motorcycle commuters

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone else use their bike to commute to work on nice days? also what mods have you done to make the ride and the day more comfortable?

i've put almost 1,000 miles on mine just the last two months and last year added a cigarette lighter outlet under the seat to charge my phone while riding if it becomes low(don't wanna breakdown without being able to reach anyone) i've also started listening to music in some headphones inside my helmet to keep me from getting bored,i also found singing along to make the ride seem quicker haha

I ride almost daily. I upgraded from a Sportster to the Road King in January of 2009. My commute is 90 miles round-trip, and I put 13,000 miles on my bike from January 5th, through September 17th when I deployed to Iraq. Because the Roadie came with saddle bags, I haven't felt the need for any modifications.

I commute to work every day as long as it's not snow and ice, but only a 7 mile round trip, so not a huge accomplishment even if it's below zero. I started working here in 03/79 and had a new blue Kawasaki KZ650 I rode here and parked in the same spot on the sidewalk up until 1996 when I retired it and used another blue KZ650 from 1996 until the present time, so for 31 yrs now there's been "the same" motorcycle sitting out front. I get people coming in just to ask and comment quite often.

Absolutely! Signed up for my MSF course/license spring of 08 when gas was going through the roof, passed exam in october (first available slot!), got bike in november, then stared at it all winter.
lol.gif

Bike is a beater 82 Yamaha Virago XV750; the starter is such junk I usually park on a hill and roll start it. Never polished any chrome or anything. My split shifts give me one night ride and one day ride so I have to bring lots of extra sweatshirts.

Last summer was first full of riding, 2000 new miles on bike, 12 miles one way. Saddlebags hold lunch. June/July was a horrid nonstop rainy monsoon season; I hope this March got that out of the way!

I ride to work year around unless its pouring. Of course that's not saying much down here. I haven't even cranked my car since last week.

Remember, the annual ride to work day is June 21st this year.

If you need music while you ride, because it stops you getting bored, You're doing it wrong!

42 miles each way, every day there's not ice and snow on the road...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tree Hugger
If you need music while you ride, because it stops you getting bored, You're doing it wrong!

42 miles each way, every day there's not ice and snow on the road...

haha,its pretty well a straight road with empty fields on each side. not much to do/see to keep from being bored and annoyed of the windnoise

I ride the 35 miles to work and back when the weather permits but only then.

I rode enough in the cold and rain when I was young to never want to do it again.

I did get to ride 3 days this week. Pretty nice for this early in the year.

I ride to work from April through October, and usually the first week or two in November, but this year started in March due to the warm weather. Usually about 30-35 miles each way, though I take a variety of routes depending on the time I have and the weather. I do tend to take the car if it is raining hard in the morning, especially when it's cold in the early and late season. But, I also carry a rain suit in case. I use a tank bag and a tail bag to carry my stuff. Keep my valuables (wallet, cell phone, keys) in a "click-clack" type of storage container so I can easily grab the whole lot if I stop somewhere, and it keeps everything bone dry. Put on a sheepskin seat pad this year, and so far I really like it. Just a bit more comfy. One of the best products I've found for commuting is Clarity Defog It to keep my visor clear on cold mornings.

I usually ride Mar thru Nov, but I don't start riding to work until the temps are in the 50s when I get up in the morning. Any colder and it's just not enjoyable.

Originally Posted By: dime
anyone else use their bike to commute to work on nice days? also what mods have you done to make the ride and the day more comfortable?

I have found that a trunk or top-box is indispensable for commuting and makes my bike more useful for running errands. I bought a cheap one from JCWhitney when I first got my BMW and I figured that I would get a better one later on but this one has held up well for 2 years and counting. Here is a link to the box:

linky

And here is a pic of it on my bike:
327610601_tmEz9-L.jpg

When gas prices got real high, I started seeing those dang scooters running around. Well, at 100-mpg+ I saw the logic in it. I use mine as much as the weather permits, only a 15-mile round-trip to work and all back/side roads.

2009 Honda Metropolitan - 300-miles now. 28" seat height and weighs in at a whopping 170-lbs (full tank).

Only modification is a water-bottle holder (for Pepsi).

metro-side2.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: outoforder
What's the price tag for one of those little things?

Well, normal retail was 2200, got it for 1800 in late November - new models coming in and cold weather coming on.

Best time to buy.

Scooters can't be beat for utility purposes. They have enormous storage and everything about them is smart. Storage is down low under the seat, keeping center of gravity low, simple reliable drive system and suspension, simple reliable engine and easy to live with ergonomics. Everything about them is oriented for practical application. And, to top it off, some of them look pretty sharp too!

I do not commute other than taking the KLR650 on the 120 mile round trip to camp and back occasionally. I've got it equipped with side boxes that I built from a set of hard plastic Tough-box tool boxes. They provide me with plenty of storage for eats and other supplies.

If a manufacturer made a 500cc scooter designed with more suspension and capable of dealing with rough gravel roads, I'd certainly be interested in that.

Originally Posted By: boraticus

If a manufacturer made a 500cc scooter designed with more suspension and capable of dealing with rough gravel roads, I'd certainly be interested in that.
have you looked into hondas silver wing line of scooters? they're around 600cc

"have you looked into hondas silver wing line of scooters? they're around 600cc"

There are several with sufficient displacement. It the suspension and tires that would need to be modified to handle rough gravel roads. Not real extreme but sufficient enough to deal with pot holes, washboard and loose gravel.

when the weather is above 50' My wifes 250 ninja goes to work with me. It also doesnt hurt that it can get up to 70mpg if i can manage not to wring its neck durring the ride. Ive been looking online alot lately though.. considering stepping the wife up to a 650. I wouldnt want to use my bike for a DD, hypersport tires arent cheap.. save em for my days off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back