10w30 compare new Rotella T5 and standard

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are both SM CJ-4. First column the standard 10W30 Rotella, second column the new much awaited synthetic blend T5. Blackstone comments that both are good oil and should work well with very little difference.
Aluminum....0...0
Chromium....0...0
Iron........0...0
Copper......0...0
Lead........0...0
Tin.........0...0
Moly........0...3
Nickel......0...0
Manganese...0...0
Silver......0...0
Titanium....0...0
Potassium...7...3
Boron.......37...23
Silicon.....3...5
Sodium......3...1
Calcium.....2132..2234
Magnesium...7...8
Phosphorus..976..975
Zinc........1189..1197
Barium......0....0
Flashpoint F435.. 415
Fuel........0....0
Antifreeze..0....0
Water.......0....0
Insoluables.TR...0
SUS [email protected]
cST [email protected]
TBN............10.0..9.6

looks almost like the same thing, all numbers look like they are within measurement error.

yup looks no different.
21.gif

So what would be better about the new oil? The basestock possibly keep the TBN high longer for longer drain intervals?

Because "higher quality" is an irrelevant and arbitrary term. Pao doesn't mean magic juice that is better in every way, as some make it out to be.

Originally Posted By: RonH
So what would be better about the new oil? The basestock possibly keep the TBN high longer for longer drain intervals?

Although they appear identical, there are differences in the base oil which a VOA may not make obvious but might be apparant in other tests not shown on a VOA....Perhaps some difference in shear resistance and pour point...

for future searchers....
I read where johnny corrected himself on another thread.
He said he misspoke and T5 is group II/III, no PAO.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Main difference in the base stocks. The old was all Group II, the new is a Group II/PAO blend.
Seemed like an interesting oil but for the price I am not sure that the oil is worth the extra $$$ over chevron Delo 400??

Gents,

I know I'm digging up old info here, but I've been looking into HDEO options for my '13 Ducati Multistrada, and RTS/T6 keep coming up... SR-T6 is going in now, but these bikes chew it up pretty quickly, and it's on the low side of viscosity for my climate. I like RTS due to the higher viscosity at 15W-40, but it uses a lower-quality base stock. T5 in this viscosity seems like a solid alternative, but it's not JASO MA/MA2 like the other two flavors... I'm not finding any VOA's, new or old, but this one in 10W-30 shows no moly, which is usually the FM of concern for wet clutches.

All that said, any reason to think 15W-40 in its latest iteration has more moly or other FM's I should be concerned about? I'm looking to do 2.5k OCI's and filters every third OCI, at 7.5k while at the dealership for their "short interval" service.

I'm also considering M1 15W-50, as it is also Wally-World cheap, and VOA's show very little moly.

Thanks!
Nick

Found a good post on this in another thread... that more or less answers my own question. Apparently SOPUS reps suspect T5 15W-40 would also pass JASO MA/MA2 if tested, as it contains no wet clutch problem-causing FM's, just like the JASO-spec'd regular Rotella T and T6:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3316547/LoneRanger#Post3326330

And at $16.47 shipped and no tax via Amazon Prime, I'm picking up 4 jugs and hopefully will have UOA's on this and the T6 that just went in the Duck later this spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back