Shell 87 vs. Chevron 87

Status
Not open for further replies.
Discuss.

Any noticeable difference? One has Techron obviously, but the other is nitrogen-enriched?

Shell owned Chevron at one time. IIRC I read years ago that Shell took the Techron additive and improved it for the first installment of "V-power." I think the new nitrogen stuff is just some more improvements.

Either one is top tier and should do well. I would pick Shell if they were side by side on the street.

Fuel likely came from the same refinery. Tanker driver just dumps in a different jug of addative when he delivers to the station. No difference IMO

Shell and Chevron are the only 2 gasoline stations I use. I cannot tell a difference; they are both good.

My daily driver is a 1998 F150 extended cab V6 5 speed with 249,000 miles. I can easily drive 1000 miles a week between work and pleasure. As further background info, I did have the injectors cleaned in late fall and have run MMO or decent fuel system cleaners in most fill ups since then, accept when I am testing brands as referenced below.

I've tested several of the major fuel brands in multiple tank fulls to see what works best for me. For my particular vehicle:

1. Phillips 66 87 - no pinging
2. Shell 87 - close second - light pinging at times
3. Chevron 87 - close third - light pining at times

If I use Valero or Exxon the engine even sounds different when it first starts, meaning my truck does not seem to like it. Truck had a full tune when the injectors were cleaned, has an Airaid intake and Flowmaster dual exhaust. When I do get any pinging as noted above it is under heavy load in 3rd gear only.

No difference in fuel mileage in any major brand for my truck that I can detect. Still [censored] with around 13.6 city and 15.6 all highway. Either of your choices should be great for any vehicle that requires 87 octane.

On my 93 Ranger 4.0L, I have to run 91 octane shell to prevent pinging. on shell 87 it's very noticable.
With any other gasoline, even Arco, it's fine on 87.
Motor has Motorcraft OE double platnum fine wire plugs.
Gas additive added twice during oil run.
I've never had good results with shell gas. I know it's not the gas, but the addtive package.
I've always noticed shell gas is ALWAYS higher than the other name brand gasolines.
So to me. why pay more for getting less?
Where I live, gas comes from the same place.. just depends on the additve they put in when they fill it.
Techron used to be ONLY in the 92 octane fuel, now it's in all blends of chevron gas.
I tell people you get more techron out of the bottle vs. a tank of fuel.
Sorry shell... lower your prices.

I doubt it is nitrogen, or N2 enriched. I'd bet it has PEA in there, and amines are nitrogen groups, thus nitrogen enriched, just like the PEA in techron...

I can't get either here; so I don't care.
55.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: beast3300
Shell owned Chevron at one time. IIRC I read years ago that Shell took the Techron additive and improved it for the first installment of "V-power." I think the new nitrogen stuff is just some more improvements.

Either one is top tier and should do well. I would pick Shell if they were side by side on the street.

Shell never owned Chevron.

No Shell stations near me, but I do run Chevron a lot. Sometimes I stop and get cheap RaceTrac gas, truck runs okay on RT, but Idles smoother on Chevron. Only a penny cheaper at the RT. Both stations have a high turnover on gas, as the pumps are busy.

The Chevron seems to have less Ethanol. In FL, up to 10% is the norm. I get about 30-40 miles a tankful more on Chevron. There is a Texaco near me, but his gas is .10 more than anyone else. I understand that some Tex's have Techron.

Dave

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Shell owned Chevron at one time.

Nah. Chevron used to be called the Standard Oil Company of California, which came out of the 1911 breakup of the Standard Oil trust.

Shell Oil Company has always been a subsidiary of Royal Dutch Shell of The Hague and London.

Chevron bought Texaco a few years ago, but before that Shell and Texaco had joint ventures to share refining.

Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave
I understand that some Tex's have Techron.

They all do, Texaco is Chevron.

I prefer Chevron, but have never had anything but good results with Shell and use both quite a bit. In fact, these are the only two brands of gas I normally put in my vehicles.

I always use Shell because that's the best available here. If I could use Chevron I would. I think the 2 brands are about equal.

I buy cheapest gas whenever I need to fill up, except Arco because they do not accept credit cards and Citgo for personal reason, because I never feel any difference between brands, but if Shell and Chevron are the same price then I would pick Chevron.

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: Deltona_Dave
I understand that some Tex's have Techron.

They all do, Texaco is Chevron.

Ahh, I learn something new everyday. So many companies are merging, I can't keep'em all straight.

Thanks for clarifying.
Dave

Chevron around here is pretty good about keeping 100% gasoline in their tanks for a few more cents than e10 at the cheapest place.

Just filled up today with Chevron 87. Put 9 gallons into a 13 gallon tank. The remaining 4 gallons is mostly Costco 91.

Difference? Car is definitely lacking the throttle response that it had with Costco 91.

I am starting to think that the Costco 91 must have had an abnormally high amount of ethanol in it, causing an octane boost. The car simply ran phenomenal with 91 compared to 87, now that I think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back