Opinions: Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Symmetrical?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw these tires at my local Sam's Club at lunch today. They appear to be a decent tire. I thought I saw them for $52 each in my size (195/65R15), but that can't be right; Tire Rack has them for $74. They're not on Sam's website yet, but the store has about 7 or 8 sets on the shelf, so I think they may have just got them. In my size, they're rated 340-A-A with no tread life warranty.

I found mostly positive reviews of them on Tire Rack. I'm wondering if anyone's had them on a small car, and could comment on ride/noise? Looks like they'd be a pretty good value (especially at that $52 each, if that was the correct price) for a decent H-rated tire.

Incidentally, I think Sam's Club might be getting rid of some sizes of the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S. This tire is no longer listed on their site in my size, although the store still stocks it. I went looking there today to see if they had it on a closeout price (similar to the Bridgestone G009s they had about a year ago). No dice on the Pilots yet, not for cheap anyway. They have about 4 sets in stock still. My hunch is they may be replacing this Michelin with this Dunlop, for this size anyway. I didn't notice the Dunlop there in any other size (though they did have a few sizes of the SP60 and the Signature).

I think Sams might be clearing out some tires. They have the OEM Brigestones 687's for my Highlander discounted from 111 to 79 bucks. They are so terrible, I won't even consider them at that price but it's still good news since maybe they'll replace it with another tire in that size.

Sorry on the topic, though, never had them.

Sam's also apparently no longer stocks the Michelin X Radial in my size. I'm not sure why; the size is still listed on Michelin's website, and still shows up on Costco's and BJ's websites (the only other 2 places where this tire is sold).

I'm very curious about this Dunlop now. I'm looking to dismount/sell my Yokohama Avid TRZs and try something else. The TRZs still have plenty of tread (9/32"), but I just don't care for their balance of ride/comfort/noise/traction. They ride firm, and you feel the road plenty, but there doesn't seem to be a payback in traction. I'm also much less enamored with their wet traction now vs. when new.

The Dunlop SP Sports felt soft to the touch, and apparently have a ton of traction, according to various reports I've read. I also don't care about winter traction nor tread life. Might be fun to give these a run.

Called Sam's. Price was right: $52.88 each, or $292 for the set of four installed, out the door. Wow. Really intrigued now. She said they're not on the website yet; they just got them in last week.

Tire Rack has them at $74.something, and that's the unit price. Plus shipping, plus local install, etc.

The treadwear rating on them is 340. I'd expect no more than 35,000 miles. My driving is rather relaxed, but I will take a fast corner every now and then. Think 35k is reasonable to expect?

Also, what'd you think about ride comfort and noise? Comments seem suprisingly positive overall on those two counts.

Thanks!

I also found last night that this tire in my size (195/65R15) is the OEM tire for the 2009 Honda Civic DX-VP (and probably other configurations and model years close to that).

I checked these out in person tonight and Sam's and wasn't impressed up close. You could see where the tire was segmented together, and could actually feel it on the inside of the tire. On the outside, you could plainly see the joint lines, and the rubber even had a different sheen on either side of the joint line. They may run out smooth, but I didn't get a warm-fuzzy about 'em. The Michelin Pilot Exaltos right next to them were perfectly smooth all the way around.

(Methinks I'll end up with the Michelin Pilots in the end, after all of my other options are vetted.)

Have you looked at the General Altamax HP's

I purchased them las summer from TireRack, and feel they are excellent tire on my 2003 Ford Focus SE They are highly rated by TireRack users.

We had them on the Quantum Syncro wagon and twice had people wreck trying to pace us in the rain. My wife had some dbag tailgate her in some old p0s Regal in driving rain on a straitaway, he squirled out and clipped a telephone pole. I had some buttholes in a Mustang 5.0 follow me deep into a off-ramp, they smacked the concrete divider wall. So, yeah, they are good tires.

fwiw, when Team Bently Speed went into LeMans LMP 675 they did not have time for a wet tire programme, so they used off the shelf SP9000s and ran in pouring rain, finishing 3rd overall and a class win.

So, yeah.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Have you looked at the General Altamax HP's

Not yet. I may. Thanks for the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back