Complete Coolant Drain 2005 4.6 F-150

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
I bought this used 2005 F-150 4.6L and Jiffy Lube changed the coolant to what I think is conventional green. Anyway, did a drain on the radiator today and only got about 6 quarts out of a 20 quart system. Normally this would satisfy me, but I really want to get all of the old stuff out. There is what appears to be a block drain right below one of the freeze plugs. Is it safe to remove this? If so, will this completely drain the cooling system? Is there anything I need to know when I reinstall it to ensure it doesn't leak? Teflon tape or replacing the plug all together?

0404001829a.jpg

Sure, drain the block.
Seal the threads when you replace the bolts.
But it is best at this point to flush it with water.
Now you know all the old coolant is out!

Yeah, thats how I flushed mine a bit more thoroughly. I say a bit more because the passenger side drain on mine was inside the engine mount and I didnt see any way of getting to it.

I'm personally a bit wary of removing the drain plugs on the block...had a bad experience in the past. I just place a large enough container underneath the radiator, remove the upper radiator hose, start the engine (warm), run the heater and feed distilled water until it runs clean. After that, I drain the radiator, add the proper amount of coolant to achieve a 50/50 mix and top up with distilled water if necessary.

What I do:

1) drain as much coolant out as possible through the rad. drain and pulling the lower rad. hose. make sure the heater is on.

2)refill with water and run the engine to circulate the water. the coolant needs to be warm to open the thermostat for circulation. ***be careful***

3)repeat step 1) and 2) a few times until the water coming out is clear.

4) fill with whatever coolant flavor (GO5) and ratio (50/50) of choice.

The small amount of water left in the engine is not going to dilute the coolant much. Coolant to water ratio is not an exact science. A tiny amount of green coolant residue is not going to foul the new GO5 coolant.

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Threads pulled out?

Exactly. It was on a '99 Maxima that never had the block drained. Being exposed to Scottish winters and road salt, I had to force it out and pulled the threads in the process.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Threads pulled out?

Exactly. It was on a '99 Maxima that never had the block drained. Being exposed to Scottish winters and road salt, I had to force it out and pulled the threads in the process.
33.gif

Meh, if it has never been serviced that kind of stuff is to be expected. On a relatively new vehicle it shouldnt be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back