Toyota T-IV ATF Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wilhelm_D
All of the major additive manufacturers have developed a "universal" package for highly friction modified ATFs, and so increasingly the ATF folks are skipping the certification to OEM specs and simply listing all the fluids that their product can replace.

I personally have used the Mobil 1 and Red Line D4 and if there is any issue with either I have not found it. The only difference between the pre-change and post-change is very slightly better performance at extremely low temperatures, which is just what you would expect when you lower the cold weather viscosity by replacing an OEM fluid with a synthetic.

Interesting. Thanks.

Being in Arizona, I don't think the performance at extremely low temperatures will ever be a problem. :)

I'll keep the Mobil stuff on the list.

Originally Posted By: 38sho
man you need to use some common sense and think for yourself

Indeed.

Common sense would seem to suggest to me that a good place to start when considering maintenance intervals for a specific vehicle is the vehicle's owners/service manual, followed by the manufacturer's website, followed by a third-party service manual. All but the Haynes manual say it's a lifetime fill and make no mention of ever changing the inline filter. The Haynes manual says do a drain-and-fill every 60,000 miles. There's no mention of flushing at 30,000 intervals.

I'm certainly willing to get alternative suggestions (which is why I'm here!), but I like having some facts to back up a suggestion that is so significantly different from what is in the manufacturer's various manuals -- again, one of the reasons I'm going to send a sample for a UOA at 60,000 miles.

Think of it like oil changes: many manufacturers recommend OCIs in the 5,000-7,5000 mile range with modern oils and engines, yet there's not a small number of people who insist on changing every 3,000 miles. Will changing the oil more frequently cause damage or any other problem? Certainly not. However, it's unnecessary, wasteful, and the cost adds up. Same sort of thing here -- Toyota says "lifetime under normal driving" while Haynes says "fluid change every 60,000 miles" vs. "fluid change ever 30,000 miles" and "full transmission flush every 30,000 miles". While I doubt the latter would be harmful in any way, I'm not exactly convinced that it's necessary.

Quote:
I would change this fluid and filter as often as its cost effective for you. This is still transmission fluid, its still a transmission that works like 90% of them on the road, I would personally be doing mine every 30,000 miles. My family runs a transmission shop, and I worked there for a few years, you would be suprised whats inside those pans at those mileage intervals and how dirty the fluid can get on T-IV cars.... i've seen them BLACK at 40k on numerous different types of Toyotas

Fair enough. As I've mentioned above, the fluid is still just as red as the brand-new T-IV in my fiancee's RAV4. It smells exactly the same as the new fluid, and there's no other indicator (short of a UOA, which I mentioned I'd do when I change some of the fluid at 60,000 miles) that the fluid is stressed, worn, or otherwise indicative of any problem. If it was black, I'd definitely take it into a shop (perhaps one like your family's shop, as I prefer small, independent shops) to have it checked out, as it definitely shouldn't have been doing that. Fortunately, my transmission doesn't seem to be too mean to the fluid.
55.gif

I called the second dealer here in Tucson and they sell the T-IV for about $5/qt, which is not an unreasonable price and compares favorably to the SuperTech Dexron-VI/T-IV fluid in terms of price. I may use that when I change the fluid, as it's exactly what's called for and reasonably priced.

Thanks to all who responded! In the future, I now have a short list of alternatives to "genuine" T-IV if the need arises.

I've used T-IV and Amsoil in my 1ZZ Vibe, and it currently has 140k miles on it. I kinda go back and forth with what I use just because I had it on hand. I drain and fill every 30k miles, or close to it.

I'm thinking of trying Vavloline Max life because it's cheaper, more availible, I'm out of T-IV and Amsoil, and many here say it's a good fluid. :)

The way I look at it is that it absolutely can't hurt a thing to change the fluid out early, and trannies are expensive to repair/replace so it seems like money well spent to me. I don't believe in pushing ANY fluid to it's uncle point before I change it, but especially ATF fluid.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

The way I look at it is that it absolutely can't hurt a thing to change the fluid out early, and trannies are expensive to repair/replace so it seems like money well spent to me. I don't believe in pushing ANY fluid to it's uncle point before I change it, but especially ATF fluid.

Very well said !
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: heypete

Fair enough. As I've mentioned above, the fluid is still just as red as the brand-new T-IV in my fiancee's RAV4. It smells exactly the same as the new fluid, and there's no other indicator (short of a UOA, which I mentioned I'd do when I change some of the fluid at 60,000 miles) that the fluid is stressed, worn, or otherwise indicative of any problem. If it was black, I'd definitely take it into a shop (perhaps one like your family's shop, as I prefer small, independent shops) to have it checked out, as it definitely shouldn't have been doing that. Fortunately, my transmission doesn't seem to be too mean to the fluid.
55.gif

I called the second dealer here in Tucson and they sell the T-IV for about $5/qt, which is not an unreasonable price and compares favorably to the SuperTech Dexron-VI/T-IV fluid in terms of price. I may use that when I change the fluid, as it's exactly what's called for and reasonably priced.

Thanks to all who responded! In the future, I now have a short list of alternatives to "genuine" T-IV if the need arises.

hey man,if it still looks alright don't change it if you don't feel comfortable doing it. I agree with the other guys, don't wait until its too late, are you the type of person to wait until your air filter is caked in dirt, sucked in from lack of airflow, or damaged from water intrusion before you replace it? or do you change it more often then that?

some of us take comfort in knowing we have proper working new stuff in our cars..... some like running the proper stuff as long as possible just because the manufactuer said it would be okay to do so....(did the manufactuer test your actual transmission thats in your car in the real world conditions you drive it before giving that recommendation?) the answer to that is [censored] no, thats why I don't live my life according to a user manual....

Last edited:
I see no mention here about the internal differential inside the transmission? If i'm not mistaken, the 2006 camry has a shared differential which would also require service NOW. Most folks and trans shops don't think to service the diff when they do the trans.

Maybe your haynes manual can enlighten this for you?

Anyway....IMO you've waited too long to do the trans service, but in your situation i think you'll be just fine. To be honest with you, it's hard to beleive the trans fluid is not black ( from my experiences anyway). Just did my daughter's trans service on her Scion TC ( same drivetrain as your camry )at 24k miles running WS fluid, and it was almost blackish in color. BTW....a drain and fill will be 4 quarts, which is quite a bit for a small sump.

Amsoil ATF, Redline D-4 is my top choices but you're against mail order stuff, which i don't fully understand. Search a little here, and you'll find the Amsoil to do very well in T-IV applications. I don't beleive the Toyota T-IV fluid to be any better than the other suitable fluids, and i surely wouldn't pay more for it.

Kudos to you for at least realizing the fact that you need to do something here, and take care of your ride. Better than most people, who don't even care.

I started using M1 ATF when it first came out in the early 90s and I have never had a tranny or PS pump failure with it to date.
I have it in my Fusion and the tranny shifts great, up and down, and it calls for FRN 5 fluid. The Focus shifts great as well.
I change it every 40K and the fluid always looks fine.

I used Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle (meets T-IV) in my '04 Sienna with great results. I'm getting ready to change it again.

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas
I see no mention here about the internal differential inside the transmission? If i'm not mistaken, the 2006 camry has a shared differential which would also require service NOW. Most folks and trans shops don't think to service the diff when they do the trans.

Maybe your haynes manual can enlighten this for you?

It does have the internal differential which shares fluid with the transmission. There isn't a separate drain plug for the differential.

Quote:
Anyway....IMO you've waited too long to do the trans service, but in your situation i think you'll be just fine. To be honest with you, it's hard to beleive the trans fluid is not black ( from my experiences anyway). Just did my daughter's trans service on her Scion TC ( same drivetrain as your camry )at 24k miles running WS fluid, and it was almost blackish in color. BTW....a drain and fill will be 4 quarts, which is quite a bit for a small sump.

I changed the fluid with Toyota T-IV a week or so ago. The fluid that came out was still bright red, but was a bit "hazy" rather than "clear", as the new fluid was. Not black at all. Due to time constraints, I didn't get a chance to drop the pan to clean the strainer or magnets. I'll do that at 100,000 miles -- the Haynes manual says it's not really needed every time.

Both the old and new fluid had the same, unusual "cherry-like" smell. Rather weird.

I got a little bit more than three and a half quarts of fluid out of the transmission, replaced the plug, torqued to spec, and refilled. So far, it's running just fine. No real difference noted on Ye Olde Butt Dyno, but I wasn't expecting any.

Unfortunately, the only container I had available to store the used fluid was an empty windshield washer fluid container. It turns out it had some dregs of fluid at the bottom, and so likely has contaminated the used ATF, which would likely throw off a UOA.

Also, any particular reason why you think I waited too long? Several people have mentioned that already, but as I've mentioned, I can't find any basis for changing it sooner than lifetime/50,000 miles in the Toyota owner's or service manuals or the Haynes manual, respectively, particularly when I regularly check the fluid level, color, and smell (for what good that does me). That said, "lifetime" seems a bit much, and I feel quite a bit better sticking to the Haynes manual recommendations than keeping the same stuff swirling around for "life".

Quote:
Amsoil ATF, Redline D-4 is my top choices but you're against mail order stuff, which i don't fully understand.

Nothing against Amsoil or Redline, I just like having stuff available locally in case the urge to tinker suddenly overwhelms me. :)

Quote:
Search a little here, and you'll find the Amsoil to do very well in T-IV applications. I don't beleive the Toyota T-IV fluid to be any better than the other suitable fluids, and i surely wouldn't pay more for it.

Indeed? Fortunately, the local Toyota dealer was selling the T-IV for about $5/quart, which was not an unreasonable price.

Quote:
Kudos to you for at least realizing the fact that you need to do something here, and take care of your ride. Better than most people, who don't even care.

I've seen some people who don't take care of their cars, even neglecting the intervals specified in their manual. At least one of my friends wondered why I was bothering to wax my car's finish. Naturally, her 1992 Accord had terribly sunburnt paint; the sun in Arizona'll do that.

Originally Posted By: tig1
I started using M1 ATF when it first came out in the early 90s and I have never had a tranny or PS pump failure with it to date.

Good to know. I may use the M1 ATF the next time around. It seems like good stuff.

Also good to know it's suitable for power steering purposes; I swapped out the factory power steering fluid with M1 ATF last night (siphon out reservoir, fill with M1 ATF, start engine, run wheels lock-to-lock several times, stop engine, repeat several times until fluid coming out of the siphon looks just like the ATF going in) as I didn't want to neglect that oft-overlooked fluid either. I trust the M1 is up to snuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back