Is Walmart EverStart as good as Sears DieHard

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 02 Accord is still on its original JC battery produced for Honda North America. I know it's made by JC and wonder if that's the same battery made for DieHard. Since I can't find group 24 at either Sears or KMart, I stopped by Walmart and notice EverStart is about 15 dollars cheaper. With exception of oil and few name brand items, I rank Walmart products very low on the quality ladder.

On a side note, Costco also does not have group 24 battery. I wonder if this will be hard to get battery in the future because not enough cars equipped with it. My battery is almsot 9 years old and is still very strong. I am going to use it as a Bubba Jump Box for my Corolla.

Does anyone know if Honda still use JC from the factory and that is the same battery spec made for name brand such as DieHard?

Finally, who makes battery for Costco?

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
My 02 Accord is still on its original JC battery produced for Honda North America. I know it's made by JC and wonder if that's the same battery made for DieHard. Since I can't find group 24 at either Sears or KMart, I stopped by Walmart and notice EverStart is about 15 dollars cheaper. With exception of oil and few name brand items, I rank Walmart products very low on the quality ladder.

On a side note, Costco also does not have group 24 battery. I wonder if this will be hard to get battery in the future because not enough cars equipped with it. My battery is almsot 9 years old and is still very strong. I am going to use it as a Bubba Jump Box for my Corolla.

Does anyone know if Honda still use JC from the factory and that is the same battery spec made for name brand such as DieHard?

Finally, who makes battery for Costco?

The Everstart will serve you well. In my opinion, the diehard is overpriced.

Everstart by far and there is always a walmart around no matter where you are if you need to warranty it.

Originally Posted By: DieselTech
Everstart by far and there is always a walmart around no matter where you are if you need to warranty it.

I have echoed that comment in the past and have gotten flak for it, but it is definitely true. I find that no matter where I travel, there is a Wal-Mart nearby and if you have any battery problems you can always swap it out. Otherwise, Interstate makes a decent battery in my experience.

Originally Posted By: qship1996
why not go to the dealer and get another honda badged battery?

Because dealership are full of hatholes that love to cheat customers, especially those who only come in once every 4 years like myself. I have this car for almost 9 years and I only came in 3 times in the first 2 years before I found BITOG. I don't trust dealership and they will even cause problems on the car to screw customers over in hope of repair. The last time I was in was for warranty work because my brake light stayed on all the time. They charged fir 50 bucks because they said it wasn't covered. They also provided me with a $4000 work write-up that I must do because my family safety is in great jeopardy for driving around in such car. The only things my car really needed was brake fluid change and new tires along with a wash. I paid 460 dollars for the tires at BJ's and 69 dollars for the fluid change at Pep Boys. I change my brake fluid out every 4 years instead of the 2 as recommended. With my style of driving, I can easily get away with 5 years since my pads are still 80% at almost 100k miles.

Again, dealerships are full of hatholes. They turn me away from buying new cars because I don't want to deal with them and the hassle of warranty work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
Originally Posted By: DieselTech

I have echoed that comment in the past and have gotten flak for it, but it is definitely true. I find that no matter where I travel, there is a Wal-Mart nearby and if you have any battery problems you can always swap it out. Otherwise, Interstate makes a decent battery in my experience.

I agree Interstate is my 2nd choice not to mention yet again 200,000 dealers in the US to warranty it. Batteries fail and usually at the most inconvient time so warranty availability is most important

The way it is now, I think I'll get EverStart from Wally. I thought about testing how long this factory battery will last though. I think it should be 10 years easily.

Just a crazy question but should I just keep a jump box in the car and see how long my Honda JC battery will last. I'll change it at the first fail to start. However, my wife drive this car sometime and she doesn't know zhit about car.

Costco is made by JC, keep an eye out, some are American made while others are mexican. Good battery my AcDelco (JC) battery died after 9 years of service.

The way it is now, I think I'll get EverStart from Wally. I thought about testing how long this factory battery will last though. I think it should be 10 years easily.

Just a crazy question but should I just keep a jump box in the car and see how long my Honda JC battery will last. I'll change it at the first fail to start. However, my wife drive this car sometime and she doesn't know zhit about car.

Cheap insurence....replace it if it's a concern especially with summer approaching

walmart batteries are junk. walmart squeezes every penny from their suppliers, so I bet they are made cheaper some way. I had a walmart everstart only last a year. no joke. I have good luck with duralast batteries and in my family vehicles. I realize that both are made by Johnson Controls in most markets. it's probably walmart's doing that they are made cheaply

let me get this right. You got an everstart, it died in a year so you bought another 90.00 battery instead of warrantying the current battery from walmart? This to me sounds fishy that someone wouldnt take advantage of warranty but would rather throw 90.00 at another bat with the same warranty. Depending on when this was it might not have been a JC bat. Exide for many years did make Walmart bats and they were junk like all exide bats are....except the orbital.

I have had 2 in a diesel for over 3 years.....no issue and they are JC everstarts. In AZ your lucky to get a battery to last 2 years, ungodly heat kills them, but the Everstarts have held up well.

DieselTech,

I am not the fellow you responded to but I can understand why some people don't claim warranty on car batteries. I had a AAP Autocraft Platinum battery in my infamous Corolla. The car doesn't want to start once in a while. I had AAP tested both the alternator and battery numerous time and both passed. Finally, the car just wont start even after being left running for 30 minutes so I changed the battery with a Costco brand instead of trying to get AAP to probate me toward another battery. I think I had that battery for around 3 years which may be slightly longer than the 3-year free replacement.

I just didn't want to deal with an AutoCraft battery. However, if it happens after one year, I would get a replacement. For the Costco battery, I keep the receipt and will get the warranty if it ever goes bad. Sometime, we do illogical things to get the problem solved right away.

Originally Posted By: defektes
Costco is made by JC, keep an eye out, some are American made while others are mexican. Good battery my AcDelco (JC) battery died after 9 years of service.

My is almost 9 years old but it hasn't died yet. I am not going to return it but rather I'll keep it to be used as a jump box for my Corolla. For some reason, Costco didn't have my battery. I'll stop by and make them order it tomorrow.

Is Interstate sold at Walmart? Who makes it?
No. I've seen "Johnson Controls" batteries at WM, and they seem to work great.

From what I've experienced, they have no problems honoring warranties on batteries. The Everstart "Max" they sell are warrantied at 3 years, 2 years pro-rate, so even after 3 years, the battery dies, you'll get a proration to kick in for your next battery.

sure, they got some hoops you gotta jump through to prove it's a "bad battery" basically, if you come in with a battery they test it with their voltmeter, to see how many amps it's cranking, it'll either say good battery, replace battery, or a charge required (I've experienced all 3 at one time or another....lol).

If it's a "Good battery" or "charge required" and you still aren't satisfied (i.e.: you believe it to be a bad battery) they hook it up to their diagnostic machine outside and can test each cell to see where it's stumbling. If that machine deems it a bad battery, you'll go forth with the refund/warranty.

I've had good luck with Everstarts, but yea, the heat/cold KILLS them especially this past couple months. My bud that works at the local WM has had many battery complaints cause of the weather change, it'll be cold one day, hot the next, cold, etc...and it takes a toll on the battery; avg lifespan here for a battery is 24 months lol.

http://www.autobatteries.com/selector/index.asp?make=2343&model=806&year=80&brand=10 you didn't mention the engine size but yea you got some options for your vehicle:
MAXX-24, 700 CCA
Plus Power 25-3, 525 CCA
Standard Power (Value I think they call it now....) 26-5, 525 CCA

AFAIR, the only difference between the 3 branches would be the CCA rating, and the warranty, MAXX has a 3 year replacement warranty, Plus Power has 2 year, and Standard/Value has a 1yr warranty.

But yea, if you shop around you'll find many batteries are made by the same companies, since there's only a couple battery "manufacturers" - Interstate Batteries are made by Johnson Controls, for example; http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4023696 lists some other examples too.

I think I'll stop by for Wally zappy after work tomorrow. So much for trying to save some money this month. LOL. Actually, it is not a waste if money is spent on house and car upkeep.

Someday I will buy a car of my dream.

I would buy only the everstart Maxx for walmart.if i was getting a Walmart car battery. Note you must keep proof of purshase(receicpt) for warranty calim. that the only key bad thing about getting a walmart car battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back