Valvoline VS Castrol

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have used Valvoline all my life and I have been very satisfied with the performance of my engines.

However all things are never equal, especially price.

I wouldn't let anybody tell me what to use so why are you?

Both are very good oils,I prefer Valvoline. Don't listen to the guys that say "Valvoline has a weak add pack", they have no idea what is in the add pack. If you look at VOA's of Valvoline and Castrol you will find that they are very similar. The Valvoline UOA's that you will find on this site are as good as any others and better than some.

We use valvoline in our fleet vehicles (several 6.8L Ford V10's, GM 350 V8's, etc)..

All get the oil changed around 3-10k intervals using 10w30 or 10w40 Valvoline all-climate depending on season... All have been thoroughly abused, and none of them have had any oil related problems.. We've even got a 90 GMC 2500 5.7L delivery truck (this truck sees HEAVY loads on a regular basis) with over 170k having used valvoline it's whole life that is still running strong.

I'd personally choose whichever is cheapest.

quote:

Originally posted by meeze:
Valvoline, its American.

Yeah, that's a legitimate reason to pick it over Castrol.
rolleyes.gif

Castrol. Based on the VOAs posted of GF3 oils, Valvoline has consitently shown that they blend their oils with the minimal add pack necessary to meet API specs. And Valvoline UOAs that I've seen haven't been all that impressive. Castrol, on the other hand, consistenly shows good UOAs.

GF4 has leveled the playing field somewhat, but Valvoline would still be my last choice among name brand motor oils.

Hey G-Man what is wromg with picking a product based on the fact that it made it is from the good ol USA? Valvoline performs just as well as Castrol.

quote:

Originally posted by meeze:
Hey G-Man what is wromg with picking a product based on the fact that it made it is from the good ol USA? Valvoline performs just as well as Castrol.

Because I think that's a stupid reason to pick a motor oil. I've been reading UOAs on here since 2002 and IMO Castrol outperforms Valvoline based on those UOAs. How well an oil performs is my criteria for whether or not to use it, not where it's made.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
I have gotten a lot of free oil from Valvoline. I will continue to use free oil from Valvoline.

I'm with you! My engine won't blow up with free valvoline.

My VW Jetta seemed to love Valvoline AC 20w50. When i sold it @ 225,000 miles it was running great and never burned a drop of oil in its life.

The guy up in NJ that owns that Volvo with something like 2 million miles on it swears by Volvo recomended Catrol.

I bet your car will be just fine whichever you choose;) I also bet your car would be just fine on Exxon Superflo at a fraction of the cost of the others.

If you're going for a longer oil interval I would suggest Castrol, I believe all the Castrol oils have a higher TBN.

However, for 3K-5K intervals there isn't hardly a lick of difference between them. I love my Valvoline Maxlife and have had bad varnishing experiences with Castrol in the past (early 90s). Im sure the formulas have changed, and people do tend to like Castrol just fine, but I prefer Valvoline in my car. I get better wear numbers with 5W-30 Maxlife than I do Mobil-1.

The difference between the two oils mentioned is at best minimal. If the engine blows up it prob has something to do with the engine manufacturer and not the oil.

Castrol........though Valvoline is a ok oil, try Phillips Trop Artic semi.,,wally world has it very reasonable and is a good choice over the above.........BL

Maxlife is the only Valvoline oil I'd use. I've used GTX in the past, and had no problem with it. Honestly, I've never used Valvoline. However, we can all agree that this site has opened our eyes to many things, and since having my eyes opened, probably wouldn't use Valvoline AC unless I could get it dirt cheap. Sorry, but if I can get Pennzoil for $1.68 a qt on sale, I'm going with that. If I can get a gallon of Exxon Superflo for about 6 and a half bucks, I'm going for that. H3ll I even bought a 5 qt jug of ST dino for less $6.38 @ Wallyworld. But, ~$2 a qt for Valvoline AC just aint worth it to me, especially when you can get Havoline for less, and we all know how everybody is
worshippy.gif
about Havoline. I'm no expert, but I tend to trust folks with more knowledge than me. And if those with more knowledge (real knowledge not just hear-say) said that the best oil on the planet was some rinky dink $.50 a qt oil that you'd see at a grocery store, then guess who's gonna be stocking up lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back