Very Interesting Findings on the Cost of Bulk Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
While doing a google search to look for a local oil distributor, I came across an oil distributor's newsletter and pricesheet:

http://www.myradistributing.com/flyers/Myra.pdf

In short, I was astonished by how inexpensive engine oils are when purchased in bulk. Oil Filters are also incredibly cheap, as are detailing chemicals. Here are some examples:

Service Pro Synthetic Blend 10w-30: $5.19/gal in bulk
Service Pro Synthetic Blend 5w-30: $5.39/gal in bulk
Service Pro Synthetic Blend 5w-20: $5.49/gal in bulk

Irving Advant 5w-40 Full Synthetic: $14.50/gal in bulk

Oil Filters are $1.39/each or so, as indicated by the price list.

So, quick lubes are obviously making a reasonable amount on each quart they sell you if they are using a generic product like Service Pro.

Does anyone know how much Pennzoil or one of the top-brands cost in bulk?

The prices of the various grades of Service Pro oil also explains why some shops insist on using 10w-30 for every car they service-- it IS the cheapest bulk oil. It also explains why some shops have an upcharge for 5w-20 even if they stock it in bulk, as 5w-20 still commands a price premium over other grades.

Comments? Thoughts?

I'm pretty certain there is a nice markup on oil and filters, in fact most auto parts in general. I had a good buddy that ran an auto parts store and just the difference between what the shops pay and what the retail customers is pretty impressive. They certainly are making money off the shops too.

I recently priced some Lubro Moly MoS2 at AAP, they were asking $6.99 same bottle at NAPA was $4.39, and my best guess is NAPA is probably easily doubling their money. Oil is more competitive but they aren't giving it away either.

i think wal marts bulk oil is around a 1.20 a qt...pennzoil too...i work at a place that makes seals and if we sell a big transmission seal for like 8$ it probably retails for like 30$ easily

Thats the point, Ive been trying to point out on here for years, most dealers, quick lubes and garages are using 10w30 oil, regardless of the model and make. More cars are being run on 10w30 then all the rest combined. 10w30 is suitable for all cars, regardless of where you live or what you drive, yet the hordes that study their owners "bible" cease to believe that. They continue to believe that thier car will even have enough battery power to churn that thick 10w30 in any less than 50 degree weather. Ive even seen posts that consider 10w30, a obsolete oil, go figure.

drums cost much less to purchase, fill, package, ***market***, and sell. Notice they are house brands which make them even less expensive.

I forget the exact numbers, but with a can of Coke, the can costs double the product inside.

I don't doubt you.
Unless you change your own oil, you don't really know what's going in.
10W-30 is suitable for most engines in most climates almost all of the time.
You might only get 250K out of your engine, less than you might using an optimal weight, but how many would ever know?

Places that use bottled oil will usually put in whatever weight your engine calls for.

Bulk oil is usually 10w30 and they pump that into all vehicles....it is the cheapest.

Isn't 10w30 sometimes thinner than 5w30 on starup?

Not every shop puts in just 10W-30...

Oil.jpg

I have 10W/30, 5W-30, 5W-20, and 15W-40 all in bulk. The initial cost sucks, but I just can't bring myself to screwing with people and not putting what their car calls for.

That's a nice find. Was curious when I went to WM for my oil change and wiper blade install, they asked me if I wanted their "bay wiper package" which is $5/blade.....lol, I said nah, I'll go with the ANCOs, they did give me the barcode/UPC though and they are "SuperTech" brand, come in a boring cardboard package though lol since they aren't displaying them for the customer appeal :)

This post kind of brings up a good point, these quick lube places can really be putting whatever they want in your vehicle; as long as the receipt displays the "correct" viscosity/grade Oil, and capacity for your engine+filter, it's "all good" for warranty purposes, should the engine decide to blow up :p So yea, who knows if that "5W-20" is really 5W-20 coming out of that hose in their bay, for all we know it could be 10-30 I suppose
wink.gif

My shop carries all castrol products with an exception
5w30,5w20,0w20nippon,10w30,0w30,20w50. Conventional and synthetics.

I myself also cannot put the wrong weight in a customer car, whether it matters or not.

And bulk prices are very good like gtx is pretty cheap. We buy like 300 gallons every two weeks. But synthetics like gc,syntec, and edge. I am saving maybe like 20 cents if I buy it from my shop compared to walmart. Except for edge our cost is insane on that. 7.50 a qt. You should see what we charge per qt of edge make ur hair stand up on the back of ur neck. Oil in single bottled qts is not much of a difference in price from walmart

Last edited:
Up here, shops are paranoid about putting in what the car calls for as a CYA move.

When I worked at WM, whatever it said on the cap, you put in - no ifs, and, or buts. A customer wanting a different grade was politely told, sorry, we have to put in what the car calls for, nothing else.

Ask me about the battle I got caught in with the guy who wanted 20W-50 in his very old Golf........

If the cars oil cap didn't specify anything at all, it was assumed it was 5W-30, NEVER 10W-30 or 5W-20. But if there was any indication on the oil cap or in the engine bay, that is what went in. All shops/QL/dealers up here are like that.

Addyguy, quick footnote, Volkswagen 2.0 engines pre-96 with high miles do better on 20W50. The oil pressure warning goes off frequently in hot weather if it runs 10W30.

As for other vehicles, non-VVT engines are tolerant of viscosity switch-ups. Engines with any sort of variable valve timing using cam phasers can work improperly on wrong oil, resulting in driveability issues and check engine light. In fact I've witnessed different brands of oil working differently in VVT engines. For example, some Honda's and Nissan's don't like Pennzoil. The oil creates deposits in the cam phasers and causes them to stick.

Originally Posted By: mag44
Addyguy, quick footnote, Volkswagen 2.0 engines pre-96 with high miles do better on 20W50. The oil pressure warning goes off frequently in hot weather if it runs 10W30.

As for other vehicles, non-VVT engines are tolerant of viscosity switch-ups. Engines with any sort of variable valve timing using cam phasers can work improperly on wrong oil, resulting in driveability issues and check engine light. In fact I've witnessed different brands of oil working differently in VVT engines. For example, some Honda's and Nissan's don't like Pennzoil. The oil creates deposits in the cam phasers and causes them to stick.

This thread was almost 5 years old.....

I try to buy all of my oils and filters for the prices of the BULK or le$$! For example:

The latest Auto Zone $1/qt for Castrol Synthetic Blend oils. Or oil/filter specials that are FAR. And I have paid little for my stash of filters and have even gotten many of them FAR as well.

I love doing my own maintenance and repairs. I find it therapeutic and gratifying. Plus, I hate the workmanship of others on my vehicles and will only pay someone to work on our vehicles when absolutely necessary!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back