Tire Installation with TPMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the market for new tires. Is it common to charge $10 each tire to install, simply because it has TPMS?

Just when I thought it was going to be $16.50 ($14.50 + $2 disposal fee), I came across the TPMS fee on the company's website.

Is this common (this is my first TPMS vehicle)? I'm looking to get my tires online, likely from treadepot.com. Where have you found the best deals on tire mounting?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

I have noticed that Wally charges $20 per vehicle for TPMS relearn. Now if in installing new tires, relearn is neccessary, then I guess they charge for it. Don't know if its required for all installations, maybe if the wheel is put on a different hub.
21.gif

http://www.walmart.com/cp/Tires-Services/495845

Discount Tire did not charge more to install new tires on my sons TPMS eqiupped Explorer. Of course, he bought the tires at DT.

Sometimes buying from web is cheaper, but the local tire shops seem to inflate the prices for balance and TPMS when you don't buy their tires.
Some local "discount" stores advertise low price, but they also have "add-on" charges.

Example from "Tirerack". Michelin Tire is $120 + shipping, and recommended tire installer:
Vehicles Serviced Mounting & Balancing (per tire) Additional Services:
Balance 50-55 Series $38.95. Rubber Valve Stems $2.50 Disposal Fee $2.50, TPMS Service $3.50

Tirerack total price with shipping and local install would have been $765.00.

Best price (in Connecticut) is from a tire dealer that only sells tires.
Local tire deal charged $135 each, free install, no add-on charges, including TPMS reset (yes, 1999 Olds has TPMS)
Total local (Pete's Tire) store price, $540 ( Actual total cost was $380 with Michelin $60 rebate, Discover card $100 cash back )

-----------------------------

1999 Olds GLS

"Lug Nut Installation (per lug nut)" in the Walmart list is a funny description. I am guessing that refers to replacing a missing lug nut.

The justification for charging extra for TPMS may be to account for the extra care required in changing tires and the possibility of damage that they might have to pay for.

I expect that in the future many tire sellers will require a TPMS rebuild with a new tire install. It will be revenue enhancement with safety as a stated reason.

http://www.tirereview.com/Article/59426/...ottom_line.aspx says
Quote:
Chris Oxner, mechanical quality assurance coordinator with Sullivan Tire, agrees with Wacker’s approach. “We address things right from the start,” Oxner said. “Our counter sales personnel are trained to educate the customer as soon as they come in. The customer is told of the value of replacing some TPMS components before replacement gets costly. Then, when we pull a tire with a TPMS, we’re rebuilding the sensors when appropriate and replacing the grommet, valve core and cap.”

Oxner added, “Here in New England we run into a lot of corrosion. Aluminum caps corrode very easily in this climate. If we take care of the grommet, core and cap before problems come up, then we’re saving the customer money and possible headaches because of potential leaks.”

Many TPMS systems do not require a relearn or reinitialization after a tire replacement. However, I would still consult your factory service manual.

My personal experience with TPMS is that I have had leakage issues with the sensors. Both of my friend's cars, which are 2006 and 2007 model year vehicles, had leaking TPMS seals. One car had 27,000 miles and the other had about 68,000 miles. Of course, both cars were likely always parked outside, which may have contributed to the problem.

My recommendation is that any TPMS equipped vehicle should be receive a TPMS component rebuild kit (washer, core, seal, cap) with EVERY tire replacement. And this is based on the limited experience I have with TPMS, so YMMV.

Originally Posted By: carwreck
Local tire deal charged $135 each, free install, no add-on charges, including TPMS reset (yes, 1999 Olds has TPMS)

you shouldn't have any sensors,those cars used the wheel speed sensors to see a decrease in tire size as they lose pressure,i believe its refered to as indirect TPMS

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Many TPMS systems do not require a relearn or reinitialization after a tire replacement. However, I would still consult your factory service manual.

My recommendation is that any TPMS equipped vehicle should be receive a TPMS component rebuild kit (washer, core, seal, cap) with EVERY tire replacement. And this is based on the limited experience I have with TPMS, so YMMV.
your correct on both counts,if you install the rim with the new tire in the same location you removed it from then no relearn is needed, also the rebuild kits are recommended just like valve stems but most people don't want to pay the added expense.

That is incorrect. As he stated, MANY cars do not require anything special.

As an example, LX/LC models of Chrysler. You may do whatever you want and the car will relearn itself.

Treadepot is money.Get your best price shoot them an email,and they will beat it.They wont give you the instant rebate on a price match,but your still getting the best price.They beat tirerack by $30 for me.Sams club destroyed a tpms sensor on my moms suburban,which cost them $700.I believe the added fee's are just to cover their mistakes.Nitrogen will fix corrosion issues with the tpms inside the tire.

The "TPMS Relearn" is only necessary if you have a "TPMS" light illuminated on your dashboard control panel.

when I had my blow out, my vehicle's control panel at first only had the "low pressure" (tire icon with the ! symbol) icon, but when I mounted the donut, after driving my TPMS light came on and WM told me they had to charge me to reset the TPMS, apparantly something happened and they had to replace the TPMS sensor to shut the TPMS light off.

Originally Posted By: babyhuey
Treadepot is money.Get your best price shoot them an email,and they will beat it.They wont give you the instant rebate on a price match,but your still getting the best price.They beat tirerack by $30 for me.Sams club destroyed a tpms sensor on my moms suburban,which cost them $700.I believe the added fee's are just to cover their mistakes.Nitrogen will fix corrosion issues with the tpms inside the tire.

$700 for one sensor? For reals?

FYI-Not all TPMS units are in the valve stems, FORD (I own an 08 F150)has one that is mounted to the wheel with a giant steel band. I would have preferred the valve stem type. I went thru the process of moving the sensors from the stock wheels to aftermarket wheels and it is quite an ordeal just to have that irritating buzzer not come on. I did not pay anyone and it still cost a considerable amount to do the transfer.

My best deal tire mounting is buying from local independents (my case was free). Cheaper than buying from online. Like others said,tire retail needs to make money if they are not from selling tires.

My advice is call around. The worst is when you get a bum tire online and then have to go through the procedure to have it corrected and proven not the vehicle but tire itself. I only recommend online purchasing if you are purchasing the wheel/tire combination already mounted so only procedure left is bolting to vehicle.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back