Ticking noise at idle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple weeks ago my Dad and I were showing my car to some family members who came to visit. Anyway, after my dad pulled the car out of the garage and popped the hood open he left it running while we showed them the car and talked. After a few minutes we noticed an irregular ticking sound coming from the engine. The car had been idling maybe 5 mintutes or so. My dad and I just figured it was because it was idling for so long and had low oil pressure because it was at idle. The noise stopped when it was revved. We didnt think anything more of it because the car runs great.

The car currently has Amsoil 5w30 and an Amsoild SDF filter.

I saw a post on srtforums the other day about this same issue and that is what prompted me to post here. Heres a link to the post...

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232961

Heres a link to a video of an srt4 doing the same thing at idle. Mine wasnt doing it as much as this car and it stopped when revved.

http://home.graffiti.net/jarvy/ENGINE_TICKINGSRT4.mpg

Is this something that needs to be worried about??

Maybe Injectors?
dunno.gif

Mine tick quite a bit at idle and with some throttle positions while going down the road.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by XB70:
Ray,

Assume it's a PT Cruiser Turbo until further notice.
wink.gif

I think your correct... Same motor (close) as a SRT4..... Or neon..

Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

PS: Good detective work there!
cheers.gif

Try a good fuel conditioner,partly clogged injectors,long idle ,lower fuel inj. pressure can cause a weierd tick,,alsolook for anything touching belt(s),,,,or worse yet ,a weak valve spring,though you can tell if you pull plugs,,,Amsoil makes a very fine lubricant,and I do not think lubrication is the problem...BL

I would say injectors. my dodge 4.7 is very loud. took it in and they said its the injectors. place your finger on one of the injectors and if the pulse of the injector is in sync with the sound you hear. then thats what it is.

oops! Sorry about that guys, forgot to add some important info.

The car is a 2004 PT Cruiser Turbo. The car is modded with the Mopar Stage 1 PCM, 2.5" Dual Exhaust, Hard intercooler to throttle body pipe, K&N drop in air filter, Mopar BOV, Hard turbo to airbox pipe. Car runs great.

My '04 civic's EGR valve ticks when it is cold outside for some reason. When the temp warms into the 50's and higher, it goes away. From what I researched, it is completely normal.
dunno.gif

FP and LC may help correct things. Complex issue. Either you have worn lifters, something loose in the engine, dirty injectors, worn injectors, dirt/slude/varnished valves/lifters, normal characteristic of oil/viscosity used, etc....you could also do a run or two of auto-rx. What's the mi. on the engine?

Well I just found out that there is a service bulletin from Chrysler that relates to this issue.

"NUMBER: 09-007-04
GROUP: Engine
DATE: March 2, 2004
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair.
SUBJECT:
Irregular Engine Snapping Sound
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves chamfering the bore radius on cam bearing caps
L2 through L5 and R2 through R5.
MODELS:
2001 - 2004 (JR) Sebring Convertible/Sebring Sedan/Stratus Sedan
2002 - 2004 (KJ) Liberty
2002 - 2004 (KJ) Cherokee (International Markets)
2003 - 2004 (PL) Neon
2001 - 2004 (PT) PT Cruiser
2001 - 2004 (RG) Chrysler Voyager (International Markets)
2001 - 2004 (RS) Town & Country/ Caravan/Voyager
2003 - 2004 (TJ) Wrangler
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles equipped with a 2.0L, 2.4L DOHC or 2.4L
Turbo engine (sales code ECC, EDZ, ED1, EDV, ED2 or EDT).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The sound may be noticed when the engine is idling in park between idle rpm and 1400
rpm at normal operating temperature. The sound is on the upper end of the engine
(cylinder head) towards the front of the engine or passenger side (right side). The sound is
irregular, not periodic or harmonious. The frequency of the sound will increase with RPM.
The sound is more of a higher pitch snapping noise not a low metallic knock.
DIAGNOSIS:
If the vehicle operator describes the Symptom/Condition and the technician determines
that the sound is from the upper end of the engine (cylinder head) towards the front of
the engine or passenger side (right side), perform the Repair Procedure.
09-007-04 -2-
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
1. Remove the cylinder head cover (Refer to information available in TechCONNECT
9 - ENGINE/CYLINDER HEAD COVER - Removal)
2. Remove L2 cam bearing cap (Fig. 1).
NOTE: Do not remove the #L1/R1 or L6 cam bearing caps, or loosen the fasteners.
NOTE: Only remove one cam bearing cap at a time.
Fig. 1 CAMSHAFT BEARING CAP IDENTIFICATION
3. Lightly chamfer the two bore radius edges with a small hand file, creating a 45 chamfer
1.0 to 1.5 mm in width along the edge of each bore radius (Fig. 2).
CAUTION: Be careful not to scratch bore surface of cam bearing
cap. Chamfer both bore radius.
Fig. 2 CAMSHAFT BEARING CAP
1 - CAM BEARING CAP RADIUS
4. Clean part to remove any aluminum filings prior to reinstalling.
-3- 09-007-04
5. Reinstall L2 cam bearing cap by loosely assembling fasteners. Prior to and during the
torquing of each fastener, twist the cam bearing cap by hand in a clockwise direction,
as viewed from the top of the engine. Torque M6 fasteners to 12 N·m (105 in. lbs.)
while maintaining a clockwise twisting force on the cam bearing cap.
6. Repeat steps 2 through 4 for cam bearing caps L3, L4, L5, R2, R3, R4, R5 and R6."

Not sure if that is something I'd want a dealer tech doing to my car. It involves chamfering the bearing caps by hand. So it looks like it basically is down to oil pressure? If it was your car would you take it in?

It doesnt look like a major issue just annoying. Quite a few SRT4s and PT GTs seem to have the same issue. Some have the dealer fix it and some dont.

BoostedCruiser wrote:

"Not sure if that is something I'd want a dealer tech doing to my car. It involves chamfering the bearing caps by hand."

I completely agree. That is definitely something I would be doing myself.
wink.gif

yeah something like that. you would prob want their master mechanic doing that. sounds like something thats not done on a reg basis.one of those questions of take a chance or live with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back