Looking for an oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to change to a synthetic oil in the near future, something along the lines of M1 0W/40. The engines are a 2001 2.0 liter Hyundai and a GM 3.1. The 3.1 calls for 5w/30 and the Hyundai calls for 5w/30 from retardedly cold to 90*F (don't know the actual spec offhand) and 10w/30 from above 90*F down to around 10*(ish)F. The Hyundai has 53K on the clock and the 3.1 is an engine I'm re-ringing along with doing some other minor odds and ends to, so after the initial run in period, it will (hopefully) live out it's life on synthetic.

Am I out of line on my guess? Is there a better alternative? I like the idea of a 0w/40 oil for getting oil to bearings quickly, ease of cranking (not really a major issue as the old 3.1 would start on 5w/30 dino oil when it's -20*) and potential mileage increases as well as the extra bit of protection at temp.

Thanks to all who reply!

If your looking for one oil for both cars IMHO I would use 5 or 10W-30 and just buy whatever synthetic is on sale but 0w-40 would work. also possible do the first change in the 3.1 on dino

I am looking for one oil that would suit both... But if it comes down to it, I'll use two separate oils. The 3.1 will likely see at least 2 oil changes on dino juice before the switch. Are there any drawbacks to using the 0w/40?

we dont usually see the 3.1 engines with bad rings... Anyway i would use a good quality dino or synthetic if that makes you feel better but use 5w30 that is what those engines call for and that works great!

If you want a 0w-XX oil why not use 0w-30? Why do you want to run a 40 wt. oil? It doesn't get that hot in Iowa....

They weren't necessarily bad, but was torn down due a major intake gasket leak. I bought the whole car cheap to replace the existing 3.1(234K miles) with something with less miles. At first the plan was to clean it up and only replace gaskets, but one thing snowballed into another....

Originally Posted By: rewote500
If you want a 0w-XX oil why not use 0w-30? Why do you want to run a 40 wt. oil? It doesn't get that hot in Iowa....

LOL... I've seen it as high as 100+* in the summer and as low as -30* in the winter.

But seriously... That's why I asked here. I'm hear to learn and help when I can. I'm no stranger at all to things mechanical- in fact I've taken something that I used to do out of necessity and turned it into a career (again out of necessity). Sure, I can go with what the manual calls for, but what's the fun in that??? I see lots of people on this site using 0w oils and surely not every vehicle calls for it? Just looking for a possibly better combination.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the inside of the 3.1 for all those who love a good sludgy engine... Well, sorta. The antifreeze actually cleaned the sludge pretty well- it puddled up in the pan and some other nooks. The engine is mostly clean inside.

2010-03-191637091296x972.jpg
2010-03-191637491944x1452.jpg

The main culprit
2010-03-19163604864x656.jpg

[censored], I just realized I posted in the wrong spot! Is it possible to have this moved?

I had a 1996 Chevy Beretta with the 3100 V6 and I ran Mobil 1 10w-30 and Mobil 1 filters year-round in it. Nice running car till it sat for a year and I got the dreaded antifreeze into the oil like a lot of 3.1s. Cost me $400 at a small garage to have it fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back