Fluid for a GM A5S390R transmission in a BMW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone.

My father has a BMW 330XD with a GM transmission, the A5S390R.

For what I know, this transmission has proven to be reliable in petrol BMW and in some Cadillac and other GM vehicles, but, when mounted in 6 cylinder BMWdiesel, it's been really bad.

BMW did an awful election with this transmission, as the 390 means the maximum torque that the transmission can hold up with, so 390NM, while the 330XD has a 410NM max torque.

The same applies with many BMW 530d, and, specially X3 and X5 models.

In Spain, the list of owners of these vehicles with transmission failure is huge, specially dramatic the number of cases in the X5, X3 and 330XD cases (it's rare when they got past 150.000 km / 100.000 miles without breaking the transmisssion), the X means permanent 4x4, so it seems it doesn't help.

It also doesn't help that BMW, at least in Spain, doesn't include the fluid change in their maintenance programs and it's advertised as a lifetime fluid.

In my father's case, the transmission said it had been enough with 100.000 km / 70.000 miles, and had to have it rebuilt.

Now it has 160.000 km and it's time for a fluid change. I was thinking into moving up to Dexron VI (the specified fluid from BMW is Dexron III). The BMW guys said: no way!!, you can only put Dexron III fluid as it's what it's been designed for. If you want to put a better quality fluid, put a fully synthetic Dexron III, but never Dexron VI.

I don't trust them much as you can imagine, so I didn't even bother to explain them the downwards compatibility of Dexron VI with the previous fluids.

Anyway, even though I'm leaning into using Dexron VI, I'd like to ask your opinion and ask if you recommend a particular brand or any other alternative for this transmsission.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I think Dex VI is a much better fluid and is fully compatible in place of Dex III. Any major brand of Dex VI would be good.

TranSynd fluid has the same frictional properties as Dexron III, but it is much tougher than Dexron III and has a higher viscosity than Dexron VI.

Can you get Mobil 1 ATF there for reasonable price? That is a good, compatible fluid for your dad's vehicle that will hold up much better than non-syn DexIII. Conventional DexIII is now an obsolete spec and not licensed. The DexIII was known to shear and lose viscosity, causing extra wear if not replaced often enough. The Dex VI starts out thinner, but is very shear stable and is a modern formulation with more durable/reliable friction properties as well. So DexVI is definitely an option if a good syn DexIII type fluid is not readily available or is cost prohibitive.

Thank you guys.

Transynd is available, but it's incredibly expensive, I could replace it with Castrol Transmax Z, wich, according to Castrol, is very similar to Transynd. This is cheaper but still very expensive.

Believe it or not, Dexron VI is still a rare thing in Spain and some mechanics haven't even heard about it. Not strange in a country where 80% of the vehicles are manual. Amsoil and Redline are not officially imported, just small racing shops that asks obscene prices like 25€ / 35 USD per liter.

Mobil 1 motor oil is widely available, but not the same with the ATF. Mobil just import their economic range of mineral ATF's, not Mobil 1.

So my choices on synthetic (at least partly) oils get reduced at the moment to Fuchs Dexron VI, Gulf Dexron VI and Motul Multi ATF, that it's not fully synthetic I believe, as it's advertised as synthetic based.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/MOTUL/MULTI-ATF-8449-%28GB%29.pdf

Of the ones you have listed, I would buy the cheapest and most convenient to purchase. Any of those would be a good step up from regular DexIII/Mercon type conventional ATF.

Thank you bmwtechguy. I suposse I'll get the cheapest from those. Probably the Fuchs Dexron VI.

Talk about another automaker engineering snafu. Its not the 1st and won't be the last.

Preventive maintenance intervals, improved ATF cooler, ATF filtration, along with a better ATF, are you easy upgrades.

I'd use any full synthetic DexronIII, or any DexronVI.

You definitely need to convince these owners to practice some more frequent maintenance intervals.

You could look into see if there are any possible part upgrades that would help the transmission deal with the extra torque and last longer.

Seems there is a 5l50e which handles more power. So it may be possible to use parts from it to make the 5l40e handle more or even swap the transmission totally to a 5l50e.

The 5L50 is able to handle vehicles up to 5000 lb (2268 kg) GVWR. Final drive ratios include 2.93:1 and 3.23:1. The 5L50 can handle up to 311 ft·lbf (422 N·m) of torque.

Petro Canada DuraDrive MV ATF is a full synthetic that offers MUCH better performance than DexIII and has a similar viscosity to DexIII - but with double the oxidation life. This fluid meets many MB and VW specs too.

DexVI was developed by Petro Canada for GM and has a lower viscosity. Most US and many other OEM atf is supplied by PC.

Perhaps PC European makes this product available in your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back