What for treating rubber and weatherstripping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck is about to turn 7 years old and the weather stripping is starting to look a little ratty. What can I use to clean it up and make it last me another 25 years?

Silicone grease is great. Honda sells the stuff in a tube.. a little goes a long way.... but spray silicone is great also....just be sure that it is pure silicone spray and no petroleom in it....

you can buy silicone grease in a tube on amazon. you should start looking after the rubbers from the first year you purchased the vehicle. i use the silicone spray and do all the rubbers twice a year.

Oddly, I don't think sil glyde works very well on it even though it's listed on the tube. It's sticky, which is good for some places but not weatherstripping. Spray silicone seems to go on drier and do a decent job eliminating noises, but I doubt it has any protective (uv or otherwise) aspect to it's use.

A lot of people who are a lot more obsessive than I am use Krytox grease. I can't remember the reasons but if you Google that you will get hits. Supposedly better for some reason but also quite a bit more expensive.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
303 or 1Z gummi pflege.

Almost any OTC rubber/vinyl protectant will be better than nothing.

What about the tire shine stuff from Dollar Tree? Im only half joking.

So I can get some silicone spray from walmart or target then? Is armor all and those types of things for the birds?

I use silicone spray 2x a year as mentioned. I use Napa SilGlyde on my Mustang convertible because it tends to last longer than the spray and is more effective in lubricating the weatherstripping and silencing noise from the seal between theeatherstripping and the glass.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
A lot of people who are a lot more obsessive than I am use Krytox grease. I can't remember the reasons but if you Google that you will get hits. Supposedly better for some reason but also quite a bit more expensive.

I'm one of those folks
lol.gif
It is expensive, but worth it. BTW - we also use it in my assembly plant.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tdbo
I use silicone spray 2x a year as mentioned. I use Napa SilGlyde on my Mustang convertible because it tends to last longer than the spray and is more effective in lubricating the weatherstripping and silencing noise from the seal between theeatherstripping and the glass.

So you lube the upper rubber seal that the glass sits on when the door is closed? It doesnt make a mess on the windows?

My 82 MB Coupe doesnt have the automatic window up/down when the doors are opened/closed like the mustang, making the lube very important... and Ive replaced my seals but not lubed them. However i was afraid Id have a mess...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Tdbo

So you lube the upper rubber seal that the glass sits on when the door is closed? It doesnt make a mess on the windows?

My 82 MB Coupe doesnt have the automatic window up/down when the doors are opened/closed like the mustang, making the lube very important... and Ive replaced my seals but not lubed them. However i was afraid Id have a mess...

It doesn't make a mess (however, I work it in well.) The windows (its a convertible) were making such a loud noise that it was unbearable to drive. Took it to the dealer and that's what they did to it. Seems to solve the problem.

So what was making the noise? My car is pilliarless (nothing behind the door window, the whole thing goes down like on a convertible, and has frameless doors.

It is all silent, just seems to rub the window to the weatherstrip a bit much, so it seems some lubrication would be helpful.

5e52ce32.jpg

So you work sil glyde from a tube into the strips to keep them slightly lubed?

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
So what was making the noise? My car is pilliarless (nothing behind the door window, the whole thing goes down like on a convertible, and has frameless doors.

It is all silent, just seems to rub the window to the weatherstrip a bit much, so it seems some lubrication would be helpful.

5e52ce32.jpg

So you work sil glyde from a tube into the strips to keep them slightly lubed?

The problem that I had was when I drove the car over a bumpy road, the noise was unbearable. Due to body flex, the windows physically moved (Found this out by putting my hand on them while driving.) After returning to the dealer and the dealer lubing the weatherstripping, it no longer made the noise on the drivers side. When this happened on the passenger side, I got some sil glyde and worked a small amount into the strips to keep them lubed so that the rubber grips the glass enough to stop the movement and thus the noise. Not sure that I totally understand why, but it seems to work and I have not had the noise since.

OK, got it. I think the lube actually lets it all slide so that things don't creak and squeak due to friction...

One of the old timers tricks (includes me) is to leave the doors open on the first latch when the vehicle is'nt being used. This keeps the stripping from being compressed all the time and keeps the door fit tighter. Cheap too John--Las Vegas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back