Clean Windshields

Status
Not open for further replies.
marcre: when was the last time you changed your cabin air filter; if applicable of course....

I had my interior detailed a while back and my windshield was still fogging up late at night when it's cold/humid air (in Florida...lol, so "cold" is really like 70oF). He told me to try my cabin air filter and then clean the windshield again, and it worked. My windows don't fog anymore. Must be contaminants in the filter or something?

My dealer told me to keep the AC switch on "Fresh Air" but that almost sounds like a defect, can't use the "recirc" mode without the windows fogging up? lol.

I'll see how long it lasts lol.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
marcre: when was the last time you changed your cabin air filter; if applicable of course....

I had my interior detailed a while back and my windshield was still fogging up late at night when it's cold/humid air (in Florida...lol, so "cold" is really like 70oF). He told me to try my cabin air filter and then clean the windshield again, and it worked. My windows don't fog anymore. Must be contaminants in the filter or something?

My dealer told me to keep the AC switch on "Fresh Air" but that almost sounds like a defect, can't use the "recirc" mode without the windows fogging up? lol.

I'll see how long it lasts lol.

I've never changed it. My lease is up in a month, but I'm going to purchase the vehicle. I'm going to wait for that and then change the cabin filter. I looked at it a few weeks ago and it is filthy.

My windows aren't necessarily fogging up, just streaky. It happens to me every time I clean them… On every car I've ever owned. Either my technique is bad or I don't do it enough. They were filthy and it has been a long time since I did them. I may need to try a different product, even though I've used many different products in the past.

Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave
With tinted windows, stay away from anything with ammonia in it. The ammonia will discolor the tint over time. Some alcohol will loosen the adhesive. I just use a spray bottle with a little Unger Easy glide and a microfiber towel to clean my tinted windows.

If you use the easy glide with Peak or Rain-x windshield washer fluid works great. The easy glide will last a long time. The rain-x stuff costs more than the standard blue windshield washer fluid, but it does help bead off a light rain and in florida, helps keep the love bugs off.
Dave
How much EG do I put in the spray bottle? I can't really leave a bucket of this sitting around. I'm going to leave out the dish soap as it left smears all over the glass. I ended up cleaning them off with some Sprayway and Turtle Wax branded glass cleaner.Based on the price for the bottle of UEG I want to use it as much as possible, but want to be able to use it safely on tint.

Couldn't find the easy glide at my friendly neighborhood Home Depot nor any other store. So ordered it on line.
What with the shipping cost, ordered a couple of bottles.

So if I run in to anybody till it arrives, ya know cause my windshield was dirty, lol.

4 capfuls of EG per gallon. I use cheap store brand bottled water that has been de-ionized (it should state on the label). Then I pour it into the spray bottle. The gallon will last a while and it will not break down (although I have never tested it, as I go through a gallon every few weeks). I use EG to clean the house windows (4 dogs that like to look out the front windows, with wet noses, make a mess).

If you just want to use the spray bottle, I think a capful will work fine. If you go over, it should not be a big deal.

Dave

Last edited:
Ike, I tried that too. Granted, a new windshield is great (safelite to the resue! lol) - it will only stay clean for so long :)

The "invisible glass" wand deal-io works pretty good too, it's like triangle shaped, you spray down the windshield, and since it has rounded points, it can get in all the corners good :)

My easy glide arrived last week. That and Dawn did a great job.
Will use the spray bottle method along with the squeegee instead of the bucket next time.

Originally Posted By: C4Dave
I've always use a chamois and clean water. Doesn't leave streaks, and gets the glass really clean.

By clean water, do you mean filtered or de-ionized? Standard tap water has a bunch of "stuff" in it. I just go to the local supermarket and buy de-ionized drinking water. That and a touch of soap works great, cheap, but does require a little manual labor.

Dave

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
This is going to my favorites so I can try it when/if it gets warm here.

And now the stuff I bought (Ultra Glide) is going in the trash. All it did was leave streaks and smears when I tried you wipe the glass of droplets.

This is going to my favorites so I can try it when/if it gets warm here.

And now the stuff I bought (Ultra Glide) is going in the trash. All it did was leave streaks and smears when I tried you wipe the glass of droplets.

What were you using to wipe off the EZ? It is designed for squeeges. If you wipe it off like conventional glass cleaner, it will leave streaks.

Worst case, pour some in the washer fluid. It works pretty good with with wiper blades.

Sorry you did not have good luck with it.
Dave

I used a microfiber cloth. I may try a capful with the rest water, but I think it will be going in the trash anyway.

I used a microfiber cloth. I may try a capful with the rest water, but I think it will be going in the trash anyway.

Don't chunk it... Try some in the washer fluid. I use it a lot on the house windows and vehicles, but then, i have a "mop" and squeegees to clean 'em.

A few capfuls in the washer fluid will work okay with water and or commercial washer fluid. Gets the bugs off and the wipers won't squeal (unless they are shot).

To use the EZ on windows, you really need to use a squeege to clean/dry the windows. Spray on window with sprayer, then use cheapo (ace brand) sqeegee. It should not streak. Use the microfiber towel to clean the runs and squeegee blade.

dave

Back in the day my mom would use vinegar and water and newspaper to clean windows and glass around the house. Not sure if you want vinegar smell in your car though, but it sure did clean the windows.

I use Stonors Invisible Glass wipes to do the cleaning and chase that with a microfibre cloth or a cloth specifically for cleaning glass.

I find that if you just clean with glass wipes, Windex and paper towel, etc., that you still can get streaks. I've found that using a microfibre cloth after your favourite glass cleaning product takes care of any streaks.

Don't even bother trying to clean your windshield or windows if the vehicle is out in direct sun. You're guaranteed to get streaks.

Anyone ever clean a windshield with over 700,000 miles on it? I have, a number of times (FREIGHTLINER trucks assigned to me).

1] Do a basic wash job (soapy water, etc)

2] Get some diluted, buffered acid (MARYKATE CLEAN&SHINE for anodized aluminum; from WEST MARINE). Spray vehicle with water, all over.

3] Use #0000 steel wool and go to town paying close attention to rubber seals and corners where dirt/bug residue is nearly permanent. Use inside as you dare.

4] Use more of that soapy cleaner.

5] Apply some type of rain repellent and re-apply quite regularly; I did it every 2,000-miles or one week whichever came first.

6] I actually used dilute muriatic acid, but I won't recommend that to you. I used the above on my other 100k+ vehicle (and house, trailer, etc) with great results.

STONER aerosol from then on (after car wash), and finish off with chamois.

Originally Posted By: kkreit01
Originally Posted By: JT1
I LOVE my stoners invisible glass. Sorry One step for invisibility is too easy.

That's what I was going to say...."or you can go to Walmart to buy Stoner IG for $4"..."Carquest to buy DG Rain Repel Glass Cleaner for $7 (exterior)."

But I also like DIY. Thanks for the tips on the products. I think I will try some Easy Glide in my washer fluids. Seems like a good idea.

Stoner Invisable glass cleaner can be used on the inside of the windshield?
Thanks

I use an AC Delco aerosol glass cleaner can.. Stuff works great.(foams)

I do not use it on tint though, for that I just use simple green tint friendly.

I couldn't find Easy Glide, would Astroglide work as well?

That's a joke, people.

I cast another vote for Stoner and newspapers. I don't mind washing the ink off my hands afterwards. It just works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back