BEST place to bring old OIL after you do an OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know walmart collects it but they have some red tape and really don't like to waste their time fooling with walk ins w/used oil but what places are the easiest to bring used motor oil to for recycling? How bout used oil filters too?

Last edited:
Most auto parts stores will recycle oil and it's completely painless. I take mine to an Autozone just down the road. I don't even have to talk to anyone. Walk right back to the big blue oil bin, dump my used oil, and leave.

if you bought your oil from walmart, return it there. Essentially, take it back to wherever you bought the new stuff from.

Around here, there's a local gas station called Crystal Flash where you can take your oil and just dump it into the tank in the back of the parking lot for free. It's always unlocked too, so you don't have to interact with anyone.
thumbsup2.gif
Oil filters on the other hand, haven't found a good, reliable source to take them. My local Wal-Mart is hit/miss on them.

I go to the nearest quicklube, they let you pull up walk in and pour it in their tank and leave.

Just pour it down the sink

I am just kidding!!! Never do that! Heehee!

Our local garbage collection company does it in my area. One truck comes and picks up the actual garbage and the other one takes care of the recycling bins. I just have to have the oil in a clear one gallon milk jug and they take it away. As many jugs out there as i want. Pretty handy. People should call yours and ask them about it, cause i hear more and more areas and garbage companies are doing it.

In my area, the part stores Advance Auto, Autozone, and Pep Boys accept used oil, but NAPA and Carquest don't accept it.

Weird.

I guess I am lucky to live in a city that has oil recycling booths around town. They're covered shacks with large tanks for oil and special "trash cans" for oil filters. Pretty convenient.

robert

Originally Posted By: robertcope
I guess I am lucky to live in a city that has oil recycling booths around town. They're covered shacks with large tanks for oil and special "trash cans" for oil filters. Pretty convenient.

robert

Pretty cool, wish we had those! They say TX is booming now...???

Your local dump/transfer station will likely have a tank you can dump your oil in without bothering anyone. That's where I take mine.

Up here in Canada there is an additional environmental charge on all oil , filters and other chemicals that can be collected when you puchase them .

Problem is that they really have not set up recovery centers where you can take these yet but I'm hoping they come available soon within a reasonable driving distance .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back