substitute for marine steering oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering is there a good substitute for $20 a quart marine hydraulic steering fluid.I just bought a boat and the owner has been using transmission fluid.The steering manufacturer and my boat dealer says to use trans fluid only in an emergency.The fluid calls for MIL spec H5606C.Is there a fluid that meets this spec other than $20/qt "marine"oil/fluid?

I am installing a system for my outboard that uses this expensive fluid. I would think there would be something compatible, but they scare you away from that line of thinking.

any atf, thf, stou, ps- fluid or iso vg 32-46 hydraulic oil.
This is a low stress usage any way, but change
the oil sometimes.

What is iso vg 32-46 hydraulic oil.What about aw32 hydraulic oil?Its in auto parts stores and is cheap.

Just plain hydraulic fluid.
its what every escavator or wheelloader use typically..
for thousands of hours moving dirt and soil. That´s a much higher
load than your steering will ever see.
-But, hydraulic oils doesent mix with water so id go for a
THF (universal tractor tranny fluid) wich has some mixing ability. And change the stuff now and then- its cheap.
If you use hydraulic fluid, check for water..try to heat a sample and se if it forms bubbles, if so change.

My buddy picked up two gallons of Royco 756 at the local airport for $28/gal. It is Mil-PRF-5606 which supercedes Mil-5606. You can buy it at an airport or online.

The link for the data sheet on Royco 756 didn't work. Just google it.

Here is some more Tele/Seastar info:
http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/PWR_STEER/power.htm

Here is a link to a bunch of PDF on Seastar steering. Install, maintenence etc.

http://ww2.seastarsteering.com/PDFs/PDF_files.htm

I'll try to find the new number for the filter. I am going to try to buy one at Jerry's Marine. They list it but out of stock.

The old filter # is 821723, superceded by HP6140.

Go only for the original requested steering oil, as too dangerous to use any others unless you by chance what to enter into emergency situation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back