Honda Brake Fluid, Opinions Needed Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
As A newer Honda vehicle owner, I am finding more about the cost of maintenance seems to be higher than a comparable American Vehicle. Recently discovered that Honda recommends changing the brake fluid every 3 years, Ok fine. But of course you must only use Honda brake fluid as the vehicle will implode and all your toes will fall off. It tells you that you can use DOT-3 as an emergency replacement, but Honda fluid should be installed ASAP. REALLY ? Is it really different ? Anyone have any data on this ? I'm going to scream if I have to make another trip to the local Honda Stealership for another fluid...

As a Honda owner with 2 Honda cars under my wings (all 1st owner), I don't even know where you got that information from.

Q.

Its in your owners manual. Take a look in the maintenance schedules charts.. that is where I found this information. Also the owners manual tells you about using Honda fluid only. Of course it does not say the vehicle will implode or your toes will fall off. It just tells you that you risk corrosion and early failure of brake components.. something to that effect.

lol, what youre finding is what we found with my wife's integra. it cost more to maintain than our American and European cars!

I have to wonder if the Honda fluid is DOT 4, thus the language. If so, they are essentially saying that they put a superior fluid in there, and so if you mix DOT 3 in, you are sacrificing the high-temp performance of your brake fluid.

Ive seen plenty of cars that say to do it yearly or every other year. IMO it is a good idea, as the fluid that bleeds out often has a brownish hue to it that was not like the original fluid.

Interesting if the honda fluid selection states that you will risk corrosion... maybe the honda fluid is a better grade, or has a better anti-corrosion additive... Id doubt it, and would imagine that what they are really saying is to have OE performance, use high-quality fluids.

Originally Posted By: HondaDude822
Its in your owners manual. Take a look in the maintenance schedules charts.. that is where I found this information. Also the owners manual tells you about using Honda fluid only. Of course it does not say the vehicle will implode or your toes will fall off. It just tells you that you risk corrosion and early failure of brake components.. something to that effect.

Brake fluid is brake fluid, period.

Standards call for either DOT 3 or DOT 4 and that's it (DOT 5 is silicone fluid which is completely incompatible with all other glycol-based brake fluid).

My manual states that to use Honda Heavy Duty Brake Fluid DOT3 and all those liability jargons that follow. Am I gonna chew on their wordings just to go with their fluids? Hexk nope. Everybody with proper mechnical knowledge knows that DOT-3 is DOT-3 and it's standardised to be compatible all across the board, regardless of brand.

So, why dwell on their wordings? Are you going to buy tires straight from Honda stealerships just because of their liability wordings?

My 2c's worth. Brake fluid is just one thing I don't really care about so long as they are DOT approved and fresh off the retailer's shelves.

Q.

Manual says use Honda Dot 3 Heavy Duty.

I would not use standard Dot 3.

Use Dot 3 Heavy Duty, Dot 4 or Dot 5.1.

Do not use,under any circumstances, Dot 5 Silicone BF.

You can go up but not down(ie standard Dot 3)

You don't need most Honda branded fluids.

Unless you want Dino ATF.

Redline D4 ATF is better.

Prestone PSF for Honda/Acura is $2.49 @ Wallyworld

Lubegard sells an additive that makes any PSF a Honda/Acura PSF

For Coolant I prefer Honda Type II Coolant.

Or you can use Zerez for Asian Vehicles.

Obviously you don't need Honda branded motor oil. That is Mobil Clean 5K rebranded.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
lol, what youre finding is what we found with my wife's integra. it cost more to maintain than our American and European cars!

I have to wonder if the Honda fluid is DOT 4, thus the language. If so, they are essentially saying that they put a superior fluid in there, and so if you mix DOT 3 in, you are sacrificing the high-temp performance of your brake fluid.

Ive seen plenty of cars that say to do it yearly or every other year. IMO it is a good idea, as the fluid that bleeds out often has a brownish hue to it that was not like the original fluid.

Interesting if the honda fluid selection states that you will risk corrosion... maybe the honda fluid is a better grade, or has a better anti-corrosion additive... Id doubt it, and would imagine that what they are really saying is to have OE performance, use high-quality fluids.

+1 to that. Unless you are living in Africa or so, otherwise: so long as you live in the motoring continental North America, most automobile maintenance-related fluids and stuff are of very high quality already (in general, you don't wanna go buy some custom-brand API SA motor oil from middle-of-nowhere).

Knowing that most OE fluids for Japanese built Hondas are supplied by Idemitsu (Jpn build), or in North America, could be one or more of the domestic major oil supplier (Exxon-Mobil, etc.), so why all the fuzz?

I'm using Castrol LMA (low-moisture afinity) variations. Not afraid to use ATE brake fluids too).

Q.

It has been my experience that most auto makers recommend their own brand of products. I have owned 2 1989 Accords and currently own a 2003 Accord. The only Honda labeled fluid I use is ATF Z1.Brake fluid is no big deal and any brand Honda approved PS fluid is fine.

Do you know what would be a suitable replacement for Honda's Dual Pump Fluid ? (it is used in the rear differential) ?

Originally Posted By: greenfordtruck
any brand Honda approved PS fluid is fine.

Well, Honda does not approve any non-Honda branded fluids.

Fluid manufacturers claim it meets Honda specs.

honda brake fluid is nothing special. Most dot 3 brake fluids are "synthetic" anyway, so they meet/come close to dot 4 temp ratings anyway.
Unless you race the car, drive fast, brake hard, dot 3 is more than adequate.
If you want, spend the 75cents and get the dot4 stuff. you'll never know the difference.

I've had DOT 3, 4, and now 5.1 in my TL. I've gone from stock 5at brakes to Rotora 13" with 4 pot calipers.

In my experience, ABS function is enhanced with the use of the much thinner 5.1 fluid. On my Nitto NT05 tires I could stop nearly 20' shorter from 60mph with the ABS fuse pulled. With the 5.1 fluid, the ABS feels more aggressive, I actually get chirps from the tires when it's engaged and though I haven't gotten around to measuring it yet, stopping distances are a bit shorter.

Honda brake fluid cost no more then any other aftermarket high quality fluid so what is your problem? Buy online if you have dealership scream reflex. Their conventional motor oils way better then any other dino's in autoparts store including major brands. They’re no Dual Pump fluid substitutes.

Originally Posted By: gaspo
Honda brake fluid cost no more then any other aftermarket high quality fluid so what is your problem? Buy online if you have dealership scream reflex.

Honda BF is a standard brake fluid.Not equal to high quality aftermarket BF. They price it like was something special though.

Originally Posted By: gaspo
Their conventional motor oils way better then any other dino's in autoparts store including major brands.

Honda conventional is Mobil Clean 5K. No better and no worse. Sold at a premium at most dealerships.

Their 0w-20 is something special but that is not "dino."

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Just use the cheapest DOT 3 you can find. We're not going to moon here.

Bingo!

Originally Posted By: HondaDude822
Do you know what would be a suitable replacement for Honda's Dual Pump Fluid ? (it is used in the rear differential) ?

Unfortunately the Honda Dual Pump Fluid is something you're going to have to buy from Honda (either online or dealership) as no other lubricant manufacturers have offered any alternatives yet.

Quote:
Just use the cheapest DOT 3 you can find.
Quote:
Brake fluid is brake fluid, period.

Not so. Some brands of brake fluid exceed the minimum spec and/or continue to exceed the minimum spec for longer than others.

By the way, all brake fluids are synthetic. There is nothing natural about polyglycol ether nor silicone.

I don't know what the big deal is. I have 3 bottles of Honda brake fluid sitting in my garage. Maybe I should sell it to the OP since it is in such short supply?

Japanese and Euro brake fluids are based on a blend of borate ester and glycol ester - as are DOT 4 fluids. DOT 3 is mostly glycol ester. All glycol ester fluids are made from some from of PAG(polyalkylene glycol) or monoethylene glycol esters. Dow, CCI, and BASF make the stuff along with a few other chemical firms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back