Current Briggs & Stratton small engines any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my experience is only with the old side valve briggs but are some of the best IMO. I would go out of my way to get a briggs.

The only time I ran in to carb trouble was if a previous owner had messed with the carb, or I would forget to put fuel stabilizer in the gas.

Another problem is people not changing the oil, had 2 engines punch holes in the block. Found out the previous owner never changed the oil.

I worked on a Robin blower last year. About the same quality as a Poulan. It was about 3 years old and was completely worn out from just homeowner use. No Robin small engines yet. Maybe that means they're quality or it might mean that, because they're so cheap (the ones off the internet for mini bikes), people just don't bother bringing them in.
By the way, I just worked on a Chonda mower yesterday and it purred like a kitten. Of course, you had to pull the manual choke out slightly to get it there (even when warmed up). But, what the hey!

I posted about this before. We had a new B&S Intek OHV 8HP on a tiller with the rockers so loose the valves wouldnt even open. It ran once for about 30 seconds and wouldnt run again until I took it apart and adjusted the valves properly.
Funnily, Sears had sent someone out and they determined a new engine was needed.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
I worked on a Robin blower last year. About the same quality as a Poulan. It was about 3 years old and was completely worn out from just homeowner use. No Robin small engines yet. Maybe that means they're quality or it might mean that, because they're so cheap (the ones off the internet for mini bikes), people just don't bother bringing them in.
By the way, I just worked on a Chonda mower yesterday and it purred like a kitten. Of course, you had to pull the manual choke out slightly to get it there (even when warmed up). But, what the hey!

Thats the only way my Chonda powered pressure washer will run too. Whats up with that ? do they burn too lean or something ?

Originally Posted By: lexus114

Thats the only way my Chonda powered pressure washer will run too. Whats up with that ? do they burn too lean or something ?

If a touch of choke is required to smooth out the engine or to get it running when already warmed up, it's probably a lean condition. If you can access the main jet and see if it can be either replaced with a size bigger or possibly enlarged, I bet it would help.

A word of warning, jet orifices are very small and extremely sensitive to tampering. If you are so inclined to try to open the main jet up a bit, I'd recommend the use of a cutting/welding torch cleaner if you can find one small enough. Very little opening is required to get the desired effect.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Originally Posted By: lexus114

If a touch of choke is required to smooth out the engine or to get it running when already warmed up, it's probably a lean condition. If you can access the main jet and see if it can be either replaced with a size bigger or possibly enlarged, I bet it would help.

A word of warning, jet orifices are very small and extremely sensitive to tampering. If you are so inclined to try to open the main jet up a bit, I'd recommend the use of a cutting/welding torch cleaner if you can find one small enough. Very little opening is required to get the desired effect.

Agreed it is touch and go when opening up a jet. You can get too big in a hurry. They are relatively cheap if you can find incrementally bigger sizes. I drilled out a lawn boy that was too lean......we now use it for mosquito control it runs so rich. On the other hand, I have had great success opening up mikuni carb jets in ATV's. Good luck!

I have a whopping 2 hours on a 6.75 B & S ready start cool bore......hard to judge on that.....but so far, so good! I am a B & S fan. Have some dinosaurs out in the pole barn that have earned their keep.

Last edited:
"You can get too big in a hurry."

Been there done that. I turned a couple of no. 25 pilot jets into useless pieces of brass in one pass of the smallest drill bit I had. That's where I learned the torch cleaner trick.

The Ariens tiller ($399) w/Robin Subaru @ HD has a 2 year warranty but I cant get anyone to tell me what the warranty covers, must be a mystery warranty. Sears had a similar unit for around $330 w/a MTD engine (is that a knock off of a b/s) man the non weedeater type engine'ed tillers arent cheap!

Wow ! the way it sounds,I`m better off just putting the choke on a little. BTW,it spudders when calling for power,and smells like a school bus if I try to use it with out the choke on some.

Maybe the jets just need cleaning. You could pull the carb and run a thin wire (tie wrap) through them and whatever passages you can get it into. Afterward, blow through jets and passages with WD-40 and compressed air after that. Might be all it needs.

Newer small engines are trimmed lean out of the box due the EPA. Lawnboys were notorious for surging out of the box. As said above, you might improve performance by slightly enlarging the main jet. Check for any vacuum leaks first before going that route. Also, sometimes a high altitude unit gets sent to lowlanders by mistake.

EDIT: And I will take a Honda or Robin over any non Vanguard Briggs anytime.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: punisher
Newer small engines are trimmed lean out of the box due the EPA. Lawnboys were notorious for surging out of the box. As said above, you might improve performance by slightly enlarging the main jet. Check for any vacuum leaks first before going that route. Also, sometimes a high altitude unit gets sent to lowlanders by mistake.

EDIT: And I will take a Honda or Robin over any non Vanguard Briggs anytime.

Never thought of that one !

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro

We have had many Kawasaki and have not liked a single one of them. From 12.5hp to 23hp they have all been troubled engines.

1. Always hard to start in the mornings
2. coil issues
3. Fuel issues
4. not lasting nearly as long as our many kohler engines
5. HP to HP they always feel weaker than our kohlers
6. Oil leaks at the sump

Then why did you keep buying them?

I used to be a staunch supporter of everything Honda, but the 160 just doesn't live up to the Honda name as one would expect. I'm speaking as someone who works on 20 - 30 of them a year. Now, when you consider they make thousands, that's kind of a small number, but I'm talking 3 out of 10 (unheard of odds for a Honda) don't run smoothly no matter what I do with them. I remember the first Honda I ever worked with. The mower was on it's side for 45 minutes while I replaced a hard to reach cable. I flipped it over (it was 40 degrees outside), pulled the cord once and it fired right up. The 160 just doesn't stack up even to the next up in the Honda food chain. I have to admit I haven't worked on a Kawasaki for a couple Summers since I started shying away from working on commercial equipment (except for that of a few friends). They could have raised a little on the sh*t meter too. I like Kohler and have to admit that I mostly, these days, see them to get the oil changed, the fuel system evacuated and for general cleanup after the end of the season. My opinion of them could be because I've seen so many worn out ones. Ah...another year really gets started tomorrow. Lots of mowers, lots of work. Plenty of scantily clad (middle-aged--my speed)ladies dropping them off!

Check out my post just above yours. I keep asking on this forum and others about the Honda 160 which I have owned for 10 yeaqrs,: Just what is their failure mode? Mine has been perfect for 10 years and almost 550 hours. It has never had any engine or carburetor work. It goes 50 to 60 hours without burning any oil.

I have been wanting to get a rear wheel drive mower for some time now, but I don't believe this Honda is ever going to wear out.

A Honda engine would be my first choice for any new mower.

Honda make some very good engines abd thr GX series are good. Every spring I see lawnmowers with B&S motors out at the curb waiting to be picked up for garbage. They likely wont start and and rather than fix them the owners just buy a new mower. In 30 years I have not seen a Honda mower at the curb...

Originally Posted By: 1999nick
I used to be a staunch supporter of everything Honda, but the 160 just doesn't live up to the Honda name as one would expect. I'm speaking as someone who works on 20 - 30 of them a year. Now, when you consider they make thousands, that's kind of a small number, but I'm talking 3 out of 10 (unheard of odds for a Honda) don't run smoothly no matter what I do with them. I remember the first Honda I ever worked with. The mower was on it's side for 45 minutes while I replaced a hard to reach cable. I flipped it over (it was 40 degrees outside), pulled the cord once and it fired right up. The 160 just doesn't stack up even to the next up in the Honda food chain. I have to admit I haven't worked on a Kawasaki for a couple Summers since I started shying away from working on commercial equipment (except for that of a few friends). They could have raised a little on the sh*t meter too. I like Kohler and have to admit that I mostly, these days, see them to get the oil changed, the fuel system evacuated and for general cleanup after the end of the season. My opinion of them could be because I've seen so many worn out ones. Ah...another year really gets started tomorrow. Lots of mowers, lots of work. Plenty of scantily clad (middle-aged--my speed)ladies dropping them off!

Check out my post just above yours. I keep asking on this forum and others about the Honda 160 which I have owned for 10 yeaqrs,: Just what is their failure mode? Mine has been perfect for 10 years and almost 550 hours. It has never had any engine or carburetor work. It goes 50 to 60 hours without burning any oil.

I have been wanting to get a rear wheel drive mower for some time now, but I don't believe this Honda is ever going to wear out.

A Honda engine would be my first choice for any new mower.

And I have a cheapie 20 year old lawn mower with B&S that never needed any carburetor or engine work. I passed it on to a relative and it still runs. I bought a Honda and it did need carburetor work and it always smokes oil on startup. I never liked it, and I got a new mower with a B&S and I like it a lot better. Hondas residential mower engines being better than B&S is an old wive's tale.

In this area all Governments either federal or municipal all use Honda power equipment. This includes all commercial landscapers, forestry companies, and utilities. Haven't seen a B&S do any serious commercial work for over 30 years. (Vanguard excepted)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back