2-stroke oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2-stroke owners:

Here's your chance, what oil do you use in your 2-stroke motorcycles. I realize that these are getting a little scarce, but worth discussing.

My daughter rides a KX100 and I use Maxima Super-M Premix 2-stroke oil in it. It doesn't use much and I hate rebuilding cranks. I mix at 40:1

I like the Yamalube 2R. I have had great luck with it, Mixed at 40:1. Engines at tear down have looked the best. Better than even Belray. Of course I have been away from it for awhile. But I still use the 2R and still have good luck with it.

Well, I use a lot of 2-stroke oil in outboards and I've usually purchased whatever is cheapest, and I can't say I've ever noticed a difference between WalMart stuff and the name brands from Mercury and others. Right now my 2-stroke of choice is the SuperTech in the gallon bottles.

Originally Posted By: Zedhed
2-stroke owners:

Here's your chance, what oil do you use in your 2-stroke motorcycles. I realize that these are getting a little scarce, but worth discussing.

My daughter rides a KX100 and I use Maxima Super-M Premix 2-stroke oil in it. It doesn't use much and I hate rebuilding cranks. I mix at 40:1

For your application, the product you are using is hard to beat.

Klotz Techniplate TCW for bikes with injection lube.

For premix race bikes, Klotz supertechniplate (SAE 50, 20% castor) at 30:1. Sometimes Maxima 927. Sometimes Castrol A747. Sometimes a little Blendzall Gold Lable for a little more power with premix or injection motors.

The lawn and garden equipment gets the left over race gas / Klotz pre-mix. Makes the neighborhood smell like a MX track!

32.gif

Johnny- I like the new avatar.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: sunruh
40:1 is not enough oil on that kx100.

the brand is great. the ratio is not.

32:1 ?

Id say the ratio depends more on the oil than the bike. I had a KX125 when I was 15 that I would rag the snot out of with Belray ar 50:1. Spectro was another oil in its day that had a high ratio. Ive run alot of high performance two strokes on 40:1 Yamalube 2R(not to be confused with the non-racing Yamalubes) and Ive never had any crank issues, plug fouling or piston scuffing. Too rich will clog up the power valves in the new two strokes. If anything, I would run the 40:1 with a ounce per gallon of Marvel mystery oil. That 32:1 sticker on the back fender doesnt mean alot, that is for any oil, where quality might be a issue. 32:1 is on the safe side. Its usually the bigger the motor the more oil. Most 500s and 490s like 32:1 for a miniunum because of the size of the crank and more oil is needed, plus on the older ones, power valves arent a issue.

In a 2-stroke scooter : Yamalube 2S (injector oil)

Everything else : Poulan Pro Synthetic 40:1

Both with a little MMO in the gas.

Last edited:
i have long since lost the pages, but a test was conducted on 2smoke oil in the gas to see how long it last inside the crankcase.
they used irradiated oil. 40:1 was very short. under half a sec. 32:1 was barely under 2secs and 20:1 was over 10.
these are example numbers and not the facts, but shows how drastic the change was.

when you get into the 50,65,85,100cc motors they ring the pizz out of them. 32:1 is the worst i would go. might suggest 20:1 if she actually races.

She races -- maybe that's why I have to rebuild the crank every 2 yrs? I thought it was the extra high compression and aviation fuel we use.

Mobil MX2T, 32:1. Nothing better. Rock Oil Synthesis 2 is a close second. That KX-100 will wake up some if you substitute a KX-125 silencer core for the stocker. For short tracks, lop a little off of the silencer length. About 2" should do it. I don't like AvGas for MX use. Especially if your KX is stock. VP Ultimate 2 is a great race fuel for stock to mildly tweaked. If you feel like you need lead, I opt for C12 over any AvGas.

Last edited:
Mobil-1 Racing 2T. I bought up a bunch when it was discontinued, I'm down to 22 quarts. Use it in all my 2 strokes.

When I had my '99 CR250, I was running Redline 2stroke racing oil at first @ 40:1. Spooged, absorbed water into my premix, corroded my carb jets, water in my float bowl, etc.
Switched to Honda HP2 at 32:1, no more issues. Crisp and clean running, felt like a different bike.

There are lots of great oils out there, pick your favorite and run it. I would run 32:1 or more on the oil in that bike.

Good read indeed.

I wonder if the author is changing the jets when he changes the oil to fuel ratio? I'm not certain where the threshold would be for fuel/oil ratio to effect a jetting change. Generally, the more oil in the fuel, the leaner the air/fuel mix will be.

Here's a piece of an interesting article that I read. It helps explain the oil/fuel lean condition:

"Enter 2 stroke oil
Okay, now that you think that all that matters is adjusting the fuel to be proportional to the air going into the engine, 2 stroke oil adds another issue that directly affects the air to fuel ratio.

I want you to imagine an empty bucket, with a permanently sealed 1 liter plastic bottle inside filled to the top with fuel. The bucket represents the total air volume possible in a given situation. The sealed bottle inside represents the amount of fuel needed to achieve a good air to fuel ratio (stoichiometric ratio). When we introduce 2 stroke oil, it doesn't affect the air volume, it affects the fuel volume.

You might be asking "why is the fuel bottle sealed"? A sealed bottle has a limit to its capacity. The orifice of the jets are a set size, therefore there's a limit to that jet size's capacity to provide fuel. When you replace a smaller jet with a bigger jet, what's happening is that you're replacing that old sealed bottle with one that is larger. The empty bucket doesn't change.

When you add 2 stroke oil, it goes into that sealed plastic bottle, so naturally since there's only so much liquid that can fit in that bottle, by adding oil some of the fuel has to get dumped to make room for that oil. Therefore, for those who use richer oil to fuel ratios (32:1 is a richer oil to fuel ratio than 50:1), you're displacing more of that fuel with oil. Now in relation to the bucket, you have less fuel to the same amount of air because the oil took some of that fuel away.

>>> !!! PROBLEM !!! Now we have a bottle that has less fuel that we need because some of the fuel got replaced with oil, this is a lean condition, what am I supposed to do? How can I replace the lost fuel and keep the amount of oil I intend on using?

So what can we do?
Let's just say for the sake of this example that 20% of that plastic bottle is oil, the other 80% is fuel. The total ratio requires 100% fuel to achieve stoichiometric ratio. There's no more room for fuel in that bottle, so what we need is a larger bottle that'll allow us to restore that 20% of fuel we lost. Using a larger jet or moving the needle clip down will accomplish this. By using larger jets, you increase the capacity, just like how it would by using a larger bottle. This is why a bike that uses more oil will tend to use larger jets than one that uses a lot less oil.

All things being the same (assuming using the same engine and oil), a bike jetted for 50:1 will definitely be using smaller jets than one using 20:1 oil to fuel ratio. "

I've spent quite a bit of time on two strokes both stock and heavily modified (raised compression and ported)and have tried lots of different oils and klotz was my least favorite...My favorite has always been Mobil MX2T...Honda HP2 and Yamalube were actually pretty good but my favorite is definitely MX2T and coincidently it's also costs the least.

I've always run it at 32:1....If you're getting lots oil residue near the tailpipe the A/F ratio is likely too rich...Just play with the jetting a little and lean it in one step leaner increments...Needle and main jet will cover the largest portion of the rpm range...When a two stroke is jetted right it'll run very well and burn fairly clean...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back