold and extreme heat...if you put this two year old fluid in your vehicle, how long are you intending on leaving it in for? That is another factor to consider...also remember that brake fluid is very inexpensive....

I've heard that metal containers are better for storing brake fluid, I guess they transfer less moisture than plastic. Like the others inferred, brake fluid is cheap.

So many cars have brake fluid that is 5-10+years old.
So, if you plan on bleeding every 1-2 years or so, feel free to use that fluid. No point in adding it to the environment without putting it to work 1st for a couple years.

If you don't bleed regularly, then invest in new fluid.

Well I want to start bleading my brakes and clutch regularly, but you know how that works!

I'm going to get some speedbleaders for my breaks and clutch on my Civic Si and change it all out soon.

I'll probably just buy new fluid... Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back