Filter cross reference

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a Snapper ZTR mower . The B%S engine has a 696854 filter . I crossed it to a Fram PH8170 . Are there any better options out there or is the Fram ok ?

MotorCraft FL-400s is what I started using on my B&S. About $4 at Walmart. It is about 2 inches longer than the B&S filter. The Fram is about 7 dollars at Wally (if they have them). I cut open a Black Can briggs filter 492932S after 100 hours of use with Rotella-T. See it here B&S Filter

Briggs filter is very well made, but the MC filter is just as good for a lot less $$$.

Dave

However appalling Frams look inside, there is little evidence that they don't work as well as anything. The 8170 number can be found in several other brands such as ST or QS. You can go to http://www.wixfilters.com/filterlookup/index.asp and find the WIX number. Drop the initial 5 and you have the NAPA Gold or Silver numbers and the Car Quest red and blue. Where are you buying filters for your car? If you have confidence in what you buy of it, I am sure wherever you buy them, they can cross a Fram number.

Since clearance will be an issue, stick with OE. The black filter 492932S is very well made (Champion Labs, I believe). Maybe small, but it is tough and has thread end bypass and silicone ADBV. They are about 10 at Lowe's or H.D. It is about a dollar more for the yellow (premium) one. You may be able to find a better deal on Amazon though.

I did not have the clearance issue, so I gave my wallet a favor and went with Motorcraft.

In your profile, you say you are down South. Delvac or Rotella would be fine oil to run in that too.

Last edited:
If you need the really short filter, which is 2.3in, the STP 3512, from Autozone is a cheaper relacement filter. Their under $4 a piece.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back