2007 Jetta 2.5 Oil Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question about the oil grade for my vehicle. More specifically, why? My Jetta calls for 5w40. I get the difference between the first and second numbers. My question is why does my vehicle call for a 5W40?

What does the 5W40 bring to the table over a 5W30 or anything else for that matter? If my understanding is correct, the 40 is thicker than the 30. Just curious as to why my vehicle seems to need something thicker.

Any knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

Wish I knew why VW engines require the 5w-40 oils.

My 1986 VW motor never saw anything but on sale 10w-30 and towards it end 5w-30 oil and ran like new till its death @ 394,000 miles in January.

They do the longer OCIs with would require a more stout oil has to be in the mix, but all of their requirements along with their problems made sure when it came time to get another vehicle I passed on VW (and my wife loves their wagons)

I think the engine would do just fine with a 5w-30 and ocis that met your operation of the motor.

Take care, bill

My wife has a 07 Bettle with the same engine. I use Castrol Syntec 0W-30 which meets the VW specs but is not on the offical VW approved oil list. If you are not under warranty I would use that oil. Car runs extremely well. If the car is still under warranty I would use Castrol Syntec 5W-40....OR

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_syntec_usa.pdf

Mobil 0W-40. Both are VW approved, easy to find and reasobaly priced for VW spec'd oil.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_0W-40.aspx

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil_1_0W-40.asp

Thanks for the replies.

I think I am under warranty for another year. I believe it is 4years/50k miles. Have to check on that.

I did see in the manual that 5W30 is acceptable. What, realistically is the difference between 5W30 and 5W40? Is the 40 just a little thicker? What is the reasoning behind having a thicker oil in the engine? I would think thinner would be better to a certain degree. Bill, your idea on the longer OCI seems to make sense.

Would there be a noticeable increase/decrease in MPG with either grades?

The reason I ask is I leased this car in 07, my lease is up and I've decided to buy it. When it was just a leased car I didn't really care about these things. It was just a car I'd turn in(I still took care of this car above and beyond). I'm going to start changing my own oil and am just curious as the reasoning behind the 5W40.

As an aside, you can tell from my posting history, I was gone for about three years(occasionally looking in). My last car was a 99 Rodeo and I could do all the fluids on that plus some other maintenance. It was fun. When I got the VW, it was an intimidating looking vehicle as far as working on, not to mention there wasn't anything to really do. The engine compartment is covered in plastic which makes it very difficult to get at stuff. The plus of having the engine covered is at oil change places they can't up sell anything because they can't get at the air filter or any fluids under there without spending serious time removing the cover.

Reality is, I miss changing oil and doing minor stuff, so I am getting back in the game.

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
I use Castrol Syntec 0W-30 which meets the VW specs but is not on the offical VW approved oil list.

GC 0w30 is now on the Official VW Approved List.
thumbsup2.gif

Light 30 works if you don't drive 100mph all day. It's about the oil temp combined with the starting visc. At 20 degrees cooler, the 30 *IS* a 40. That's why Euro cars spec 40, because of the driving style.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Light 30 works if you don't drive 100mph all day. It's about the oil temp combined with the starting visc. At 20 degrees cooler, the 30 *IS* a 40. That's why Euro cars spec 40, because of the driving style.

very interesting. Thanks. So, are you saying I'd be fine running a 5W30 all year round? Would a 5W30 provide me with better gas mileage?

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
Here is a list of approved oils. Again I like the way my wifes Bettle runs on Castrol 0W-30 (GC) including MPG increase. I now see that castrol 0W-30 is on the approved list, just not reccomended, meets or exceeds the specs. Thanks for the heads up.

http://www.audiusa.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/aoa/company/aoa-specific.Par.0023.File.pdf

Thanks for the list. Looks like most are on there(at least the popular ones I see at the stores).

What kind of MPG increase have you seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back