STP Gas treatment good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a 3pk of STP gas treatment and was wondering if its any good? It says to add it to every fill up but I want to know if any one has had any problems with it?

Return them for a refund (snake oil)...Instead get Redline SL-1 or Chrvron Techron. Those two are the best complete fuel system cleaners on the market.
RedLine SL-1

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Return them for a refund (snake oil)...Instead get Redline SL-1 or Chrvron Techron. Those two are the best complete fuel system cleaners on the market.
RedLine SL-1

So it has no cleaning power what so ever?

It isn't a cleaner.It's a fuel quality improver. My truck runs really good on it when I add a bottle before filling up. If you want a cleaner get a bottle of Gumout, Chevron Techron or Shell V-Power additive.

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: fujirio

So it has no cleaning power what so ever?

No, none

Not true. Maybe it's not the best FI cleaner out there, but it has some cleaning power....

Originally Posted By: Hemi426
It isn't a cleaner.It's a fuel quality improver. My truck runs really good on it when I add a bottle before filling up. If you want a cleaner get a bottle of Gumout, Chevron Techron or Shell V-Power additive.

So does it raise the octane level of the gas? And do you use it every fill up?

Last edited:
Not every fill-up. Just once in a while when I'm forced to get gas at an unfamiliar or discount brand station. It doesn't raise octane just improves the quality of gas.

SL-1 is where it's at!!

Amsoil PI is also a very good product. These products have the highest level of PEO. Redline SL-1 is also a Synthetic UCL

Last edited:
Not every fill-up. Just once in a while when I'm forced to get gas at an unfamiliar or discount brand station. It doesn't raise octane just improves the quality of gas.

How, exactly, does it raise the "quality" of the gas?

Honestly, I wouldn't bother with fuel additives unless I'm attempting to correct a specific problem (e.g. cleaning fuel injectors) that the product could address.

If one is concerned with fuel quality, it's probably better and cheaper in the long-run to primarily buy fuels from brand-name, "top tier" retailers (e.g. Chevron, Shell, 76, etc.) as opposed to the no-name brands, but all fuels sold in the US must meet federal (and in some cases, state) requirements for quality and additive levels.

I've always felt the stuff should be about 25 cents a bottle if it's needed every tank. Step up a notch to FI cleaner that's needed once an oil change maybe and then you see value. MMO at its light dosing is around 25c/tank.

I noticed an improved idle using "autoguard FI cleaner" that was $1 at dolla tree, but possibly only during that tank.

any one have any suggestions on how i can test this to see if it works? how can I know it improves gas or not? Any one know the ingredients to this product?

STP is the worst stuff I've ever dumped into a tank. 90% of the stuff is JP-8 Jet Fuel (kerosene!) and More sulphurised kerosene. There is about 30c worth of readily available junk spirits in the STP bottle. I use it for general parts cleaner. For mid priced stuff, the SHELL V-Power at WM works OK; when my spouse got a rotten tank this winter in the Forester it cleared a bad idle stumble within the tank emptying (coincidence?) I never tried the good stuff with PEA - I ususlly go get some Mobil Premium and let that do the trick.

Last edited:
If you just got a case of "water in the tank" it'll work to clear it up for you, but yea, it's not a good "cleaner".....it basically just "mixes better" with the gas to help burn off moisture.....if I recall reading on these forums.

I believe someone did a "home test" of the various gas treatments, with some common "fuel system" components, and STP actually messed up the "fuel strainer" in the gas tank.....can't remember how exactly, if it disintegrated it? Or what, but yea, he compared a bunch of different FI products, and STP was one that was supprisingly high on the list, for being harsh on the fuel system.....

That's my take too.....I actually won't use the STP product, but Dollar Tree sells some "Gas Treatment" for $1 + tax that is bottled by Warren Oil Co. (WPP? WP? Coastal?) that I keep in the trunk for an "emergency" if the off chance I get a bad tank of gas (none in the past 16 months though lol).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back