Harbor Freight Jack Stands OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read some on here claim HF jacks are fine. How about their jack stands? They have their 3 ton on sale for $14.99. I'd use them 1-2x/yr for occasional tire rotations. My vehicles weigh 4500-4900#. Would the Craftsman ones be any better at $10 more? They are both made in China.

If I were to ever go with cheap(er) jack stands, I would go about 2x the weight I was suspending off the ground. That comment is a personal opinion, though.

My HF jackstands are fine for occasional use. A set of the red jackstand pads on top is also nice. Don't bother with the Craftsman ones, they're also hecho-en-China.

If I'm gonna be under the car, I use jackstands and have my floorjack applying very light pressure as well so I have 2 means of support.

Tire rotations you shouldn't even be under the car. They'll be fine. Remember we live in the land of personal injury lawyers, HF is a step above billy ray's smuggled goods flea market stand.

If you do wind up under the car supported by these things, or any jack stands for that matter, throw something like your takeoff tires under the car as well.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Tire rotations you shouldn't even be under the car. They'll be fine. Remember we live in the land of personal injury lawyers,

This part is very true.

I have a set of Craftsman ones that were gifted to me years ago, 6 ton high lift. Same set is sold at the store for 25 bucks plus tax. I have used it on my truck, jeep, and other vehicles a billion times. The craftsman jacks on the other hand...garbage.

Thanks for the input. I would love to buy the USA-made
Hein-Werner stands, but just like most, $ is tight. I couldn't justify the cost for how often I would need them. I don't plan to be under the car. If under, it's on ramps. The Craftsman ones have good reviews, and I do like the red color vs. orange. But again, they are $10 more (that's the cost of 2 oil filters:)). The stores are about the same distance from my house. I'll probably swing by HF before the coupon expires.

I tend to agree, and would prefer to buy US. However, if I were to "avoid Chinese junk", my house would be nearly empty: no toys, not much furniture, electronics, etc.. (hey -- that's a thought -- I'm telling the kids we're "getting rid of all toys made in China").

Once again, I don't plan to be under the vehicle. How is it a "health concern"? Maybe if I accidentally get some paint in my mouth an swallow it -- when the jack stand crumbles under the weight of my truck?! :)

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Where did your computor come from Torino?

I have some old Pc3200 ram laying around that was made in canada.

HF jackstands are fine. if you can, i would go with the 6 tons. those are some HD mofos...or even more HD the 12tons as someone pointed out

Last edited:
If it's rated for a certain weight then I'm sure it'll hold.
They're not very complicated tools. I doubt there's too many
stories about these things collapsing under load. Most cases
probably due to people placing them in the wrong spot. I
bought cheap chinese ones at BJs years ago and ain't afraid to
use them. I do place tires under for extra piece of mind. I'd
do that whether the stands were U.S. or chinese made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back