Regular gas on car requires Premium

Status
Not open for further replies.
is premium necessary?
Some people say Turbo or high compression car is required...
How high is considered as high compression?
Have seen some people say it runs fine and some say runs like [censored]...
anyone tried regular gas on car that requires premium?

If the car requires premium run it.Usually the timing will retard so much thal performance will drop and worse the mpgs will drop as well.

Yes, I use regular gas on 1994 Lexus LS400 that requires premium for more than 5-6 years. Normal driving is fine, but the power with regular gas is less than rated power with premium, specially when it is hot outside such as driving to Vegas in summer.

If it's a turbo/supercharged car that says premium only in the manual, then only run premium. It's a false economy to save $3 at the pump and blow up your engine.

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
is premium necessary?
1. Some people say Turbo or high compression car is required...
2. How high is considered as high compression?
3. Have seen some people say it runs fine and some say runs like [censored]...

1. Most of the time.
2. matter of opinion, 10.5 and up
3. Yes I have.

There are alot of variables when it comes to octane requirements. Compression, timing to name a few. What it really comes down to is combustion chamber temps. Octane is the resistance to detonate. Some cars have knock sensors and pull timing which immediately lowers the combustion chamber temp and kills premature fuel ignition.

However for knock sensors to work, they have to first hear knock. So if your ok with your pistons taking a beating constantly in a "premium" recommended engine then have at it.

My dad had a 94 mazda 626 that had 91 octane recommended, I think he filled it up once or twice with 91 in the 200,000km he had it. Car ran fine with 300,000km on it when it was sold.

My car recommends premium and it's pretty much what I've put in it since I bought it a little over a year ago. What is curious though is that the best mileage I got without being conservative was the first tank of gas I filled with 89 and a bottle of Regane. I've tried 93 with Regane and haven't been able to replicate it. I tried regular once and it did feel different but I still had more than enough power. I might try it for a few tanks coming up to see if I there is a big enough difference between 87 and 93 in terms of mileage and engine performance. If the mileage goes down more than 1-2 mpg then it would end up costing the same as 93.

Does anybody know what the compression is on the VQ35 used in the 5.5 gen Maximas? IIRC it's 10:1 or 10.3:1 but I'm not sure.

edit: I just checked my mileage log and the one tank of 87 was only about .3 mpg less than the fill ups with 93 and the same driving conditions.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carzzz
is premium necessary?
Some people say Turbo or high compression car is required...
How high is considered as high compression?
Have seen some people say it runs fine and some say runs like [censored]...

Carzzz,

If my 08' Impala SS say to use premium then that what I'll do even though the books say it will accept 87 or 89 octane. By doing so my mileage/performance will suffer and since the gas tank is small getting the most mileage is important to me.

Durango

My turbo Volvo calls for premium. I've run regular for the last 100,000 miles or so (presently 180k) with excellent results. On a long high speed trip, especially if there is mountain driving, I'll use premium, but even then when we're on the flats just like everyday driving I notice no difference.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
If the car requires premium run it.Usually the timing will retard so much thal performance will drop and worse the mpgs will drop as well.

Very true.

For myself, I go one step further and actually disconnect the knock sensor. I NEVER want it to go off. This is a common modification in performance street car sites.
I then simply use appropriate fuel.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Originally Posted By: Steve S

Very true.

For myself, I go one step further and actually disconnect the knock sensor. I NEVER want it to go off. This is a common modification in performance street car sites.
I then simply use appropriate fuel.

I know my RX would never let me get away with that one.

My 01 RX-300 gets better MPG with 93 octane but feels lethargic. I never thought this would happen.
87 octane feels much more responsive and the MPG is only a little less. In other words, the MPG of 93 octane just about offsets the cost differenct. I use cruise control just about all of the time so, Im creating my own controlled environment. Never fails, 93 get better MPG(about 7%-8%). Cost difference, about 7%-8%.

So, I did an experiement. There is a straight flat stretch of farm road near our housing developement. Nothing around but a cow or two. I use this road for timing my cars(0-60 only). I have a very expensive Fisher Scientific Stop Watch(easy to start/stop and reset) that I use along with just stomping on the gas. I run the vehicle in both directitons several times. Im consistant with myself in the way I do this. Not trying to get faster times, just trying to see if there is any difference in my seat of the pants feel between octanes. This isn't Car&Driver but it still shows consistancys or lack of. My results are:

87 octane-0-60...8.6 sec. +/- .02 sec. aprox. 18mpg city/22 highway. Often a bit lower on both city/hiwy.
93 octane-0-60...9.4 sec. +/- .02 sec. aprox. 19.5 city/24 highway. Often a bit high on both cith/hiwy.

I have used/tried other octanes such as 89 and 91 but have not tested them in 0-60 only MPG. 87,89, & 91 octant all get about the same MPG with a couple of tenths of one another. I've tried them for several tankfulls. The 93 octane is where the difference comes in. Better MPG but the most lazy feeling. Not terrable, just noticable in the seat of the pants feeling. This is fine when we're just tooling/cruising around or on a long freeway trip at a set speed, 60, 65, 70 mph with the CC on. Good MPG while on a leasurely drive.

Exactly. Most people that run regular in a vehicle requiring premium figure they are saving money because of the cost difference between the two. Reality they are spending the same if not more by doing so. So why get less performance to spend more money? Run what the manufacturer recommends.

Originally Posted By: Maritime Storm
Exactly. Most people that run regular in a vehicle requiring premium figure they are saving money because of the cost difference between the two. Reality they are spending the same if not more by doing so. So why get less performance to spend more money? Run what the manufacturer recommends.

My OM stated that 87 octane is fine but if I want "better performance" to use 91 octane or higher.
I don't know what they mean by "better performance". I thought it would mean faster exceleration but instead I got a bit better MPG. Maybe it varies.

My RX 330 runs very well on 87 octane,but i get 1.0 mpg less than on the 89 octane. No difference in power or mpg`s from the 89-93 octane.

If you can't safely disconnect your knock sensor, you are not using fuel with enough octane.
Whatever tune is in there is not compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back